• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Any Geology nuts here? What's the best method for extracting geodes from small stones?

Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking of getting whip-it supplies, to chill the rock so a blow with a hammer might have more effect. Whip-its are Nitrous-Oxide containers marketed for baking, but used mainly by folks on ecstasy. Still, Ive used one before so I know how to do it, just wondering if a fairly hard rock can be fractured easily by a good hammer blow if chilled with nitrous oxide first.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Awards
in a word, no

you will get pulverized not "fractured"

why smash geodes anyway? moving earth for no reason is the original sin, and geodes are violent destructive energy left over from the armageddon event, becoming attached to them can only bring pain

Reaction score
Awards
Okay. Will hang onto the whole stones and learn the geology and mineralogy from common notes then, and assume what may be in them rather than opening and analyzing them as Geologists would.
Then I will return them among nature, when Ive discovered as much as I can learn about them.
I know many shamanic practitioners have their mouth agape in horror when they hear such an idea. However, the Geology teacher I had a decade back encouraged me to smash rocks apart to identify the minerals and crystals contained within.
To understand the chemical compounds and compositions of the contents within that teaches me more about the properties of the stones.
But if ignorance is bliss, then I will not damage them.

Reaction score
Awards
if you get your understanding from men then you are blissfully unaware, geologists are almost as clueless as cosmologists, our world is constructed mostly of ignorance cemented together with lies, there is nothing to gain from moving stone, but if i give you a sandwich and talk to you for five minutes your life will change in ways you can scarcely imagine, this is the real magic

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Okay. Will hang onto the whole stones and learn the geology and mineralogy from common notes then, and assume what may be in them rather than opening and analyzing them as Geologists would.
Then I will return them among nature, when Ive discovered as much as I can learn about them.
I know many shamanic practitioners have their mouth agape in horror when they hear such an idea. However, the Geology teacher I had a decade back encouraged me to smash rocks apart to identify the minerals and crystals contained within.
To understand the chemical compounds and compositions of the contents within that teaches me more about the properties of the stones.
@Jarhyn has a thread in the Art section. It might not be exactly what you mean but it might give you some ideas.

Reaction score
Awards
Without breaking rocks apart, as every type of mineral has a specific chemical composition, you would never know what the rocks are, their purposes (such as limestone base for medicial prescription drugs), how to identify them, etc.
Being ignorant of the Arts and Sciences is in my opinion, no good. How would the great magicians or scientists of the past, where would they be if we left every element of nature alone? We'd be living in housing made of twigs. We wouldn't have medicine. No car. No bicycle (need the metals to build them after all).
I get your point, but we do need to allow science to make discoveries to help us.

Reaction score
Awards
We'd be living in housing made of twigs. We wouldn't have medicine. No car. No bicycle (need the metals to build them after all).
I get your point, but we do need to allow science to make discoveries to help us.
your twigs and no metal society is far superior to our violent and sickly world, when science finally solves all the problems they created then maybe they can help us

Reaction score
Awards
Im not saying Science is the savior, but for us who would like to be magicians, its helpful to know the sciences, including Mineralogy.

Reaction score
Awards
I can respect your views. I did once extract a green mineral the color of an emerald from a basaltic stone. It took a lot of effort to crack it open.
Utterly gorgeous. Then I lost all my geology stones Id collected on the course three day field trip throughout Michigan.
Post automatically merged:

I may have to resort to a Dremmel kit or a small drill or saw with diamond tip blades, to reveal what is inside a shoebox of stones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
cheap wet saw is your best bet...

qep-wet-tile-saws-blades-22900q-64_1000.jpg

DamnatioMemoriae

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
in a word, no

you will get pulverized not "fractured"

why smash geodes anyway? moving earth for no reason is the original sin, and geodes are violent destructive energy left over from the armageddon event, becoming attached to them can only bring pain

Literally has nothing to do with armageddon. A geode is an air pocket in a rock, that has crystallized due to the minerals in the water that seeped in. It happens frequently around volcanoes, along tectonic plates and quite frequently below the sea bed. The reality is, about 70% of the crystals everyone on this forum is using, came from a geode. There is no inherent dark energy surrounding facets of nature, especially amongst totally inanimate objects. If becoming attached to a geode brings you pain, you've brought your own pain to the geode...

Reaction score
Awards
the armageddon event, ragnarok, whatever you want to call it, was what destroyed the megalithic civilization, a time known as the golden age, this catastrophe was the result of the sun producing a micronova, multiple coronal mass ejections struck the planet, these blasts of plasma contained ionized elements that condensed on earth forming various crystals and compounds, in reality those crystals were once vibrant soil minerals and that is where their residual energy derives from, the crystals are but a shadow of their former glory, a recording or a memory, becoming attached to these energies causes pain because it draws you into the past, the death illusion, where instead we live right now, with chelated minerals in our blood, an active alchemy

Reaction score
Awards
I think Im going to go with the whippets idea and a rock hammer. What I can afford.