• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation What is your top book you've reread multiple times?

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

dababy10

Neophyte
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it, is there a book you've reread many times over because of how great the information is? How has it changed your life?

Morell

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think that there is an honest answer to that question or in other words an occultist cannot pinpoint one book of such value. I think that only religions have such thing called holy texts, which they read infinitely and keep finding value in them.

However I can say that I have some core among my book collection which I use the most and keep returning to it, but not because of favoring them, but because of their usefulness or my need.

These books, that I use the most often are the ones I convert to e-pub so I can have them not only at home in paper, but can take them on travel in my cellphone for study anywhere. I'm really not in favor of electronic books, but found out that having them in my phone solves the issue of heavy decisions of which books to pack on travels and which to leave at home. This way the ones I'm most likely to want to read will be available. My most often used occult books made me appreciate electronic books, that's what they changed for me in my life.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Not so much reread (from start to end) but revisited multiple times for reference: Skinner's Complete Magician's Tables, Picatrix, Agrippa's 3 books of occult philosophy, many other works from Skinner, Josephine McCarthy and of course, the Buckland and Cunningham encyclopedias.

I almost never tend to reread or revisit anything unless it is for reference.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"Liber Null & Psychonaut" and "Liber Kaos" by Peter J. Carroll. Here finally was somebody who talked business, not like the old fuddy-duddies like William G. Gray or W.E. Butler where you'd ask yourself constantly what magic was actually for, irreverent but dead serious, fresh but sophisticated, no trace of bullshit anywhere. "Liber Null" (re-)introduced the Spare method of sigil magic and contains some nifty original ideas; it's the book that got me started in magic, and I'm forever grateful for that.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
"Liber Null & Psychonaut" and "Liber Kaos" by Peter J. Carroll. Here finally was somebody who talked business, not like the old fuddy-duddies like William G. Gray or W.E. Butler where you'd ask yourself constantly what magic was actually for, irreverent but dead serious, fresh but sophisticated, no trace of bullshit anywhere. "Liber Null" (re-)introduced the Spare method of sigil magic and contains some nifty original ideas; it's the book that got me started in magic, and I'm forever grateful for that.
The first book I read of his was "Psybermagick" - his first attempt to marry magic and science. A very exciting book for me. I should read it again.

I had some correspondence with him about my work, since I thought he would be one of the few people to really understand. Alas, he didn't actually read the copy I sent him and was also a bit of a dick :-(

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
The first book I read of his was "Psybermagick" - his first attempt to marry magic and science. A very exciting book for me. I should read it again.

I had some correspondence with him about my work, since I thought he would be one of the few people to really understand. Alas, he didn't actually read the copy I sent him and was also a bit of a dick :-(
Don't feel bad. I recall Charles Hartshorne's office had an entire tier on three sides devoted to books on "process theology" that authors sent him and that he had never read. He was polite enough to wave a hand and say, "I'll get to those someday." (He was then over ninety.)
Post automatically merged:

As to the question, do you mean any book, or just the occult ones? Any book: The Anabasis. (A first-hand tale of considerable hardship that does not mention the author's emotions even once. Admirable.) Occult? Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom by Nimrod de Rosario. An intricately detailed cosmology of this inverted universe of ours.

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
There's a few of the original Chaos Magic authors like Peter J Carroll, Phil Hine & Ramsey Dukes that I dip into from time to time, but I'd guess Andrew Chumbley's Azoëtia is probably the book I've re-read most often - I just seem to find new things in it every time I read it.