• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Adaptation of Triple Rung Ritual (performed after Middle Pillar)

Notes​

This is an adaptation of Frater S's
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, referring to the three rungs on the tree of life, linking Netzach - Hod, Chesed-Gevurah and Binah-Chokmah. So you're getting the remaining sephiroth from the two pillars, in a balanced (and quick) way. Netzach/Hod and Chesed/Gevurah tend to make more sense in pairs anyway imo. If you practice any of the meditation/energy work methods that use 3 centres (gut, heart and third eye) then there's a nice alignment there.

You have just performed the Middle Pillar down to Malkuth, so we are in earth, and the first thing is reciting the VITRIOL formula. “Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem,” “Visit the interior of the earth and, rectifying (purifying), you will find the hidden stone.”

Frater S has a psalm assigned to VITRIOL for earth and then one for each rung, related to the relevant element. The major change I made was switching them out for lines from Eliphas Levi's Prayers of the Elementals - if you prefer psalms, stick to Frater S's version linked above.

To me they read like prayers from the Elementals to God, not from Levi to the Elementals. But I may be wrong. Regardless, it's better to think of them, when spoken by you, as directed at god through an elemental lens, not directed at minor elemental spirits.

In other words:
VITRIOL - Malkuth - Earth psalm / Gnomes prayer
Mem - Hod & Netzach - Water Psalm / Undines prayer
Aleph - Gevurah + Chesed - Air Psalm / Sylphs prayer
Shin - Binah + Chokmah - Fire Psalm / Salamanders prayer

Then it finishes with a line from the Gnomes/Earth prayer. (There's no spirit elemental prayer). I chose Gnomes just because it's the line that fitted best, but I think it's actually okay to circle back, given "Kether is in Malkuth and Malkuth is in Kether"

The path names are based on
, my preferred Tree. If you use
, the names of the rungs from bottom to top are Peh -Aleph - Daleth. I'm not sure whether it's convertible to that tree or not, the colours would be different as well. A few more notes after the ritual.

Speak everything out loud unless it's in italics. Vibrate the words in bold.

Triple Rung Ritual​

Visit the interior of the earth, and with rectification, you will find the hidden stone.
"Thou concealeth under the earth, in the kingdom of precious stones, the marvellous seed of stars;
Live; Reign; and Be Thou the Eternal Dispenser of the treasures whereof Thou hath made us the Wardens."
VITRIOL
[vibrate - no visualisation unless you want to just be aware of the earth supporting you]

Lord, rectify for us the gate of Intellect and Desire
"Thou openeth the sources of Rivers and of Fountains;
Thou commandeth moisture, which is like the blood of the earth, to become the sap of plants: We adore thee and we invoke thee!"
MEM
[vibrate while visualising blue rung across hips]

Lord, rectify for us the gate of Mercy and Severity.
"We shall be swept away no more before the tempest, but shall bridle the winged steeds of the morning
and guide the course of the evening winds, that we may fly into Thy presence."
ALEPH
[vibrate while visualising yellow rung across shoulders or chest]

Lord, rectify for us the gate of Understanding and Wisdom.
"Thy Majesty Golden, Vast and Eternal, shineth above the Heaven of Stars!
Above them art Thou exalted, O Thou Flashing Fire!"
SHIN
[vibrate while visualising red rung across head]

"Have pity on those who suffer, expand our hearts, unbind and upraise our minds, enlarge our natures!"

[You could end in quiet contemplation, or you could circulate the light here instead of after the Middle Pillar]

More notes / stuff you might want to change​

If you read through just the Elemental Prayer parts, you'll see that they don't just go "random earth reference, random water reference" etc, they actually follow almost a narrative shape. ("Narrative" is pushing it, but I think you'll get more out of it if you can see the 'shape' of the journey. I would love to say this is my own genius, but I suspect Eliphas Levi intended it in the first place, it's just made more stark by taking excerpting parts of it.)

Sephiroth have a few names. Frater S has "Splendour and Victory" for Hod and Netzach, but they are too disconnected from their meaning for me. You could also go with "Thinking and Feeling" or Dion Fortune's "Logic and Aesthetics". You could change "Severity and Mercy" to "Justice and Love". I usually prefer "Force and Form" to "Understanding and Wisdom", but since we're saying "Lord, rectify for us the gate of Understanding and Wisdom", it's pretty clearly the microcosmic tree, and Force and Form feel more macrocosmic to me. I think you should use whatever helps you to actually understand that sephirah, but maybe you want to go trad and use the Hebrew names.

Frater S does not include actually saying the entire word VITRIOL, let alone vibrating it (presumably because it's not a divine name). I added it in because I like giving each verse a consistent structure.

You could change all the "Thou concealeth"s to to "You conceal"s. You could also cut most of those quotes in half pretty easily,

You can do this on its own, it doesn't have to be after the MP.

You could change "Lord" to "God" "Goddess" "Source" etc or even just "I ask thee" or something

Lastly, the names of the sephiroth are currently in reverse "lightning flash" order (because it's going back up the tree). You might want to change them for aesthetics reasons (eg you might think "Severity and Mercy" sounds better than "Mercy and Severity")
Post automatically merged:

The Levi quotes are fairly dense but it's worth thinking about them before saying them. eg "Thou concealeth under the earth, in the kingdom of precious stones, the marvellous seed of stars" - this will sound obvious/dumb but it's easy to gloss over it. The seed of the stars - think about what that means - has been concealed in the earth. The precious stones are equated to the seed of stars.

"Be Thou the Eternal Dispenser of the treasures whereof Thou hath made us the Wardens." So you have been made warden of earthly treasures by the eternal dispenser of these treasures

"We shall be swept away no more before the tempest, but shall bridle the winged steeds of the morning
and guide the course of the evening winds" - to me this is such a perfect phrase for linking Chesed and Gevurah. They are the two winged steeds, and by bridling them, you have mastery and are no longer swept away by passing tempests. This makes me think of the Chariot tarot card, and also IFS therapy.

I know I'm literally just restating the quotes in very slightly more basic sentences, but that's all I mean by "actually think about them and what they mean, instead of them just feeling like pretty words". Especially when I read stuff out loud, I forget to connect with the meaning

Last edited:

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Im not too interested in the "Tree" and likely will not be doing this however
this is the type of sharing i was hoping for when i joined up so i want to pay my dues somehow.

I only advise you not to be too shy in your "presentation", not even sure how i got that impression, but yeah -
You also didn't skip on explaining the smaller details which is great.

All in all, i love it. Please keep them coming.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Ah thanks! No you're right, I am a bit self conscious, and it's good advice

I'm a writer/editor and in fields where I have more confidence / expertise, I am always telling other writers the same thing ("Say what you're going to say, disclaimers etc are just clutter, the reader doesn't need them so edit them out of your second draft") so as soon as you said that, I was like "ahh yep"

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Oh neat! I just stumbled across his blog randomly, and it was just clearly really solid stuff

I really liked a six-rayed star prayer he shared as well, although I also want to alter that to fit more with what I care about in the hexagram (his is about fire + water, I want to focus it more on the divine interlocking with matter)

Sorry I keep butchering your rituals, Frater S! I mean it as a compliment!

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, I have a few links of his including daily archangel prayers in my journal.
When family members were ill, he had a hand to play in their healing.

I recommend going through his entire blog, and if the OSS collection and Zodiacal Rosary are still 8n book shares, I recommend looking them over.