• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Creating golems?

Ereshkigal

Neophyte
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried making golems? I was hoping to have a spirit/soil inhabit a statue of some sort and was curious if that was even possible. Would it have control over it's new body or would it just be trapped

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Never tried it, but I read some old alchemical texts on various instructions, often dealing with sealing food / blood in a pot and burying it in manure until it "becomes alive" (probably meaning that the various bug eggs in it have hatched) and starts to move. I doubt a clay puppet or any other lifeless thing could become animated, so if you were to trap / house a spirit or soul into a statue it won't move (in my opinion but not based on experience)

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Aryeh Kaplan in his Sefer Yetzirah posits making a golem is basically constructing an astral body using Hebrew letters that I think is meant to be linked with Merkavah/hekhalot style transcendence (or is it descent?). I'm about to get back into that stuff once I get my "complete" copy of the Zohar (God willing!), as I am tempting blithering confusion towards my confrontation (conjunction) with Metatron (unless I am him, or becoming him, and not the Messiah, which would be a relief since I am not Jewish, and despite the patrilineage Enoch "existed" before there were Jews).

But really, you can ensoul anything by a variety of methods, and even give it license to go forth and influence, etc. But creating a hulk of mud with magic powers is beyond my grasp (for now), though I think in modern terms it would be more efficient (even bad ass) to build an AI powered robot and seal it with a shem.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve heard of people using elementals or thoughtforms for prolonged periods of times by housing them in a physical vessel, it’s definitely possible. But as was already mentioned it would be the astral or etheric body “going out”.

Reaction score
Awards
Magic of the North Gate from Quareia has a section on enlivening statues as well. Not really golems, but might be helpful with a clay statue.
On Golems, check out Gnostic gospels on the childhood of Christ where he makes a bird out of clay.
Also, Ezekiel, particularly breathing on the bones might hold a clue. Breathing the names of God into it.

Last edited: