• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Banned user constantly online

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Under "members online" there is one user ceron469 which is always online, he apparently has "banned" badge under his username, so I suppose this is a bug.
Am I the only one seeing it are do you see it as well?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
You mean, he could serve as a reminder to everybody else? :)
This sounds cool, but in reality, being banned means you just lose access to posting and other member privilleges. It doesn't make sense to completely not allow them on the site seeing as they can just log out and see the site anyway. It's a spam bot account anyway... even if I took away every single permission to view the site, they would still log on and their shitty spam software would be trying to post spam...

I suppose I could delete the account... but cba... ๐Ÿ˜‚

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
even if I took away every single permission to view the site, they would still log on and their shitty spam software would be trying to post spam...
So if for ex. I got banned this doesn't prevent me from logging in? ban should mean unable to log in don't you think?
I could still browse the site but not being able to log in there is nothing else I could do.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
So if for ex. I got banned this doesn't prevent me from logging in? ban should mean unable to log in don't you think?
I could still browse the site but not being able to log in there is nothing else I could do.
one of the many reasons to allow banned members to log in aside from what I have already posted above is so that they can see what reason they were banned for, and how much longer they have left on thir ban.

so no, banned should not mean unable to log in.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Viktor to fully ban an account from logging in could be a very big problem. If that account is using a VPN or cloudflare to access the site than many accounts could be banned depending on their hosting or the whole site could be banned from access. It's been an issue with forum software since 2004. So they have zero access to post or do anything but log in. This way it makes the site safe from spam or trolls. But does help with active users online. Not a horrible option to potential new users registering. So yeah it's a trick bag with full vans on access. I hope that better explains how that works behind the scenes. I have many years of experience in running websites.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
damn league, thanks. sometimes its so hard to explain such stuff to people who know a pc as most women know a car...

Evan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think all banned people should have a second opportunity. We're going through a lot and it's not easy to conform to what is correct or accepted at certain stages of our lifes.

Evan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I asked myself before, why he was banned?

Evan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This sounds cool, but in reality, being banned means you just lose access to posting and other member privilleges. It doesn't make sense to completely not allow them on the site seeing as they can just log out and see the site anyway. It's a spam bot account anyway... even if I took away every single permission to view the site, they would still log on and their shitty spam software would be trying to post spam...

I suppose I could delete the account... but cba... ๐Ÿ˜‚
Have you ever made such a similar comment in any other post? I think I read the same comment yesterday but it wasn't a deja vu.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
damn league, thanks. sometimes its so hard to explain such stuff to people who know a pc as most women know a car...
You're welcome. Yeah I was hoping it came out well. It's a tough bet. But letting the bot login solves a ton of our potential problems

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Well at least its a bot again.๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜‰

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think all banned people should have a second opportunity. We're going through a lot and it's not easy to conform to what is correct or accepted at certain stages of our lifes.
This was a spam bot account. Most actual members will not get banned.

Have you ever made such a similar comment in any other post? I think I read the same comment yesterday but it wasn't a deja vu.
Yeah, maybe it was a profile post though, instead of a forum post.