• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Journal Books About Magic in Society & History

A record of a users' progress or achievements in their particular practice.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I love to learn about how society works as well as about history(though don't ask me to remember dates, numbers never were and never will be my forte), and this isn't different when it comes to magic itself, it is actually quite interesting seeing how the views of old eras and different culture colored the perception of people when it came to "magic".

This journal of mine will be a place for me to "nerd out" on the books I read about the subject(s), give my own input and generally talk about magic as I learn about it.Sometimes I will pick books that are mostly about the theory of magic rather than it's place in society/history, as those are also an interesting read even if they might seem to be a bit "too much" sometimes and without the interesting facet of the human aspect.
Post automatically merged:

The first book I picked to read is:
large

The link between culture, literacy and magical knowledge is one that can be seen well in works that speak of the middle ages.
It's quite something to see in many works how-aside some exceptions-most people that dealt with magic were those from classes with money or linked to religious bodies.

Makes sense though that those already in power would also be the ones most intent and achieving even more power.

I will write a comentary of the book after having read it later.

Makes sense though that those already in power would also be the ones most intent and achieving even more power.
*in

Last edited:

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like you are the type of person that is willing the read about time immemorial if it means you are getting entertained on occult rabbit holes (was a compliment, may sould bizarre), may I offer you the idea of you checking out writings about Gobeklitepe? Its the first temple in the world, discovered so far at least.

Now I won't pollute your journey further. Was just a food for thought.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Reading new book

91k0+vyGPmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe I was an anthropologist in a past life, or a sociologist, since I do like to learn about these human culture tidbits.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The commentary about the previous book(and probably this one too) will be released once I'm done with my finals.

I will only need to take my notes and skim them into something more concise.