• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A Soul within the Astral Body

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I just read this information, and it really make sense.

There is a fluid Essence called The Astral Body. The Astral Body is similar to the physical body. However, within the Astral Body, The Soul lives. Meaning, that the Soul is way beyond the Astral Body. All this time, I thought that the Astral Body is The Soul, but it is not. It is just a Substance. But, what's your thoughts about what the Soul is?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I just read this information, and it really make sense.

There is a fluid Essence called The Astral Body. The Astral Body is similar to the physical body. However, within the Astral Body, The Soul lives. Meaning, that the Soul is way beyond the Astral Body. All this time, I thought that the Astral Body is The Soul, but it is not. It is just a Substance. But, what's your thoughts about what the Soul is?
I subscribe to the belief that human beings exist on 5 planes of reality simultaneously, being the Spiritual, Mental, Astral, Etheric and then Physical, with each higher realm being less dense and therefore more abstract.

The Astral plane corresponds with the emotional "part" of our being which is often why the most attention is focused there in my opinion.

So to answer your question, the astral body is a layer of our soul and exists within us at all times in the astral plane, but our consciousness is by default set in the physical realm because that is the densest level of reality we exist upon.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
In Alchemy, the Elements combine to form the three principles of Sulfur, Mercury, and Salt. Alchemical Sulfur is the combination of elemental Fire and Air. It is the Soul. Water and Earth combine as alchemical Salt. That which unites these two, alchemical Mercury, is formed from elemental Air and Water. (Only alchemical Salt has a correspondence with physical matter and the common science of chemistry.)

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." KJV

The "breath of life" corresponds with the Spirit, without which the Soul cannot unite with and animate the Body. As @Lemongrass00 pointed out, occultists believe that we possess many "bodies" simultaneously at different planes of existence, each with it's own form. At the other extreme, materialists deny that consciousness is anything other than an electro-chemical process entirely within the nervous system of the material body. Various religious authorities will always have divergent opinions about the soul, spirit, and body(s), so take anything you read with a grain of proverbial Salt.

The work of the Qabalist is to "store up treasures in Heaven," so to speak. As the physical body dies, soon after the etheric counterpart itself usually dies. (There are purported exceptions to this claim that the etheric dies.) What remains of our life in any particular incarnation will depend on what was accomplished. What, if anything, will be remembered in the next incarnation? What will be "stored up" in the Astral, Mental, and Spiritual planes? This is our Great Work. I don't think anyone can do it all in a single incarnation, but we all, eventually, will Know ourselves beyond time. (And if you think your death in the physical body is The End of it all, what do you have to lose by trying anyway?)

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In the Theosophical texts they refer to "the permanent atom". The idea is that on death the experience/development of the human on physical, emotional and mental levels is stored in permanent "atoms" that are transferred into the next incarnation.

Thus the human does not have to start at zero in each incarnation but carries forward the learnings/refinement/trauma from the end of the previous life.

My only comment is that, from observation of my deceased parents, learning and refinement continue between incarnations

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I thought that the Astral Body is The Soul, but it is not.
From a certain perspective one could define the "astral body" as a deeper and more intense aspect of the imagination, though the term of "imagination" is and has been denigrated by modern thinking as just make believe. In like manner, the trends of materialism have then assigned the soul itself to the imagination, just a vain grasping for some certainty beyond death.
But the power of the human imagination is no simple or weak thing, it is the mother of our awareness. Through it we can perceive that we are more than mere "stuff", that consciousness is not the byproduct of meat, that we have a higher being which cannot be demonstrated in a material sense, but nevertheless impels us to conquer matter and extend our very essence back to our original source of being. While I think it suffices to call the astral body a layer of soul, it could just as well be a vehicle of reception and transmission with the Ultimate Reality that blinds our senses due to its totality.

It is just a Substance.
The astral body as substance makes me think of the position of Plotinus where "matter" interacts with Soul to produce in infectious phenomenal state that lures the soul into a realm of darkness when entraps it. Matter is not meant in the sense of solid objects - these are end products - but as "non-being" which infects the pure Soul as it does other Platonic Forms and degenerates them into tangible things which are imperfect and perishing through decay. However, I think it is through the astral body that one might find the road back through degrees of purification to the One which is the source of all Ideas - the root of the Soul itself.

But, what's your thoughts about what the Soul is?
One one hand I want to identify with the Platonic sense that the Soul is essentially an aspect of God, diffused into matter and imprisoned in the realm of sense. This compares well with the Hindu concept of the Atman. On the other I find resonance with it being the principle of consciousness - like in Buddhism - it goes through endless waves of birth, death and rebirth in the ocean of what could be called the astral realm into the sense realm and back. Both perspectives have their uses.

Yet I am also fond of the Egyptian concept of the love affair between Ka and Ba. There's something elevating about it. I feel all philosophies intersect in various ways.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
In Alchemy, the Elements combine to form the three principles of Sulfur, Mercury, and Salt. Alchemical Sulfur is the combination of elemental Fire and Air. It is the Soul. Water and Earth combine as alchemical Salt. That which unites these two, alchemical Mercury, is formed from elemental Air and Water. (Only alchemical Salt has a correspondence with physical matter and the common science of chemistry.)

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." KJV

The "breath of life" corresponds with the Spirit, without which the Soul cannot unite with and animate the Body. As @Lemongrass00 pointed out, occultists believe that we possess many "bodies" simultaneously at different planes of existence, each with it's own form. At the other extreme, materialists deny that consciousness is anything other than an electro-chemical process entirely within the nervous system of the material body. Various religious authorities will always have divergent opinions about the soul, spirit, and body(s), so take anything you read with a grain of proverbial Salt.

The work of the Qabalist is to "store up treasures in Heaven," so to speak. As the physical body dies, soon after the etheric counterpart itself usually dies. (There are purported exceptions to this claim that the etheric dies.) What remains of our life in any particular incarnation will depend on what was accomplished. What, if anything, will be remembered in the next incarnation? What will be "stored up" in the Astral, Mental, and Spiritual planes? This is our Great Work. I don't think anyone can do it all in a single incarnation, but we all, eventually, will Know ourselves beyond time. (And if you think your death in the physical body is The End of it all, what do you have to lose by trying anyway?)
Wonderful concepts!!

From a certain perspective one could define the "astral body" as a deeper and more intense aspect of the imagination, though the term of "imagination" is and has been denigrated by modern thinking as just make believe. In like manner, the trends of materialism have then assigned the soul itself to the imagination, just a vain grasping for some certainty beyond death.
But the power of the human imagination is no simple or weak thing, it is the mother of our awareness. Through it we can perceive that we are more than mere "stuff", that consciousness is not the byproduct of meat, that we have a higher being which cannot be demonstrated in a material sense, but nevertheless impels us to conquer matter and extend our very essence back to our original source of being. While I think it suffices to call the astral body a layer of soul, it could just as well be a vehicle of reception and transmission with the Ultimate Reality that blinds our senses due to its totality.

The astral body as substance makes me think of the position of Plotinus where "matter" interacts with Soul to produce in infectious phenomenal state that lures the soul into a realm of darkness when entraps it. Matter is not meant in the sense of solid objects - these are end products - but as "non-being" which infects the pure Soul as it does other Platonic Forms and degenerates them into tangible things which are imperfect and perishing through decay. However, I think it is through the astral body that one might find the road back through degrees of purification to the One which is the source of all Ideas - the root of the Soul itself.

One one hand I want to identify with the Platonic sense that the Soul is essentially an aspect of God, diffused into matter and imprisoned in the realm of sense. This compares well with the Hindu concept of the Atman. On the other I find resonance with it being the principle of consciousness - like in Buddhism - it goes through endless waves of birth, death and rebirth in the ocean of what could be called the astral realm into the sense realm and back. Both perspectives have their uses.

Yet I am also fond of the Egyptian concept of the love affair between Ka and Ba. There's something elevating about it. I feel all philosophies intersect in various ways.
I like your input Stalkinghyena!

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Astral Plan is also known to be the Emotional plane. Within this plane, all dreams, hope, and desires can become reality. There are a variety of mythological creatures that dwell within this realm. The aspects of time and space are greatly distorted in this plan which means that one hour that is passed in this realm could only be a few minutes on the physical plane. According to G.R.S. Mead, The Doctrine of the Subtle Body in Western Tradition, the astral plane, also called the astral realm or the astral world, is a
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
postulated by classical, medieval, oriental, and
philosophies and
. There are many different theories about the soul, depending on the religious view, the different philosophies etc. The soul is the spiritual
of a person, which includes one's
, and
that is believed to be able to survive
. In many religious and philosophical traditions, the soul means an immaterial aspect or essence of a living being, which is generally applied to humans. According to Plato, the Platonic soul consists of three parts: Aristotle defines the soul as Psych as the "
" of a naturally organized body (see Aristotle, On the Soul) and argued against its separate existence from the physical body. In Aristotle's view, the primary activity, or full actualization, of a living thing constitutes its soul.

There are many theories through the centuries about the existence of the soul, many of them come from Greece and its philosophers. According to the Cambridge dictionary, the soul has defined as the
of a
that some
to
in some
after
has
, or the
of a
that is not
and
and
. It is the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life or, the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe, a person's total self.

In my opinion, the soul can NOT exist in the Astral realm but in the next more subtle planes like for example the Mental plane.