• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Collaborative Transcription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I haven't run into that one yet, but I did forget to hit save on a huge page, closed my laptop and came back later and started clicking around. Lost the whole thing. That was a bummer. Oh well. It actually gets somewhat easier to read as you go through it.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Indeed it does. A well, it's just a bump in the road, gotta keep marching on.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Jaide is my wife and will be helping out with the transcription.
I guessed it was one of the off-site people who you had invited into the FromThePage project. Didn't think it would be your wife though!

Cool!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the effort guys. I'll make sure credit is given where credit is due, and I'll even try and see if I can get a little reward pool going! :)

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I guessed it was one of the off-site people who you had invited into the FromThePage project. Didn't think it would be your wife though!

Cool!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the effort guys. I'll make sure credit is given where credit is due, and I'll even try and see if I can get a little reward pool going! :)

Don't mention it. It's been really interesting. Frustrating. Even as someone who went to school when they were still teaching cursive, that handwriting is atrocious. But fun nonetheless.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Don't mention it. It's been really interesting. Frustrating. Even as someone who went to school when they were still teaching cursive, that handwriting is atrocious. But fun nonetheless.
I know, right...

But that feeling when you finally figure out a few letters or words and can fill out almost a whole page is a nice one :D

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
So, this had to be paused a bit. The last month was brutal, work wise. I'm planning on getting back into transcribing this week and hope to knock some pages off the list. As always, if someone wants to help, go to the link in the first post and create a user, then PM me on here so I can add permissions so you can transcribe.

I also want to get a help page written up, so we can all follow the same procedures, and it will also have some helpful tips. For example, when you're making a first pass at a page, don't be concerned about words you can't read. Spend a couple seconds and then just put ?? in the transcription and move on. Further down the page, or on another page, may be the same word or abbreviation written neater and it'll click and you can go back and fix the ??s. Get 90% of the page done first, then worry about the pieces that were hard to read after. It'll contribute to you remaining sane.

I also have 3-4 old 5 year diaries that I purchased at a antique mall. All are from the same family. There's nothing occult about them, but they are hand written and I may take pictures and stick those on the FromThePage site in a separate section. Mostly boring farming related stuff, but every once in awhile it looks like they had some excitement in their lives.

Also thinking some of the old, weird tracts I have that are not handwritten, but may not have any digital versions out there because they're so obscure. Those are occult related.

I just need to take a lot of pictures to get them on the site.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
So, this had to be paused a bit. The last month was brutal, work wise. I'm planning on getting back into transcribing this week and hope to knock some pages off the list. As always, if someone wants to help, go to the link in the first post and create a user, then PM me on here so I can add permissions so you can transcribe.

I also want to get a help page written up, so we can all follow the same procedures, and it will also have some helpful tips. For example, when you're making a first pass at a page, don't be concerned about words you can't read. Spend a couple seconds and then just put ?? in the transcription and move on. Further down the page, or on another page, may be the same word or abbreviation written neater and it'll click and you can go back and fix the ??s. Get 90% of the page done first, then worry about the pieces that were hard to read after. It'll contribute to you remaining sane.

I also have 3-4 old 5 year diaries that I purchased at a antique mall. All are from the same family. There's nothing occult about them, but they are hand written and I may take pictures and stick those on the FromThePage site in a separate section. Mostly boring farming related stuff, but every once in awhile it looks like they had some excitement in their lives.

Also thinking some of the old, weird tracts I have that are not handwritten, but may not have any digital versions out there because they're so obscure. Those are occult related.

I just need to take a lot of pictures to get them on the site.
Good stuff man, excited.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
If I had the time I'd join this but at the moment I can't.
Same with all of us tbh. What I would suggest is you register on the site, and tell @Incognitus your username so he can approve your accound and add you to the project.

That way, the barrier is removed and next time you have some free time you can just quickly do a small chunk.

That's how we all operate I guess, just gotta chip away at it.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Hah same page, too, page 19. That's the one I lost. o_O
Wtf.. i completed page 19 yesterday. After saving I accidentally hit "mark as blank page" instead of "needs review".
I am unable to reverse this for some reason. In the "versions" you can see the page is complete.
Did page 20 this morning.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Wtf.. i completed page 19 yesterday. After saving I accidentally hit "mark as blank page" instead of "needs review".
I am unable to reverse this for some reason. In the "versions" you can see the page is complete.
@Incognitus can you check this out and reverse it? I think there is version control in FTP.

Thanks for the help, @Yazata

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
In this case, if you accidentally mark as blank and save, just unchecking mark as blank and resaving will bring back the last version. Page 19 should be back now.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks. I see it's back now.I tried your suggestion a couple of times yesterday and this morning but for some reason it remained blank when I did it. No matter 👍

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks. I see it's back now.I tried your suggestion a couple of times yesterday and this morning but for some reason it remained blank when I did it. No matter 👍
I had to uncheck mark as blank, click save and then click done, and then browse back to the page.

I think there's a fromthepage update. I need to look into that.

Yikes, page 21 of the seven planetary degrees is a tough one to transcribe.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Reviewed the first couple of pages and focussed on the missing words. Was able to read a lot of them and have added these with "unclear".
Part of one of my old jobs was reading doctors' recipes. Comes in handy 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.