• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Bringing Objects Home from the Cemetery

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
So how do we feel about bringing objects home from the cemetery?

I don't mean stealing things off graves. That's trash.

The cemetery by our house has a TON of hydrangea bushes for decoration, and oaks, and pines. I'm considering harvesting the green pinecones that fall off the trees next year for simple syrup, and maybe the acorns. Right now, though, the dead hydrangea bunches are snapping off (bc fall) and I like the way they look so I brought some home and stuck them in my carnival glass pitcher behind a stack of fake skulls. I'll have to take a pic. It looks so cool that I haven't decorated for Christmas yet bc I don't want to remove it.

How do we feel about that? Am I just asking for trouble?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Euoi from the old forum would love to answer this, probably. Maybe @The God-King / @Nana would like to answer from a technical perspective, but shit, I wouldn't ever bring anything home from a cemetery/burial ground... unless it was needed for some sort of ritual work, and even then, never into my home.

I don't fuck with cemeteries or crossroads... 😂

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
You can bring items home from the cemetery. You would just have to make sure you get permission from the Gatekeeper or whichever spirits preside over that particular cemetery. Since you're bringing home plants rather than graveyard dirt or some other item particular to the dead, a simple request to the gatekeeper and leaving an offering or two should suffice. But you want to ensure that you actually did get in contact with the Gatekeeper rather than just assuming you did and taking whatever it is home. If you are not proficient in any sort of spirit communication you can try to do a divination such as bone throwing to determine if the gatekeeper accepts your petition or not. Alternatively you could try to get in contact with your ancestors and see if they can intercede on your behalf with the Gatekeeper.

But in my opinion, since it's a plant rather than a necromantic or necrosophic item then a simple petition should be fine.

Also be sure to cleanse yourself when arriving home. You don't want that death essence running ramps within your home.

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
You can bring items home from the cemetery. You would just have to make sure you get permission from the Gatekeeper or whichever spirits preside over that particular cemetery. Since you're bringing home plants rather than graveyard dirt or some other item particular to the dead, a simple request to the gatekeeper and leaving an offering or two should suffice. But you want to ensure that you actually did get in contact with the Gatekeeper rather than just assuming you did and taking whatever it is home. If you are not proficient in any sort of spirit communication you can try to do a divination such as bone throwing to determine if the gatekeeper accepts your petition or not. Alternatively you could try to get in contact with your ancestors and see if they can intercede on your behalf with the Gatekeeper.

But in my opinion, since it's a plant rather than a necromantic or necrosophic item then a simple petition should be fine.

Also be sure to cleanse yourself when arriving home. You don't want that death essence running ramps within your home.

So if I wanted to get in touch with the Gatekeeper, would I need to know their name? Because that could be an issue. This place is so old they have Revolutionary War soldiers buried there and no one knows where, and they've lost a lot of their records.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
So if I wanted to get in touch with the Gatekeeper, would I need to know their name? Because that could be an issue. This place is so old they have Revolutionary War soldiers buried there and no one knows where, and they've lost a lot of their records.
No need to know their name. If you leave the Gatekeeper's name, great, but it's not a requirement. If you're ever in doubt, consult your ancestors. They should be your first stop when working with the dead.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Nothing good comes from cemetery energies. Things go there to decompose. And although not many, lost spirits there can easily attach themselves to us without the proper protections. As a palero, our godfather has specifically prohibited us from going even near cemeteries, which is very unconventional from other branches (outside of funerals and visiting loved ones). In Palo Mayombe for example, lots of work is done in cemeteries, from looking for spirits for an Nkisi/Nganga/Matari, collecting soils, to malefic work. In the branch that I'm part of, Palo Monte, we're of the belief that spirits are everywhere. There's way better places to find spirits and collect materials for malefic work. But that's a separate topic.

Now in terms of collecting plants like in your case OP, I would be very cautious. One of the places that spirits love to inhabit are plants, more so trees. It's possible to bring home a plant from a cemetery with a spirit attached. Like others have said though, you can cleanse the plants to hopefully rid them of any accompanying energies. But really, I would be more worried about something attaching itself to your astral body while in there than something that may come with a plant.

People are obviously free to do as they wish, and my viewpoint is solely mines. But if for any reason, anyone finds themselves wanting to visit a cemetery for anything, even funeral services, here's some steps to take:
  • Wear/take some type of protection. Whether it be amulet, crystals, stones, plants, anything helps.
  • Bring an offering. Florida water, rose water, rum, tobacco, coins, etc.
  • Bring a bag, preferably black. Grocery bag, paper bags, etc.
  • Before entering, invoke your spirit guides, protectors, and ancestors. Knock at the entrance 3 times and ask the watcher of the cemetery for permission while stating your purpose. If you have a divination device, like a pendulum, shells, bones, chamalongos, anything, use that to confirm. Or use your mediumship to get your answer. If denied access, yeah it sucks but give thanks and walk away. You can try another day or place.
  • If collecting something, when finding it, ask for permission for that thing. If granted, respectfully collect the material, give thanks, and leave the offering.
  • Place the item in the bag. If driving, stick the bag in your trunk.
  • Before going inside you house, leave your shoes outside. These should be cleaned with Florida Water. I'm actually planning on a post with a spray cleanser that's super useful for that kind of stuff.
  • Wash the items with Florida Water. Maybe do some more divination for further confirmation that the item is accepted into your space.
  • Give yourself a cleanse of some form. Whether with Florida Water, smudge, tobacco, preparing a bath, or a combination. You can't be too safe here.
That should help ensure that you personally don't bring anything home with you. I would personally get rid of the plants but if you wanted to keep them, give them a cleanse and ask your protectors to help remove any unwanted vibes.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Can you make a separate post about this?
Maybe. I’m just always reluctant giving that kind of info away because some people aren’t ready for it and can get burnt badly. And malefic work isn’t something I necessarily promote, although I do fully recognize the need for defense sometimes. If I do write a post on it, I need a little time to word it out right.

But in the meantime here’s this bit on it (not going to give more info other than what’s written here at the moment.):
  • Hospitals - if you want to find spirits, this is one of the best places. People die there constantly. Some tragic and unexpected, others of old age. One who has decent mediumship abilities could hang out in the lobby and experience a number of spirits. If you’re really open to communication, they’ll just come right up to you. Here you’ll find lost spirits who don’t know or accept that they’re dead. These are the kinds of spirits that are usually most disposed to work with us after some dialog. Hospital soil is a good multi purpose tool because you can use it to help someone or bring them trouble.
  • Swamps - although spirits may be present, this location is good for bringing things to a standstill. Swamps have stagnant water and usually have lots of decomposing life in its waters; animals, plants and bugs. Not gonna go into detail here on what kind of work you can do, I’ll leave it up to your imagination.
  • Dead end road - Similar concept to a swamp, but this location provides a way to close someone’s paths. Haven’t really encountered spirits there unless one has recently passed there and is lost.

Nana

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
So how do we feel about bringing objects home from the cemetery?

I don't mean stealing things off graves. That's trash.

The cemetery by our house has a TON of hydrangea bushes for decoration, and oaks, and pines. I'm considering harvesting the green pinecones that fall off the trees next year for simple syrup, and maybe the acorns. Right now, though, the dead hydrangea bunches are snapping off (bc fall) and I like the way they look so I brought some home and stuck them in my carnival glass pitcher behind a stack of fake skulls. I'll have to take a pic. It looks so cool that I haven't decorated for Christmas yet bc I don't want to remove it.

How do we feel about that? Am I just asking for trouble?
Divination, people! Divination! There's no hard and fast rules for these things except don't dabble in stuff you don't understand. Cemeteries scare people because death is scary. Not messing with things just because they're scary is silly.
Having said all of this, cemeteries are crowded with the spirits of the dead and spirits of renewal, particularly spirits of disintegration and they can become attached to things or leave their marks on them.
Divine if the spirits of your head & home would even permit such things in the house. And when checking with the head spirits don't just stop with your own. The heads of everyone in the house should be queried as they are not less likely to disturb everyone's peace if they are offended by something brought home that they don't want there. Even worse other people's head spirits probably own heads that don't listen to them so you've just applied for the position.
Divine at the door if you are permitted to take anything out of or bring anything into the cemeteries. Spirits have purpose and sometimes those purposes include keeping things in or out. Find out what qualifies as ritually pure for the cemetery spirits and meet that condition if you can. Again, be mindful of your own head spirits' rules here.
At least offer just compensation. There are certain consistencies between the material and the ephemeral and one of them is a conservation of mass. Taking something always leave a vacuum so either fill it with an offering or fill it with a sacrifice. If they give it to you for nothing they will want a favor later, which brings me to my final advice...
Spirits, especially those of the dead, thrive on community. Once they know you, they will act like it. I'm talking about stopping by to say what's up. Borrow some sugar. Ask about your peoples. I recommend treating them like you treat the living. Be respectful, but clear and firm in your boundaries. Look after those who respect you and avoid those who don't and for them that challenge you handle it quickly and decisively lest you encourage others to take from you.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ryen, TGK, and NANA summed it up perfectly

i would just like to add...you should be careful when bringing in grave dirt to your home, keep it in a sealed container and cleanse after handling it

i once read about a enochian magician who brought some dirt in her home and left it uncovered and bad things happened, afterwards, dispose of it properly by throwing it in running water or at the crossroads or at the cemetery