• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Why does some type of magic work for you? Why dont other types work for you?

Reaction score
Awards
In my life as a pagan and magician, some small wins, a lot if big losses. It seems around age of 30 or 40 things started snowballing downhill.
Raised as a Christian, I learned to love angels and hate demons, despite knowing the Biblical story of Job.
Yet witchcraft seemed to work, despite not being a hardcore wiccan, my coming of age in it was at the peak of feminist wicca.
So whats a peeson to do, but work through a book or two at a time, until something works?
Most importantly, is it consistent with results?

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
How do know yours isn't working.

Traditionally the Elemental grades bust your ass and especially Earth because it's about getting your sh*t together in the physical and building a solid foundation to build everything off of.

If you mean Low Magick then how are you going about it?

Are you selecting auspicious Astrological timings for those Rituals?

Are you also doing non-magickal things along side the Rituals to help the Magick to manifest?

It's really about shifting probabilities in your favor.

Let's say your are trying to get something to happen that without Magick is 100-1 Odds

Maybe if you undertake a Ritual at the perfect time it improves the Odds to 80-1 or 70-1

Maybe you do Non Magickal things that improves the Odds again to 40-1 or 35-1

You could also kind of split or double your power by using a Talisman alongside a 'Live' running Spell.

Let's say your baseline Magickal effectiveness is a 20% swing in your favor and at Full strength for all operations is a 10 out of 10.

Well if you have something else running in the background with no time limit it might half your effectiveness to 10% and your current Magickal strength is 5 out of 10 for a new working. The more sh*t you have running the less effective all of it will be.

So make sure you 1st cancel anything that may be going on.... which you probably have if you are doing a LBRP and LBRH together which fully shuts down everything anyway.

So back to splitting power...

Let's say you are trying to get a job.

You could create a Talisman for that where the Magick is Contained within it, Then do another Ritual for the Job that you either cast into the Macro or Saturate within an Elixir or Eucharist and consume.

So you have 10 out of 10 Power bound in the Talisman.... and you have 10 out of 10 Power in the Elixir or Live Spell.

That's better than having multiple (2) spells running concurrently where each would only have 5 out of 10 power because they would be running 'Live' whereas the Talisman doesn't drain your power because it's sort of frozen in the time it was bound if that makes sense.

Then doing practical things like sprucing up your resume and applying for tons of jobs and going on tons of interviews.

It's basically all about improving your odds as best you can.

Also if you are trying to get something to work don't ever do the LBRP and LBRH together because that is the 'Banishing Field' and fully shuts down all ongoing Operations and if you don't have your Talismans covered it will nuke those too and wipe out the Etheric Charges.

Reaction score
Awards
I agree. In my case, Im not sure I will really have my sh*t together until approved for SSDI, as no employer at a professional level for whatever reason does not want to consider me seriously. Can't say I blame them, with a decade of underemployment (which pisses me off as I could have had my sh*t together in ten years with no off time or time in between contracts).
So, when that day comes I can start to repair my life, but Im looking at a year down the road.

Low magick wise, I used a LBRP to clear the space and a Spirit LIRP and MPR and Earth LIRP as the sequence of rituals to raise energy and dismiss with a charge, using color coded candles and corresponding incense, and planetary tables. Gaelic experiments seemed to work.
But things went to hell in a handbasket, as usual, I could swear Im cursed by God and the Devil.

So I took on Christopher and Kraig as my curriculum. I dont expect AA/OTO would be different, which leaves IIH and PGM, and Quareia.
So the question is really, ceremonial magick wise speaking, when to cut your losses and try another approach.

Not just speaking for myself, just with anyone.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Didn't you use to work in Culinary at a Hotel restaurant somewhat recently?

Maybe try to catch on somewhere doing that in the meantime because a full year of no income is going to make things even more difficult.

If not that work specifically maybe try anything you have experience with even at a part time level to get the ball rolling and build some momentum in the right direction.

Magickally are you talking about that ritual as something you did recently or long ago?

I'm just trying to help you trouble shoot I guess.

But the sequence you used would only work on you the Microcosm. If you were trying to affect something external to you then it would have failed from never being linked to the Macrocosm.

If you were trying to do Low Magick/Practical Magick for Elemental Earth my suggestion would be..

LBRP + LIRH to Create the Operant Field Linking the Microcosm to the Macrocosm

Then Raise Energy w/ the MP however you will

Then Tune your Space with the GIRP for Earth using the Invoking Pentagram of Spirit Passive in Purple and Charge it with AGLA, Then Rend the Veil, and then the Invoking Pentagram of Earth in Green or Black and Charge it with ADNI and Give the Sign of Earth.

You could then Recite and Elemental Prayer for Earth followed by a Conjuration of Ghob and use a Sigil of Ghob mapped to a Kamea of the Moon using the appropriate colors..Brown, Yellow, Citrine, Russet, Olive etc etc.

From there you could Construct a Talisman with an appropriate Stone or even a piece of Paper or you could make an Elixir or Eucharist etc etc.

I mean I guess you could even use a Candle and have Ghob assist you in Charging the Candle with what you want to do and then the act of burning the candle would release it into the Macro.

And on that topic be sure to end your Ritual with just the LBRP if you are sending the Charge into the Macro but end it with only the QC if you are intending to Seal the effects into yourself/Microcosm only.

Hope that all makes sense.

That was kind of barebones off the top of my head but you probably get where I'm going.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
This is a very difficult subject, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make myself clear, so apologies in advance.

There is a way of feeling that accompanies successful magic. It may be the same for most people, it could be different; by it's very nature it is almost impossible to describe unless the person you are describing it to has also had the experience. Grant Morrison, for example, described it as a 'head-click'. I would describe it as "a kind of excitement coupled with a looking-away"

As Spock says to McCoy when McCoy asks him what it was like to be dead: "We lack a common frame of reference"

I think you need to find whatever belief system produces that feeling most consistently. This will normally be related to the degree of confidence you feel whilst performing the magic, although, as we know, disinterest ("without lust of result") is also vital to the process. This paradox between confidence and disinterest is what we have to negotiate.

As Alan Chapman puts it: "Instead of undergoing this experience: I will win some money (which is what the experience of your visualised sigil means), you undergo this experience: I hope this sigil works."

At risk of laying myself open to ridicule, one technique I use is to imagine myself as the most powerful being in the Universe in the matter of this one thing I am trying to achieve. I am super powerful as the God of Finding This One Lost Object :D

Like I said, this is the crux of what is difficult about magic. I hope I have helped.