• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Adventures in Growing My Own Magical/Medicinal Herbs

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Btw, do you guys in different parts of the world know and use a plant called Guiné? I think it may be called Anamu in other places.
It's really popular here for spiritual and medicinal uses (even though it can be toxic if not used properly). I only came to know it when I moved here hence why I am asking...
Never heard of it before. What do y’all use it for?

Girlinthefields

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I’m too cheap for wood chips, myself. I just loot bags of leaves from all the neighbors as well as using my own. There’s tons of pine needles as well, but those take forever to break down.

Milk as a fungicide?? How does it work? That sounds useful as FUCK
Hey, yes, for me it works really well. Just mix milk into a water (i believe its ment to be about 1 to 10 /milk to water, even though I dont measure it myself) and than either water with it or spray on leaves.
If spraying, I would do it early in the morning.
As always, test one plant first...

I use it on tomatoes and papaya specifically as those are the two that suffer here with the 'black spot'. I use it as watering, prefer not to wet the leaves. Do it every 15 days or so. I also add grinded egg shells to the soil as most of the plants that suffer with this fungus like extra calcium (and i got chickens so easy for me).

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
i have a huge amount of wormwood and mugwort growing on my lawn L0l its been here since i moved here years ago

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
Leave it like this to chill (Haha, get it? Because it's cold?
xD
Oh yeah, we have shitty clay soil here too! It’s such a pain.
WHAAAT clay soil is hard to find for me and all i want to do is make ceramic pots for transporting water from the stream on my property!! my friend u have to make some pit fired pots!

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
xD

WHAAAT clay soil is hard to find for me and all i want to do is make ceramic pots for transporting water from the stream on my property!! my friend u have to make some pit fired pots!
You may still have a chance of finding clay if you dig down deep enough. Then you can also leave the soil to sit in a container of water for a while, let all the actual clay settle to the bottom. You'd probably get a purer substance that way.

I don't know how to fire clay in a fire, and I'm afraid to use the fire pit for firing something like that tbh. Besides, may not even get hot enough to do much good.

When I was a kid I once dug up clay to make an ashtray for my dad, though. It was this tiny little pinch-pot that I used a hair dryer set on hot to "fire" lmao. It worked until it got rained on and dissolved.

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
You may still have a chance of finding clay if you dig down deep enough. Then you can also leave the soil to sit in a container of water for a while, let all the actual clay settle to the bottom. You'd probably get a purer substance that way.

I don't know how to fire clay in a fire, and I'm afraid to use the fire pit for firing something like that tbh. Besides, may not even get hot enough to do much good.

When I was a kid I once dug up clay to make an ashtray for my dad, though. It was this tiny little pinch-pot that I used a hair dryer set on hot to "fire" lmao. It worked until it got rained on and dissolved.
yes you can levigate clay in water to purify it from basically any soil. but the amount of effort and time it takes to purify the clay is considerable if your soil doesnt have much. clay soil you can basically make a pinch pot with it right then and there. pit firing is also doable, it's just a process that takes some time to learn. you can make pinch pots or other vessels that will hold water without dissolving, but you need to learn how to pit fire correctly. what is more valuable, a pound of gold or a pound of soil? gold, obviously! but to a tree? - clay soil is not great for growing stuff but it is good for other things.

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
You lucky bastard! That shit hates it down here in Satan's basement. 😂
there should be places that sell it online. i would ship you some but i dont have a po box and im pretty skimpy on coin at the nonce. there are of course ways to induce lucidity without the assistance of flora.

Diluculo_DelFuego

Magus
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
What about sand as soil?
Unless it has been sand covering topsoil, I've seen weeds grow at beaches, so it must have some of the right biochem requirements for growing.

saxazax

Neophyte
Reaction score
What about sand as soil?
Unless it has been sand covering topsoil, I've seen weeds grow at beaches, so it must have some of the right biochem requirements for growing.
i have almost no idea about agriculture but it seems like you need a combination of decayed plant matter, gravel/sand and clay in order to grow things. im sure weeds at beaches get the necessary nutrients from saltwater. if you dont see a plant growing in a certain kind of place then it probably will be hard to recreate its environment artificially. not impossible, just hard