• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is the Internet for you?

Doorman

New Age Mage
Benefactor
Reaction score
I just watched a cool video from a magician I really like about the internet. For you guys that are more experienced in magick, what do you think about the internet? Is it a form of modern Astral Projection? Something completely new? What are the laws of the internet?

Magicians from the past could only dream about having access to the internet, so we are truely lucky to be experiencing this right now.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Given that we depend on the net and do nothing to brig it into being, I'd say it's a danger to magickal attitude. Aleksandr Dugin was rather more blunt: it's a tool for making man's kinds stupider than they already are.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Given that we depend on the net and do nothing to brig it into being, I'd say it's a danger to magickal attitude. Aleksandr Dugin was rather more blunt: it's a tool for making man's kinds stupider than they already are.
I go with the guy from fark .com who said "The internet has not made us stupid; it has thrown into sharp relief how stupid we already were."

As far as effects on magic are concerned, the firehose of information that is the internet interferes with the 'forgetting all about it' stage of the magical act. You can find out stuff that reduces the amount of 'wiggle room' your magic has to successfully complete in.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I go with the guy from fark .com who said "The internet has not made us stupid; it has thrown into sharp relief how stupid we already were."

As far as effects on magic are concerned, the firehose of information that is the internet interferes with the 'forgetting all about it' stage of the magical act. You can find out stuff that reduces the amount of 'wiggle room' your magic has to successfully complete in.
I love that quote! In the future I will plagiarize it endlessly.
Post automatically merged:

A new form of a public library without the Dewey decimal system.
The difference is a library has a budget to restrain impulse buying; the Net is a viper's nest of errant impulses. I know: I have posted mine there for years.
Post automatically merged:

A new form of a public library without the Dewey decimal system.
The difference is a library has a budget to restrain impulse buying; the Net is a viper's net of errant impulses. I know: I have posted mine there for years.

Parallax

Neophyte
Reaction score
I just watched a cool video from a magician I really like about the internet. For you guys that are more experienced in magick, what do you think about the internet? Is it a form of modern Astral Projection? Something completely new? What are the laws of the internet?

Magicians from the past could only dream about having access to the internet, so we are truely lucky to be experiencing this right now.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Any point of the internet was superior to its current and most degenerate iteration. In the sense it has degenerated from being a general collective of individual websites and unique designs to mostly dominated by corporations and businesses as a means of having a tighter hold on people.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Any point of the internet was superior to its current and most degenerate iteration. In the sense it has degenerated from being a general collective of individual websites and unique designs to mostly dominated by corporations and businesses as a means of having a tighter hold on people.
Good point. It used to be web searches turned up specific relevant results. Now, as soon as there's a single key word match, the search engine flushes like a toilet and spews a small flood of tangentially related replies.

Wolf

Visitor
Reaction score
It's not a form of astral projection in any sense.

I've heard technology enthusiasts saying that we are transcending via technology "Because it's not physical!!!" This is a bad take. When you get distracted by thoughts in meditation, they're not physical (they're thoughts) and that's what prevents you from meditating.

It's what's called Ruach in Qabalah, or the monkey mind, the discursive mind. That's completely different from the astral body. Saying it's astral projection shows you're working on a map of reality with two kinds: [physical] and [non-physical]. That shows a lack of understanding of the layers of being.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
It's not a form of astral projection in any sense.

I've heard technology enthusiasts saying that we are transcending via technology "Because it's not physical!!!" This is a bad take. When you get distracted by thoughts in meditation, they're not physical (they're thoughts) and that's what prevents you from meditating.

It's what's called Ruach in Qabalah, or the monkey mind, the discursive mind. That's completely different from the astral body. Saying it's astral projection shows you're working on a map of reality with two kinds: [physical] and [non-physical]. That shows a lack of understanding of the layers of being.
So them folks say they're "transcending the physical" with the Net? Sneak into their study and unplug the WiFi. Then set back 'n lissen to Transcendence howl like 10,000 banshees.