• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

What is your ritual/procedure for a new tarot deck?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I just got 2 tarot decks from my recent occult goods haul. I will make a thread about the books and decks I got soon.

For now, I am wondering, what do y'all usually do when opening a new tarot deck?

Do you just open it and use it?

Do you have a ritual to empower/consecrate/enhance the deck?

Do you petition any spirits?

Do you charge it?

Do you apply any oils/materia?

Just curious, as this is my first tarot deck.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
You can do a lot of stuff.

I’ve asked periicular spirits questions via the cards

i know a mod from the old WF dedicated her cards to a spirit.

I often just use them out the box. if you’re interested you can cleanse them by putting the deck in a plate of salt, or setting the deck in order from 1 to 78

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My new deck go-to process is putting the new deck in a dedicated bag, add mugwort and rue inside, blow tobacco smoke or smudge it and let it side outside under the moon after presenting it to my spirits. Like tonight’s full moon would be perfect for first time charging a deck. I then use a pendulum to make sure they don’t carry any vibes from manufacturing or the store.

dragonmagus

Neophyte
Reaction score
I pass my tarot and oracle cards through smoke when they are new to cleanse them and ask diety to help. Usually on a new moon sometimes not. Then when weekly through the smoke for cleansing if I'm using them a lot with others.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
You can do a lot of stuff.

I’ve asked periicular spirits questions via the cards

i know a mod from the old WF dedicated her cards to a spirit.

I often just use them out the box. if you’re interested you can cleanse them by putting the deck in a plate of salt, or setting the deck in order from 1 to 78
My new deck go-to process is putting the new deck in a dedicated bag, add mugwort and rue inside, blow tobacco smoke or smudge it and let it side outside under the moon after presenting it to my spirits. Like tonight’s full moon would be perfect for first time charging a deck. I then use a pendulum to make sure they don’t carry any vibes from manufacturing or the store.
I pass my tarot and oracle cards through smoke when they are new to cleanse them and ask diety to help. Usually on a new moon sometimes not. Then when weekly through the smoke for cleansing if I'm using them a lot with others.

Thanks for the intriguing responses guys. With the variety of methods shared, I suspect it is something one figures out by oneself and one does what one feels most comfortable/good about. But for those who don't know where to start, this is a good list of ideas to try.