• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Academic Rigor in Occult Texts

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Those books are more about describing certain phenomena in the NewAge scene and the occulture, less about proving or disproving doctrines. Academics have become very respectful towards magic, and nobody uses the S-word (superstition) anymore.
Got it. I see your point.
Post automatically merged:

This is another reason why I love my Kindle. You click on the footnote marker, it takes you to the footnote, you read the footnote, you close the footnote and then carry on :)
Though you mentioned you were reading the Red Book. There Jung (or his editors) put 300+ footnotes at the end of each main division of the book. You can save that for the end of each section and it's almost like another chapter. (Jung has any number of interesting insights; I don't find his prose to follow any particular line of reasoning, so disjunct footnotes are no more meandering than the text they support.)