• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Why smoke Cigars?

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ok...so I’m really curious, but why do people smoke cigars...

they seem to taste and smell like a cigarette...maybe I shopped at a bad store or they were dry?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Well, they are both tobacco, so for someone who is unfamiliar, it would smell similar.

There are differences though, cigarettes have filler and shredded leaves. Cigars use whole/large leaves and I think they use a higher grade as well.

Cigars also have no filter, and as such, are generally never inhaled, unlike cigarettes, which are.

For me personally, I smoke a cigarette when I want nicotine, I smoke a cigar when I want to savor the taste and smell of tobacco, which I love.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Well, they are both tobacco, so for someone who is unfamiliar, it would smell similar.

There are differences though, cigarettes have filler and shredded leaves. Cigars use whole/large leaves and I think they use a higher grade as well.

Cigars also have no filter, and as such, are generally never inhaled, unlike cigarettes, which are.

For me personally, I smoke a cigarette when I want nicotine, I smoke a cigar when I want to savor the taste and smell of tobacco, which I love.
I’ll need to try one next time I’m near a cigar lounge

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t smoke anything, so idk of this is an apt comparison or not. But it’s what I’ve gathered from people I know who smoke cigars.

I think a lot of it’s more about the luxury or indulgence of it, rather than the nicotine kick. As well as being a social activity. Kinda like how absinthe bars are a thing, and the people who are into absinthe generally aren’t trying to get shitfaced with it, like your typical shot-taker at a bar might be.

I remember my dad used to smoke wooden pipes from time to time, instead of his normal stinky ass Menthol cigs. He’d use loose pipe tobacco, of course, and it actually smelled completely different from a cigarette. Actually had a sweet and woody smell to it that’s kinda alright, at least from my perspective being near it and not smoking. Meanwhile the smell of dad’s cigarettes always made me want to gag, from the time I was a toddler.

I know they say raw pipe tobacco’s better for you than cigarettes, due to all the additives in the latter. While I’m skeptical that it’s still not doing at least some damage to your body, pipe tobacco seems to be less addictive. At least it was for my dad. I remember after learning to drive and finally buying my first car with my own money, he kept trying to smoke in the thing while I drove him places. And I was just like, “Oh hell naw. This is MY car that I pay for with MY money. Please do not stink it up like you did to yours.” And at one point with enough grumbling on his end, I tried to make a deal with him. He could smoke in my car, as long as he used a pipe and not the fucking menthols. I even bought him a really nice new wooden pipe for Christmas, in order for him to do so. But he still never took me up on the offer, because at that point he didn’t feel like smoking a pipe instead. It didn’t satisfy his nicotine fix, or help him deal with the pain of badly declining health quite like his menthols did.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, cigarettes have so much toxic, addictive bullshit in them. They're the worst.

Smoking loose, clean tobacco is not worse than smoking marijuana aside from nicotine being more addictive than THC.

It's not as bad as people think though, it's cigarettes with all their chemicals that are really bad for you.

And yeah, cigars are an indulgence for sure. They should never be smoked regularly, because of them being unrefined and obviously much stronger than tobacco meant for inhalation; if you smoke cigars regularly (like daily) your chances of mouth cancer increase significantly.

Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes it is financial - Mores, Sienna, Smokers Choice, Etc. Are small cigarette sized cigars, that cost two buck per pack. Swisher diamonds are two for a dollar, but instead of emptying the tobacco for a blunt, I will just smoke the cigar.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
He’d use loose pipe tobacco, of course, and it actually smelled completely different from a cigarette. Actually had a sweet and woody smell to it that’s kinda alright, at least from my perspective being near it and not smoking
I got started with pipe tobacco. The flavor and smell were nice, depending on the brand. I once got a small metal tin of pipe tobacco which had a sweet leathery aroma. The contents were compressed, so they took a bit more work to get ready in the pipe for smoking, unlike the typical Captain Black or Prince Albert that comes shredded, ready to stuff and puff. I don't recall the brand now, but let me tell you, I got such a nicotine hit from that little luxury tin of pipe tobacco, I had an erection. I will also say that it would be a huge mistake to smoke a tobacco like that on an empty stomach. I did so once, and it made me quite nauseated. Later, however, I got into smoking American Spirit menthols. It became an expensive addiction that I gave up a year ago around the same time I started walking for my health. I did buy some drug store brand pipe tobacco since I gave up the cigarettes, but the nicotine hit was practically nil. After the bag was gone, I've not bothered to purchase any more since then.

Jackson

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I don't often, and while I was never a heavy smoker I am working on quitting. But a cigar is a different experience from cigarette, and a dollar cigar is also cheaper if that's all you want. Just don't be fooled into thinking it can't restart an addiction. I am lucky this lifetime it's the only drug problem I had, but I'd just assume avoid it my next.

Reaction score
Awards
Ok...so I’m really curious, but why do people smoke cigars...

they seem to taste and smell like a cigarette...maybe I shopped at a bad store or they were dry?
Im often tight on money, my first preference is Juul pods, but they are 11 a 2-pack or 18 a 4-pack.
Cigarettes are currently 7-9 a packing my area.

Cigars, however...
20 cigars in Sienna or Smokers Choice. I can't smoke full flavor or puke with each hit. Menthol is the only way for me, and only up to a half a one at a time. 2 bucks a pack out the door.
2-pack of Swisher Sweets Diamonds, probably the best tasteless, and the #1 choice for blunt material. 99 cents for two.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Im often tight on money, my first preference is Juul pods, but they are 11 a 2-pack or 18 a 4-pack.
Cigarettes are currently 7-9 a packing my area.

Cigars, however...
20 cigars in Sienna or Smokers Choice. I can't smoke full flavor or puke with each hit. Menthol is the only way for me, and only up to a half a one at a time. 2 bucks a pack out the door.
2-pack of Swisher Sweets Diamonds, probably the best tasteless, and the #1 choice for blunt material. 99 cents for two.
Idk why but I picture you as not American but British, juul is horrible for you I’ve heard

I use to vape at a tiny shop

we had a cigar shop but the humidor was badly kept

Reaction score
Awards
There is a really good tobacco shop in downtown, but geared for pipe smokers.
On the other side of town, there is a tobacco shop in a mini mall with a well kept smoking lounge and humidor.

Reaction score
Awards
Id love to see a dispensary dominos chain occur with the same thing, humidor/lounge. Shuttle as well. Canna-cigars, now those are fascinating to me.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
For living healthy you have to stay away from anything that is not declared kosher or halal from the ruling medical institution of your culture. For believing in them, they say, you will be granted extra years to your lifetime. What they don't say is, you do not get the extra years now. You will get them at the end. When you are old, hurting all over and fighting through each day; when you are all alone and your life turns more and more into a living hell. And for that you refrained from fun and enjoyment all the time.

My best cigarettes were imported from Arabia. Black tobacco, black paper and shiny golden filters. Their deep blue smoke used to transfer me in a world of thousand and one sensuous dreams of Arabian nights. Smoking is a ritual for me, a celebration.

My pipes are listening to my thoughts and retell them, when it is time.

While cigars are probably the most expensive way to celebrate luxury and prosperity. It literally makes no sense to smoke cheap ones. Of course not.