• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Are all real magicians wealthy?

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
There are at least five books I can think of on money Magick, and I've seen several insinuations of "if you're not living your best life now, your magic sucks".

It's my opinion that some Magicians are born into wealth, many LHP magicians become wealthy through their patrons. RHP mages however, seem to lack a bit in general.

I think it depends on what one defines wealth as.

So what's the truth of the matter?

Last edited:

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I dunno, what's a "best life"? Freedom from suffering or its maximal minimization?

Is a magician capable of adapting to worldly conditions regardless of personal fortunes better or worse than one who has a great success story to rub in your face like dog shit?

I struggle with value judgements.

But I like insinuations. Especially those designed to inflict guilt to spur a person on. If I was as good at making those and putting them into a book that sells well, I think I would be quite wealthy. Guilt and greed hand in hand playing hopscotch, jumping to the left hand and right hand whatevers.

How many LHP practitioners don't become wealthy through their patrons? What are the statistics?
Same goes with RHP. There's no holy rollers raking in dough while shining with halos of brightness?

And, magic aside towards knee bending prayer, what about megachurches? What's going on there? Good patronage?

One thing I do know, just looking at history, is if I was a banker I would not give John Dee a credit card or personal loan. The printout of his credit background check would supernaturally catch fire and burn a hole in the table.

But still, everybody's got their circumstances.

I think whoever came up with The Secret was the blackest of magicians. And to put it on an infomercial? Positively satanic!

Reaction score
Awards
Awesome response, thanks for a few laughs there. Much agree.

There is an exercise to be done, meditations on card minors, 10 downtown Ace.
From Wands down to Pentacles.
I tried a reverse order, pentacles up to Wands, and the first card is Lord of Wealth, Mercury in Virgo.

During meditation, and reflections, had serious talk to God. I've felt an unpleasant energy around here. I came to the conclusion that if it was drawn in a reading, it wouldn't necessarilyeam a person will become wealthy, but is wealthy. And who is the Lord of Wealth?

Last edited:

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Depends what your goal of “real magician” is.

if you view the intrinsic purpose of Magick as the tool to enlightenment/ overcoming the ego, then material manifestation is seen as a side effect instead of the primary goal.

also the LHP / RHP seems more arbitrary by the day. It is quite hard to advance towards enlightenment with a hungry belly and worrying about physical safety, there is nothing wrong with using Magick to manifest things in the physical world.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I think it depends on what one defines wealth as.
It indeed depends, there are many mages who have commercialized magic, such as divinators on TV doing it for money, you can also find many commercial websites which exist primarily to make money out of magic by selling various occult related stuff.

I would define wealth as a treasure trove of knowledge.
Recently I've read in one book which says "the end of learning is learning the truth", but who will say "I've learned the truth", It's like one is trying to say to be all knowable, which is absurd, there is also another saying which goes "there are as many truths as there are people", thus if one says "I know the truth" it's thus very likely nobody is going to believe them.

Therefore 'true' wealth I think is the knowledge itself, the more a mage knows more wealthy they are (spiritually), and inherently more powerful.

Take a real life example, since ever there is new knowledge coming in forms of technologies, those who invented those technologies in almost all cases become very rich either by selling their patents or by commercializing their knowledge ex. by producing stuff based on new tech.
In any case however they do not reveal their knowledge to make sure others don't make money out of their effort.
In the end what brings them more money is knowledge and ability to come out with new ideas, money however is expendable.

Know that those books which layout spells to bring you wealth and buried gold were mostly written in renaissance era, and these books actually ruin magic, these books claiming to bring you wealth, obviously because nobody ever found buried gold with the help of such books.
And the reason for existence of such books is money, these books were so to attract buyers.
Red Dragon is one example of such book, I personally don't consider it to be a book about magic at all because it's a pure commercial product, made not with magic in mind, there might be some insights but the addition of buried gold ruins entire book.

There are many books about magic which are about magic rather than wealth, so if one seeks to learn and practice magic I would say avoid books about magical wealth and seek books about magic, books with spiritual value.

Of course every book is written to be sold but I'm not saying that these are thus fake, rather fake are those which offer real life wealth.
That is, knowledge about magic which is about real life wealth instead of spiritual wealth is not knowledge about magic.

And who is the Lord of Wealth?
I would say the one who possess knowledge (and is able to distinguish texts about magic from texts with commercial nature).

Know also one historical fact, which is that since ancient times mages, priests, healers etc. made their living from donations of those seeking help.
It was customary for ex. to not come before man of God or a mage etc. empty handed, this is a huge difference from commercializing knowledge by selling stuff for fixed price.

Can you imagine a cashier in the entrance of the church with a cash machine printing bills and collecting fixed amount of money?
I'm sure churches would soon be laughed upon and nobody would enter except to laugh even more, that would be pure commercialization without any spiritual value.
There would be a lot of suspicion about spiritual truth-ness and purpose.

Magic being of spiritual value and purpose, likewise, if commercialized or purely about wealth cannot be considered to bring any spiritual value or wealth or power, it rather brings only suspicion which ruins it.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
From my reading of OTO biographies those magicians typically have tragic lives.

Perhaps there is blow-back from pushing around energy beings

Reaction score
Awards
1) Are all talented magicians wealthy?
No.

2) Can any talented magician improve their lot in life significantly?
Yes.

3) Is wealth or luck a sign of being a talented magician?
No. Being a mediocre magician and a good salesman is usually money in the bank as long as you don’t do number four below.

4) Are talented magicians still human beings who do stupid shit and screw up their lives worse than before?
Hell yes. (Especially once you factor in some of the common character traits that can be found with many famous magicians, the fact that we’re dealing with complex realities we can’t fully comprehend, and the fact that humans generally do something stupid eventually and doing magic is sort of like leverage finance in that when it goes bad it REALLY goes bad.)

5) Is a never improving, never changing financial situation a decent sign that someone is not a talented magician?
YES.

-Eld

(If I owe you a response, I will get it to you. Been working on something unexpected.)

Reaction score
Awards
In my 20s my wages were laughable nut normal and Wicca was a hot new thing with me. No direction until a second round of college. Becoming a programmer and getting paid well should've been the sign for me, to think differently and be good at programming. I literally had good luck.
In my 30s I was a contracting professional and paid well. Momentary bad luck,
In my 40s and 50s, it's been drastically different.
I think once I have plans approved and put into action simultaneously then it must improve.
To know my situation and respond positively. No matter the issues.

I think there should be a universal standard for those on the magic path diligently reading, studying and practicing.
Magic social care programs or the like.
Post automatically merged:

In my 30s.i flirted with magic and witchcraft. In my 40s and 50s the golden Dawn became priority.

So is the stagnation and feeling of overwhelm normal along with depression in the Zelator grade? Yes.

Tryingformore

Visitor
Reaction score
I mean, I would figure that that depends on what the magician in question wants. Do they WANT to be fabulously wealthy? Do they want to just get by? Do they want to influence that part of their life at all? Really, I'd say it entirely depends on the individual.

Reaction score
Awards
Great point, intent is key. This.magician wants to get by comfortably, and be gifted with manifested items that can be combined to be cool and profitable stuff, and to build a magic guild.

Or .. the wealth can be in our libraries, results, surroundings, physical tangible assets, new income channels open, family and friends, etc.

Last edited:

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I mean, I would figure that that depends on what the magician in question wants. Do they WANT to be fabulously wealthy? Do they want to just get by? Do they want to influence that part of their life at all? Really, I'd say it entirely depends on the individual.

Excellent point. The automatic assumption of many seems to be that success=wealth. But building and maintaining an empire is a ton of work. Most of us just want to be comfortable, not incredibly powerful. Just enough is still enough, after all.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Totally agree. Part of completing the great work and transcending the ego results in a natural loss of desire as you strengthen the layers of the aura.

So a great magician who has transcended the ego will have no desire for fame, wealth or anything worldly, as this is the true meaning of the Jesus’ message in John 8:23
“And He was saying to them, you are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world”

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
You can look at saints of west and monks of east, and you can see that these people had so much power yet posessed nothing.

Now everyone knows there are some morons who really think you can only be qualified a magician if you are filthy rich. But thats just a childish point of view. Some people are really detached from this world. And wealth in money sense does mean naught to them.

I mean , everyone advises people to detach after rituals yet we should expect great magicians must be attached to money? Come on.

Of course there were many historical figures that dabbled in magick and had all the wealth and power in earthly sense too, just Egyptian practictioners and King Solomon are examples. We can debate on his existence but thats beside the point here.

Magick is surely mystical but it seems to have a mechanic side of it too.

Reaction score
Awards
That's why my idea of a magic guild, where people registered just waltz in and have sacred space to do their thing, pay and leave, stands out strongly in my mind.

Where I'm at it in life it will be magic to accomplish. But a certain underground version is being launched locally.

Still, it will be work in its own right. To
banish and consecrate everytime someone leaves will get tedious quick.

But I will also have a magic partner of the LHP persuasion with me.
So, this would ordinarily be a string of required miracles manifested. But I can see it.

And imagine one requirement would be the ritual diary has to remain onsite, thou shalt not steal,.and enjoy a cup of coffee and a diary while you wait.

Last edited:

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Though, I do think a modern magician should complete Maslows Pyramid. Jews had something like this, one wouldn't be allowed to study the Jewish Kabbalah without getting to age of 40, which I assume is for maturity/a solid wealth/marriage. Though someone who knows better could correct me on this.

Reaction score
Awards
You're dead on there. They figured that would also indicate they wouldn't get stuck in a state of inertia, be in thought but feet on the ground, etc.

Reaction score
Awards
Yep. Because we could harvest the energy and filter it.

Oh .. the diaries. No more an awful joke. But a small library and cafe as well.