• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Antidepressants and their effects

Reaction score
Awards
Recently was prescribed sertraline (Zoloft)
I "feel better" by feeling less. I also have noticed i don't feel energies nearly as much, including my own. I'm wondering just how bad this will be getting in my way. I can still feel a little bit but its severely muted. Prior to the meds, i could feel energy like it was a literal wave or fire. Now, it feels like a slight trickle or the smallest insignificant spark.
Is this something i should expect to be consistent or will i get used to it and regain a stronger hold on it again? I'm seriously wondering if its even worth being on the meds if i can't feel things like how i used to.

Any input in appreciated.

Amadeus

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I have exactly the same experience. Once I got prescribed Xanax to relax muscles, had some odd problem. It messed up the senses and I felt strange after stopping it. Horrible side effects. The doctor must have been high to suggest me that junk. Then again, back then I wanted to try it and manifested the outcome. So out of nowhere I suddenly got them.

A couple of times I had some others and they messed up the senses too.
With some medicine the numbing effects were temporary, after getting used to them, the senses fully returned.

Some people use such stuff to make themselves spiritually numb. When I became spiritually very open then I also occasionally wanted to numb the senses with something, this was during the early years when everything felt overwhelming and my practices were a mix from 3 4 or 5 religions, bad mix.

I don't know what medical conditions you got there, maybe you need to use them.

This kind of medicine can end up mentally destroying you, either while taking it or once you get the withdrawals. I've seen how relatives and friends went crazy. One used Xanax, other took the one you mentioned, and other similar ones.

Reaction score
Awards
I have exactly the same experience. Once I got prescribed Xanax to relax muscles, had some odd problem. It messed up the senses and I felt strange after stopping it. Horrible side effects. The doctor must have been high to suggest me that junk. Then again, back then I wanted to try it and manifested the outcome. So out of nowhere I suddenly got them.

A couple of times I had some others and they messed up the senses too.
With some medicine the numbing effects were temporary, after getting used to them, the senses fully returned.

Some people use such stuff to make themselves spiritually numb. When I became spiritually very open then I also occasionally wanted to numb the senses with something, this was during the early years when everything felt overwhelming and my practices were a mix from 3 4 or 5 religions, bad mix.

I don't know what medical conditions you got there, maybe you need to use them.

This kind of medicine can end up mentally destroying you, either while taking it or once you get the withdrawals. I've seen how relatives and friends went crazy. One used Xanax, other took the one you mentioned, and other similar ones.
Full disclosure cuz idgaf who knows lol
I take them because i've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and ptsd.

I halved my dose today just to see if i could find a good middle ground. I have used substances to cope in the past but those substances didn't shut off my ability to feel energy or emotions. I still felt happy or fun or inspired by the world around me and the negative things didn't get to me as much. On the meds, its like i've been blocked off completely, and its not a good feeling.

I'm hoping this will rectify itself once i get used to it and i can just go back to things as normal without any real issue. I'll just have to see how it goes and if it doesn't rectify itself then i guess i'll have a choice to make. or perhaps this could just be a sort of hiatus for me while i address some stuff and maybe i can come back once i have a better handle on things.

I appreciate you reaching out.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Full disclosure cuz idgaf who knows lol
I take them because i've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and ptsd.

I halved my dose today just to see if i could find a good middle ground. I have used substances to cope in the past but those substances didn't shut off my ability to feel energy or emotions. I still felt happy or fun or inspired by the world around me and the negative things didn't get to me as much. On the meds, its like i've been blocked off completely, and its not a good feeling.
I've been on anti-depressants since I was 19 including three years of Zoloft - it was efficient and didn't make me feel doped or anything but then I wasn't into the practical side of the occult at all. By all means get back to the original dosage if you don't feel the benefits of the drug, you won't be able to any magic if you're in a state of anxiety or mope around the house all day.

My take on anti-depressants is that they subtly change the way you perceive reality; they don't make you happy, they just restore your ability to feel happy. Give yourself some time to adjust, anti-depressants don't dull the senses like anti-psychotics do, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Awards
I've been on anti-depressants since I was 19 including three years of Zoloft - it was efficient and didn't make me feel doped or anything but then I wasn't into the practical side of the occult at all. By all means get back to the original dosage if you don't feel the benefits of the drug, you won't be able to any magic if you're in a state of anxiety or mope around the house all day.

My take on anti-depressants is that they subtly change the way you perceive reality; they don't make you happy, they just restore your ability to feel happy. Give yourself some time to adjust, anti-depressants don't dull the senses like anti-psychotics do, in my opinion.
Thats sound advice, after halving my dose i did notice my symptoms coming back so that was enlightening. I suppose it could be due to my body being used to the higher dose but I'm not sure. I'm going to go back to the higher dose and see how I feel.

I haven't been on them long so i think it could just be my body feeling the effects more intensely because i haven't adjusted yet.
Thanks for the input.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be on all kinds of meds starting as a kid but they stopped prescribing them when I was about 16-17. They did absolutely nothing for me that was positive but I know they help a lot of people.
They tried lots of anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, more mood stabilizer oriented meds, even seizure meds for aggressive outbursts.
It wasn’t till I took initiative to change reoccurring patterns that things got better.

A big factor was dietary and lifestyle changes, doing one thing a day that made me feel like I accomplished something and keep stacking those accomplishments up no matter how small.

Anti-depressants will probably help that process but I wouldn’t lower the dose unless positive life changes were made and consulting a therapist/psychiatrist/doc with your progress.

A therapist to my knowledge can’t lower a dose (or prescribe meds) like a psychiatrist or doc can but they can at least give some guidance.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you.

This is Just my 2 cents from my own experience with meds.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be on all kinds of meds starting as a kid but they stopped prescribing them when I was about 16-17. They did absolutely nothing for me that was positive but I know they help a lot of people.
They tried lots of anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, more mood stabilizer oriented meds, even seizure meds for aggressive outbursts.
It wasn’t till I took initiative to change reoccurring patterns that things got better.

A big factor was dietary and lifestyle changes, doing one thing a day that made me feel like I accomplished something and keep stacking those accomplishments up no matter how small.

Anti-depressants will probably help that process but I wouldn’t lower the dose unless positive life changes were made and consulting a therapist/psychiatrist/doc with your progress.

A therapist to my knowledge can’t lower a dose (or prescribe meds) like a psychiatrist or doc can but they can at least give some guidance.

My doc refused to give me meds when I was 16 because of the hormonal imbalances caused by puberty and instead made me take part in his autogenic training course which didn't do anything for me but then I was both too sluggish and too restless to appreciate the value of relaxation (as well as young and dumb).

I've known people who overcame their depression through psychotherapy alone but those 'soft' methods' won't work in severe cases where you lethargically lie in bed ruminating all day until your whole body aches from lack of exercise and have to force yourself to complete the simplest task like for example grocery shopping. Or when anxiety becomes so acute that you're even afrain to leave the house. In such cases meds can be a godsend.

Psychotherapy however, esp. cognitive behavioral therapy, still has its place as an adjunct to antidepressants or as stand-alone treatment. I wouldn't worry about the impact of meds on magic though, lack of initiative and an abject feeling of hopelessness caused by untreated major depression are far worse.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
My doc refused to give me meds when I was 16 because of the hormonal imbalances caused by puberty and instead made me take part in his autogenic training course which didn't do anything for me but then I was both too sluggish and too restless to appreciate the value of relaxation (as well as young and dumb).

I've known people who overcame their depression through psychotherapy alone but those 'soft' methods' won't work in severe cases where you lethargically lie in bed ruminating all day until your whole body aches from lacexercise and have to force yourself to complete the simplest task like for example grocery shopping. Or when anxiety becomes so acute that you're even afrain to leave the house. In such cases meds can be a godsend.

Psychotherapy however, esp. cognitive behavioral therapy, still has its place as an adjunct to antidepressants or as stand-alone treatment. I wouldn't worry about the impact of meds on magic though, lack of initiative and an abject feeling of hopelessness caused by untreated major depression are far worse.
I agree, anti- depressants and therapy can be extremely useful, that along with cog behavioral therapy or EDMR, EDMR is a life saver (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) for traumatic events, they greatly help reduce nightmares and really helps with the trauma of ptsd)

Reaction score
Awards

Yeah, I will say that I think theres more than just a medical issue here, I am hoping continued therapy will help, though my current therapist isn't amazing. (I'm gonna give him more time to see if we click, ive only seen him twice so i know i need to be patient)

I chose to halve my dose on my own initiative to see if it made me feel better. It really didn't lol but it was worth trying.

I definitely agree on the changing patterns thing. One thing I've noticed is how easily I'm affected by the world around me. It's almost like I'm "too open" or something. While being in that state does make it very easy for me to manipulate and feel energy, I am also very exposed and I definitely "lose my footing"

I'm looking into some Buddhist practices/mindfulness practices because they seem like a step in the right direction for me.

Though I do still feel a bit muffled, I will say that even now, I already feel more in tune than I did when I first made this post so hopefully I continue getting used to this medicine and can get back to how I was. Even if i don't feel it 100% like I used to, I can definitely feel a massive improvement already compared to when I first started.

Thanks for your input!

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, I will say that I think theres more than just a medical issue here, I am hoping continued therapy will help, though my current therapist isn't amazing. (I'm gonna give him more time to see if we click, ive only seen him twice so i know i need to be patient)

I chose to halve my dose on my own initiative to see if it made me feel better. It really didn't lol but it was worth trying.

I definitely agree on the changing patterns thing. One thing I've noticed is how easily I'm affected by the world around me. It's almost like I'm "too open" or something. While being in that state does make it very easy for me to manipulate and feel energy, I am also very exposed and I definitely "lose my footing"

I'm looking into some Buddhist practices/mindfulness practices because they seem like a step in the right direction for me.

Though I do still feel a bit muffled, I will say that even now, I already feel more in tune than I did when I first made this post so hopefully I continue getting used to this medicine and can get back to how I was. Even if i don't feel it 100% like I used to, I can definitely feel a massive improvement already compared to when I first started.

Thanks for your input!
I’m glad to hear that, I’m working on a thread but I do it all on my phone and then plus triple check all the info. So it can take a few hours but this one may take a week. You may find it useful but for now am really, really happy you are feeling better. But if need be and you want to try I thought I’d let you know.
medication is hot or miss and unfortunately doctors don’t do medicine they “practice” medicine and everybody is different.
Post automatically merged:

Also… a cured patient is a lost customer -wink

Last edited: