• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Collaborative Transcription

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Site was accidentally down for a day. Rebooted that server and forgot to start the rails server. I'll have to script that to run on boot. Need to get back to doing some transcribing.
Hell yeah, good job this happened cause it put the project back on my radar!

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Is the site still down or did you block my account 🤔😅
The link is unavailable and the main site doesn't recognize my username? Tried a cup of times throughout the weeks

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Is the site still down or did you block my account 🤔😅
The link is unavailable and the main site doesn't recognize my username? Tried a cup of times throughout the weeks
Oh crap. Sorry about that. I neglected to add the cron job to start the rails server and I had rebooted the server.

I added it this time, I swear:

crontab -l
@reboot RAILS_ENV=development rails server -b 209.23.127.235 -d

:)

I've been so busy lately with work I haven't had time to do any transcription myself, but I have a week vacation starting this Friday so I'm going to put some time in.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Is this still going? I see Incog hasn’t been around for a couple weeks, and the link in the original post isn’t functioning at the moment.

I’ll have some spare time this last half of summer and into fall and I’d love to lend a hand making sense of a few pages.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Already sent him an email. I'll give it a week or two to see if Incog will return/reupload the site or at least send over the transcribed files.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Skull, I have no idea what address you emailed. I don't have any email or in-forum notes from you or anyone else. The email on my forum account is the correct one and I check it regularly.

I've had a very rough few months and didn't notice it was down. It's set to start on boot, so best I can figure is it crashed. FromThePage is written in Ruby/Rails, and there's unfortunately not really anything like FromThePage out there, especially for free.

It's not down intentionally, it's back up now and I'll try to figure out how to get it to auto restart if it crashes. I don't have a problem hosting anything. I have a ton of resources I can tap into whenever I want to.

However...

I gotta call some bullshit. In the last 9-10 months, only myself, Yazata and Pepin have made any contributions at all. FromThePage keeps logs of all activity.

If you look at the stats from the day I installed it until today (just over a year), I mean it's kind of depressing for a "community" project:

Q7397v1.png

Note that some of the transcribed pages are blank or close to blank, so even those numbers don't really represent what's actually been done.

Almost everyone who says they're interested never signs up. The few that DO sign up, never actually do anything. This was supposed to be a community collaboration project, not rely on just a couple people to do almost all the work.

If we can get people to actually help, let's do this. Let's get some more stuff up there, maybe stuff with a little bit better handwriting. If no one is actually interested, that's fine too. I'm just over people saying they'll help and never actually logging in.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Skull, I have no idea what address you emailed. I don't have any email or in-forum notes from you or anyone else. The email on my forum account is the correct one and I check it regularly.
I used my personal email, not a WF one. It might have gone to spam, but I promise I did send one on the 24th of July, I can PM you a screenshot if you want 😂

I've had a very rough few months and didn't notice it was down. It's set to start on boot, so best I can figure is it crashed.
No worries, it happens. Hope you are doing better now.

It's not down intentionally, it's back up now and I'll try to figure out how to get it to auto restart if it crashes. I don't have a problem hosting anything. I have a ton of resources I can tap into whenever I want to.
Glad to hear it! :)

I gotta call some bullshit. In the last 9-10 months, only myself, Yazata and Pepin have made any contributions at all. FromThePage keeps logs of all activity.

If you look at the stats from the day I installed it until today (just over a year), I mean it's kind of depressing for a "community" project:

Q7397v1.png

Note that some of the transcribed pages are blank or close to blank, so even those numbers don't really represent what's actually been done.

Almost everyone who says they're interested never signs up. The few that DO sign up, never actually do anything. This was supposed to be a community collaboration project, not rely on just a couple people to do almost all the work.

If we can get people to actually help, let's do this. Let's get some more stuff up there, maybe stuff with a little bit better handwriting. If no one is actually interested, that's fine too. I'm just over people saying they'll help and never actually logging in.
You're completely right about one thing for sure; people say they are interested and promise to help, but then never sign up, or in my case sign up, do a few pages, and then lose track of it. But aside from that, just because it was started here, we can't expect every WF member to be interested. And even if some people say they are interested and then never or barely end up helping, I get it, it's annoying, it's not fair but its just how these things go, man. This is an open, loose-knit community, we aren't a bunch of homies from the same hood with a singular focus.

It's just the nature of these things. They are slow burn, inconsistent, gradual things... which is why I don't expect you (or anyone) to keep this up if it is bothering you or pissing you off. At any time, if you're not interested, you can let me know and I'll try to figure out some other way to keep this going.

What's important to me though, is that the progress isn't lost. Let me be clear about one thing. Whether I own WF, or Mart supplied these images, or you host FTP, or Yazata done the most pages or anything like that, this project doesn't belong to any one of us, or even any particular group of us. This is a project for everyone on WF regardless of contribution, which many people won't like but that's why no part of this is compulsory for anyone.

Anyone is free to quit this at any time, but no one is free to withhold or undo any progress, even their own. Obviously most of the responsibility of maintaining, securing and preserving the already done work lies on you, @Incognitus for which I am grateful that you bear it, but if at any time you feel you are not happy to continue providing this service without any expectation of contribution from others, then please let me know.

I was going to PM you this, but in the interest of transparency to everyone on WF, could you please backup, zip, upload and share the current progress/files on this thread as a sort of "hard archive" just in case anything goes wrong in the future?

Thanks man, I really appreciate all you've done for this project.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I just signed up on the transcription page, but not sure how to send a PM on here
You can either click on a user’s name or profile pic and select “start conversation” or click on the envelope button at the top of any page and start it that way, just type out the name(s) of the user(s) you wish to message.

Reaction score
Awards
I used my personal email, not a WF one. It might have gone to spam, but I promise I did send one on the 24th of July, I can PM you a screenshot if you want 😂

No worries, it happens. Hope you are doing better now.

Glad to hear it! :)

You're completely right about one thing for sure; people say they are interested and promise to help, but then never sign up, or in my case sign up, do a few pages, and then lose track of it. But aside from that, just because it was started here, we can't expect every WF member to be interested. And even if some people say they are interested and then never or barely end up helping, I get it, it's annoying, it's not fair but its just how these things go, man. This is an open, loose-knit community, we aren't a bunch of homies from the same hood with a singular focus.

It's just the nature of these things. They are slow burn, inconsistent, gradual things... which is why I don't expect you (or anyone) to keep this up if it is bothering you or pissing you off. At any time, if you're not interested, you can let me know and I'll try to figure out some other way to keep this going.

What's important to me though, is that the progress isn't lost. Let me be clear about one thing. Whether I own WF, or Mart supplied these images, or you host FTP, or Yazata done the most pages or anything like that, this project doesn't belong to any one of us, or even any particular group of us. This is a project for everyone on WF regardless of contribution, which many people won't like but that's why no part of this is compulsory for anyone.

Anyone is free to quit this at any time, but no one is free to withhold or undo any progress, even their own. Obviously most of the responsibility of maintaining, securing and preserving the already done work lies on you, @Incognitus for which I am grateful that you bear it, but if at any time you feel you are not happy to continue providing this service without any expectation of contribution from others, then please let me know.

I was going to PM you this, but in the interest of transparency to everyone on WF, could you please backup, zip, upload and share the current progress/files on this thread as a sort of "hard archive" just in case anything goes wrong in the future?

Thanks man, I really appreciate all you've done for this project.
I get it too. I should take initial first steps. My life is in flux constantly. Perhaps I should've expressed interest without promising.
When crap settles to a reasonable normal degree, will set focus toward this.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Hey all, just a quick notice, the transcription project is currently down, it is being revamped with some different software. Check my profile page for more updates as they come.

Special thanks to @Incognitus for doing all the hard work until now!

Status
Not open for further replies.