• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A website with a bunch of spells

Here's the website:

I haven't used it a lot but there are a solid amount of spells on there and all kinds of learning resources. I think it's a great place to start.

Does anyone have experience with the website?

Last edited by a moderator:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
It looks like a content farm. It says they have over 20,000 spells on the site, so there's no vetting process.

For eg, clicking more or less randomly got me to this spell, which we can probably all agree is low-quality on multiple levels:

Casting Instructions for 'Make Someone Ugly'
Think of the person you want the spell to happen to.
Then repeat:

'Take away 'name's beauty,
Fill them up with ugly,
Make them gain a lot of weight,
Don't make it late,
A spot explosion on their face,
Blotchy, ugly, a waste,'

All the little details will be affected too!

It doesn't mean there's nothing good there - they are probably scraping the internet for content, so they would be getting good stuff as well; there's just no quality control, so the good is all mixed in together with the bad

I'm guessing you came across it by googling something, and the spell it linked you to was a good one, so I understand why you shared it

(The reason it's so recognisable to me is actually because I'm a writer - a lot of sites like this fleece their contributors by getting them to write for free and claiming that will be a writing credit they can put in their portfolio, even though it would actually count against them with any employer. I get really mad about that!)

But yeah back to the topic at hand, I would say this is a terrible site for beginners but could potentially be useful for experienced people, who will be better able to discern what's decent vs terrible, or able to use bad spells as inspiration to write their own
Post automatically merged:

(I don't want to be too harsh to that spellwriter personally because they're obviously a kid, the issue is that something like that is not being rejected for publication)

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Please do not link to other forums @darangal It's the first rule:

"No spamming — Do not excessively post to gain attention. Do not post links to other forums for the sole purpose of promoting them. Do not post links to websites intending to make a sale. Should be fairly obvious."

I will remove the link from your post.

darangal

Neophyte
Reaction score
Please do not link to other forums @darangal It's the first rule:

"No spamming — Do not excessively post to gain attention. Do not post links to other forums for the sole purpose of promoting them. Do not post links to websites intending to make a sale. Should be fairly obvious."

I will remove the link from your post.
I did not violate that rule.

I have no financial motivation, and I didn't post a website link for the sole purpose of promotion.

You aren't interpreting the rule as it's written and are exercising your power as a staff member to enforce it based on your personal interpretation.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

I have no financial motivation, and I didn't post a website link for the sole purpose of promotion.

You aren't interpreting the rule as it's written and are exercising your power as a staff member to enforce it based on your personal interpretation.
How am I misinterpreting this:
Do not post links to other forums for the sole purpose of promoting them.

If you believe I am being mean to you then take it up with @SkullTraill

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The website you linked is absolutely a forum. It may be hard to spot at first, but they literally use the same forum software WF uses. So there's no doubt they are a forum.

I have no financial motivation,
I do believe you, but no one can know that for sure.

I didn't post a website link for the sole purpose of promotion.
You literally did. You did not highlight any particular resource on that site, it was just a link to the site itself. For a purely informational site, that would be fine. But this site literally has 3 seperate instances of ecommerce on the homepage. That means sales are one of it's primary functions, so you can see how this may seem promotional.

Come on man, you literally can see that I liked his post, clearly condoning it. Whether or not I would have made the same decision, if the decision of a staff member is within parameters of acceptability and following the letter + spirit of the rule then I give them the ability to make their own decisions as you would for a trustworthy adult.