• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Witchcraft books for ADULTS

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.
Reaction score
I’m sick of retards calling themselves “baby witches” or witchtokers.

I want witchcraft books for actual adults. Calling the quarters, involing rituals, things that actually make people powerful. Can you direct me to any said books?!

I WANT BOOKS FOR ADULTS. NOT TEENAGERS BUT ADULTS. ADULTS.

Volvayulen

Visitor
Reaction score
Universal key to the secret sciences (I translated from French it may be a bit different) by Pierre Vincent Piobb. It's actually the very first key to the ancient 7 sciences (trivium is about words and quadrivium about astronomy numbers geometry ans astronomy... basics, as seen on notre Dame de Paris cathédrale's main door, long ago teached at the Sorbonne and inherited from the druids, then the templars, then the alchemist... Then Piobb.)

Chaos Magick by Andrei Vitimus (I hope this exists in English) the man is one step beyond about mind discipline, control over oneself. It's a very intuitive, animist and close to the old ways magic, like sympathetic magic, visualisations, fluids stuff and all)

Jodorowsky's book about Tarots is the best I've read. No ego, just a path and a perfect observation of the archetypes + a cool method to memorise the minor arcanums.

Any dictionary of ancien garlic and/or gaulish old languages, and/or devaghanari (sanskrit as the celts are indoeuropean, these languages are older roots than Latin) and the sound is more important than the words. The runes were sounds before being 'alphabets' for example (galdr's path)

Galdrabok (not read yet but looks great)

That's what came to my mind spontaneously but there's many more. I'll try to come back here if I have some to add up.

What have you read? What kind of path do you feel drawn to?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Look for reading lists by serious and experienced practitioners have added to their blogs (or simply check out this
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
), check out this classic or any Library post by @Rowena who is not in the habit of posting lightweight stuff.

I completely understand your frustration. Whenever I trawl the net for pirated e-books, I mostly come across the 'baby witch' crap you mentioned, and as I know very little about witchcraft, I've mostly stopped posting books on that topic altogether to avoid disseminating useless fluff by mistake here. If they're honest, low-brow authors will often give a bibliography because after all they require some reliable information to rehash and thus concoct their pathetic efforts, that's often the most valuable part of their books.

Milton

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
The true power you seek lies within the depths of your own spirit. There is no ancient tome or "for-adults" manuscript that can magically give you the extraordinary abilities you desire. I believe you should have a change of mindset.

Regardless, here are a few that were recommended by seasoned practitioners:
Traditional Witchcraft - Gemma Gary
Treading the Mill - Nigel Pearson
Blackthorn Whitethorn - Nigel Pearson

Also the works of Buckland and Cunningham.

Those are baseline until stick to a certain specific tradition.

Celestia

Neophyte
Reaction score
While I don't agree with calling these people "r*tards", I don't condemn you, and do feel your pain when it comes to this sentiment.

In the Piscean age, people tend to seek comfort, and have an addiction to light. They have an aversion to darkness. People tend to seek the books, media, and rhetoric that make them feel good, feel "positive", feel affirmed as to how they already feel. This pleases the ego and keeps it comfortable.

But this is an incredible problem, because it keeps us in darkness while pretending and proclaiming that we are basking in light, when we are simply and frankly deceiving ourselves. Some are better at avoiding this, some are not. Some communities, maybe you could say the Witchcraft, Starseed, or general New Age communities struggle more than others. But you can't say it's true for every single member of those genres.

And even in the areas of "occult", particularly the more Left Hand Path you gravitate, a lot of people have, contrarily, a fascination with darkness. And this still does not tackle the issue of ego, because in the unbalanced preference for one aspect, there is an aversion to the opposite. And so, the ego may develop an aversion to light, a rejection of light. This becomes a similar problem in the totally opposite direction and of a totally different nature.

Those who refuse to face darkness and display an addiction to light are stuck in delusion, "spiritual bypassing", failure to look at one's real, gritty shadow, dishonesty, people-pleasing, lack of self-development, frustration, and an aversion and unwillingness to feel pain. They want to feel happy and positive, and will seek out what makes them feel that way. If somebody challenges their chosen way of thinking and belief to the point of pain/discomfort, they will avoid, lash out, or seek another comfort. So they don't get anywhere. In fact, they go in the opposite direction — they build up their ego. They are affirming to themselves that they are becoming powerful, "ascending", progressing, perhaps without making any real and tangible progress.

Those who develop a distaste or aversion to light, on the other hand, start to sometimes develop an almost obsession with darkness, and a rejection of anything or all that could be light, or emotionally love. I don't blame these individuals, as the Piscean world has used "love" as a way to force behavior on people. When in reality, genuine love is synonymous with freedom, and is never forced from an external place. This is expressed deeply within the Eastern Traditions of spirituality which have heavily influenced the development Western Esotericism/Occultism. But the problem becomes the same fundamentally, but different in how it presents. By the Principle of Polarity, these are the same exact problems, but different in degree. The presentation is different. These individuals often do face pain more head-on, by delving into darkness. But again, the mistake can be made by bolstering the ego - thinking one is getting more powerful, progressing, getting stronger. A lot of anger can present here as well and people get lost.

Lost in light, unable to look at darkness. Lost in darkness, unable to consider any merit to light. They're ego, naturally as a human mechanism, protects them from that pain, and shields them from breaking down the ego by challenging it and dissolving it, because it's incredibly painful. Those lost in light are too afraid to face the truest grittiest darkness. Those lost in darkness have often become so nihilistic and disbelieving in any form of light, they've also gotten lost in a different ego - they're often angry about the world that is delusionally addicted to light, and rightfully so. But then, when any form of actual light that isn't delusional comes up to challenge their ego, they may reject it as well, again, as a protection mechanism. They have been burned in the past, often painfully (sometimes while growing up), by structures such as Western Christianity and related paradigms which refuse to discuss darkness and forcefully push an idea of light onto people that can be incredibly violating and damaging, because oftentimes it wasn't light at all, simply labeled as such.

The willingness to face both paradigms of light and darkness, while also dissolving the ego, genuinely dissolving the ego, is what can lead to dissolving what holds us back from our greater selves. If you've been willing to look at darkness, you're probably already in a good position compared to those who are not. but you cannot seek darkness and ideas only in books. They are a material that teaches and gets you thinking. And yes, I would stay away from 3/4 of the books at Barnes and Noble written by another person going through their spiritual awakening, who decided to become an author so they could hopefully make that their new income, without doing any research, learning, or practice on anything. Those kinds of books have nice covers and titles, but are often written by someone who used "divine inspiration" or "divine intuition" to write the entire thing. When there's no sources, no work put into the research and development of the book, or many of the sources are citing themselves, you can begin to see through the charade. Again though, these types of books can be written by those in light-addicted spaces or darkness-obsessed spaces.

In the essence of sincerity I should be citing my sources for this post, but it is just a forum post so the element of time-consumption comes into play. It takes a long period of time to organize, cite, and provide relevant and quality sources to back up claims being made. But those who do actually do that for a book are providing you with evidence that they have done some work ahead of time in producing what they wrote. They aren't just pulling it out of thin air. And this isn't a necessity for every book ever, but it is something to be noted and appreciated when it's there.

You have to be willing to face internal darkness to reveal your greatest self. Your limitations are your shadow - they are, quite simply, the most disappointing parts of yourself. The parts you wish you could do better at. The parts everyone else wishes you would be better about. We all have them. They are also a big part of the ego, which tends to always think it is right, and makes a fool out of itself. We all have that too. Dissolving the ego is like the sick feeling of death. It will hurt incredibly and takes time and a bold, daring effort to do what most can't or won't.

In dissolving, changing, or managing/integrating the ugliest parts of ourself that make us feel awful (the parts you don't want to think about), we can remove the barriers that prevent us from reaching more fulfilling things and doing more with our life. Everyone is typically averse to this because it involves defying the ego (which is trying to protect you and tell you not to look at these things), and it involves feeling truly awful by looking at our most embarassing, shameful things about ourselves truthfully, and honestly, without making excuses, without blaming others and putting ourselves too far into the victim position. It means we have to look our hardest, most shameful parts in the face without looking away. Everyone is naturally averse to this.

This is, however, the pathway to empowerment. The power is already there. We stand in our own way. Every day, we wish we could do more, have more, be better (the ego wants this), and yet when it doesn't happen, it was generally us who carried out that conclusion. Things happen, other people can mess things up for us, but our failure to adapt and overcome in that day is what led us to that evening without getting done what we wanted to get done. And as the days add up into weeks, then years, we may feel sicker knowing we didn't get the result (more fulfillment, achievement, etc.), and yet it was us who brought ourselves there in the end.

Everyone wants the power. Nobody wants to suffer. "Everyone wants their savior, but nobody wants to get up on the cross themselves." -Daniel Schmidt

Except that it is that darkness of suffering (in a purposeful, logical, planned direction) that brings us to the result of light.

It becomes an impossible process — when those wishing for only light cannot ever be brave enough to face darkness head on, and those enamored with darkness believe darkness is the end goal, and cannot ever believe in or discover any form of light after being betrayed.

Sometimes, like in the Witchcraft communities, you see a mixture of both. An attempt to harness power from within darkness to fix pains from the past and feel more powerful, and sometimes an aversion to facing darkness in oneself, which is in fact, paradoxically, the thing that would bring the power they want. But no community out there, of any kind of practice, is immune from this. It all stems from the foolish, not-very-smart, human ego. Dissolve the ego, and underneath is where the power lies. It will feel like your are going backwards, but this is not the case. The ego hijacks our control and lies to us.

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I want witchcraft books for actual adults. Calling the quarters, involing rituals, things that actually make people powerful. Can you direct me to any said books?!
Janet & Stewart Farrar's A Witches' Bible would probably fit the bill - found here: Link

If it's purely practical magic you're after, I'd suggest looking at Pete Carroll's Liber Null & Psychonaut (Here) followed by his Liber Kaos (Here), and then anything by Phil Hine (there's plenty in the Library).

Galahad

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I’m sick of retards calling themselves “baby witches” or witchtokers.

I WANT BOOKS FOR ADULTS. NOT TEENAGERS BUT ADULTS. ADULTS.
I may be wrong but what I'm getting here is that you want books for ADULTS. You should be aware that being an ADULT is no safeguard against being a retard. There's actually quite a bit of crossover between those communities. In all seriousness...

85% of all occult books are written for absolute beginners. That rises to 98% when "witchcraft" is in or near the title. The majority of these books were written in the late 90s/early 00s for teenagers and others very early into their paths (almost as if there was a major British media franchise at that time which dealt with witchcraft). Most of those buying them left/will leave any kind of path. Furthermore, witchcraft books repeat each other and themselves a very great deal. A very great deal. If you want the original entry in this industry, read Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. Read that and most of the rest is obsolete. Many would say that Scott Cunningham's Wicca is essential for a mature approach to witchcraft too. I wouldn't. It de-fangs witchcraft entirely, leaving you with some guilt ridden, passive aggressive, Californian tree hugging.

I would second the recommendation to read the Farrars' A Witches Bible. It's mostly orientated towards group work but can be adapted to solo work with a little ingenuity. It also covers religious topics of interest (Disclaimer: I once spent a Christmas Eve afternoon inebriated with Janet Farrar - she's wicked fun).

Worth mentioning is Patrica Telesco's Magick Made Easy. The title seems designed to put off all the right people. However, what's between the covers is a kind of meeting point between witchcraft's approach to spells and chaos magic. A basic book but I'd far rather beginners were reading it instead of Cunnngham, et al.

It's been years since I read these and so they could fall into the category of "What were you thinking?" but my memory of Gerina Dunwich's Exploring Spellcraft is positive. Approach that as a rough guide rather than the key to the secrets of the universe. I'm generally sceptical of the way that gay men have ousted women among the main writers of witchcraft books but I also have good memories of Timothy Roderick's Dark Moon Mysteries. I found it unusual and useful. I cannot vouch for his two books with "Wicca" in the title. The fact that a reviewer describes them as "non-threatening" doesn't bode well. I'm not saying that you have to become a spiritual Evel Knievel but an element of fear, as you'd have when dealing with dangerous chemicals, is present in all real magic. Apropos, the recent attempt to Make Witchcraft Dark Again, (i.e.: "traditional witchcraft") is a mixed bag. I was amused reading Roger J. Horne's ranty The Witches Devil when it became clear that his "devil" is really only scary to those with whom Horne politically disagrees. That being said, Gemma Gary's The Devil's Dozen definitely challenges the comfort zone. Suffice to say that one rite involves spending a night unsheltered and in the wild alone, before a self-made fire, while calling on the devil. That's a very long way from Cunningham and witchcraft is Girl Power.

All this said, ultimately there comes a point when we have to decide whether we're book/idea collectors or travellers on the Path. The decision for the latter comes with the realisation that the map is not the territory and that no book can really describe how to pick yourself off the ground and/or smell the flowers. The qualia and humanness (for want of a better word) involved in those moments are the real key to everything. If you're going to spend time reading and working through a book, the best you can hope for is that it will help you to make the most of that humanness.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
From my admittedly superficial perspective, there seems to be an excessive emphasis on the word 'spells' in the titles of witchcraft books, presumably suggesting to young beginners that it's enough to gather some herbs, say a few 'magic' words, and hey presto, instant success. Spells, spells, spells, as if that was everything witchcraft and magic were about. Baby witches asking for spells for this and that on Reddit, on internet forums or other social media, and it's always spells, spells, spells. "If I only knew the secret magic words, I could achieve anything!" So Judika Illes, for example, started out with a book called "The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells" in 2004 and topped that with "Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells" in 2009 (probably sensing that this number was too daunting for absolute beginners, so the new edition is simply called "The Big Book of Practical Spells: Everyday Magic That Works", which sounds much more reasonable). Spells, spells, spells. The same author also offers a book with the title "Magic When You Need It: 150 Spells You Can't Live Without" (I've been doing ok without those thus far, thank you very much). Spells, spells, spells. "101 Powerful Love Spells That Work: A Spell Book to Attract Love, Passion and Romance with Witchcraft Magic, Spells and Rituals" by Hazel Evermore? Riiight.
Post automatically merged:

Time to un-spell! :D:D:D

Last edited:

Celestia

Neophyte
Reaction score

People in antiquity would go to far away places, spend immense amounts of money, and put immense amounts of effort into getting the perfect ingredients, the best items, the rarest type of wood or resin, etc. to create the most sacred, meaningful ritual all to honor what they believed was sacred.

But really, I would argue, that the ingredients and items used to create ritual are not what makes anything happen. It was the fact that they climbed a mountain and traveled three days to get a special type of wood to craft a special type of item, the distance they traveled, and the effort they put in. All of that would have one general monumental effect: it would further convince them that what they are doing is real and heavily significant. If they used cheap items, and didn't put any effort in, it wouldn't be reverent. And the underlying energy and emotion wouldn't be there.

Some would argue that if you are theistic and are honoring a deity that is actually real, that that deity would be able to tell if you baked bread yourself and ground the grains yourself, or if you bought a few Schwebel slices from Walmart and threw them on the altar. That's another argument. Maybe it's the energy of reverence that's brought to the ritual when you know you gave it all you've got, vs. if you're B.S.ing and didn't put in any effort.

I guess I could argue: why should a deity honor you and give you in return what you're asking for, if you did not honor that deity? Perhaps what you put in, you get out?

A loaf of bread and a cup of wine was a big sacrifice for someone making only 2 gold pieces a day. Today, even with high grocery prices, it doesn't hurt too much to get some plain bread and $4 wine and pour a cup. But I think that's just it, in that case, we haven't actually really sacrificed anything. To give up food money for one loaf of bread, and then leave it to decay or burn it after, was a big sacrifice for ancient people. They might have to skip a few meals.

That's dedication.

I think we have to think about what we really have to put in, in terms of affluence, to actually make a tangible sacrifice today. If I was a deity, and some 2024 person put about $3 worth of stuff in front of me without giving up much of their own discomfort, I guess I'd say, "Ok?". I'd be offended.

I guess it also depends on whether deities are actually real entities, or are they personifications of something real? (an energy? something else?)

Or is everything energy, and the idea of deities simply helps us understand, process, and interact with this force, as humans?

I guess it depends on how you view it.

But yeah, I have to be honest and wonder how many people are finicking around with the particulars of ritual materials, and perhaps not getting significant results. But maybe it's not so much about the materials and specific, dogmatic ritual processes. Or maybe it is.