• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

DiLuculo Delfuego, I summon you

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I take the liberty of sharing an elaborate passage from Giorgio Agamben's book "Profanations", chapter 4: Assistants (will share the whole book in Book Shares).
I post it because, really folks, 9842 messages later, we can not pretend like he has vanished into thin air. As magicians, we know that this is just not how things work.

The fragment goes as follows :

In Kafka's novels, we encounter creatures who are referred to as Gehilfen, "assistants" or "helpers." But help seems to be the last thing they are able to give. They have no knowledge, no skills, and no "equipment"; they never do anything but engage in foolish behavior and childish games; they are "pests" and even sometimes "cheeky" and "lecherous:' (...) And yet they are attentive observers, "quick" and "supple"; they have sparkling eyes and, in contrast to their childish ways, the adult faces, "of students almost" with long, thick beards. Someone, it's not clear who, has assigned them to us, and it isn't easy to get them off our backs.

In sum, "we don't know who they are"- perhaps they are "emissaries" from the enemy (which would explain why they do nothing but lie in wait and watch). But they look like angels, messengers who do not know the content of the letters they must deliver, but whose smile, whose look, whose very posture "seems like a message."

Something about them, an inconclusive gesture, an unforeseen grace, a certain mathematical boldness in judgment and taste, a certain air of nimbleness in their limbs or words- all these features indicate that they belong to a complementary world and allude to a lost citizenship or an inviolable elsewhere.

In this sense, they give us help, even though we can't quite tell what sort of help it is. It could consist precisely in the fact that they cannot be helped, or in their stubborn insistence that "there is nothing to be done for us." For that very reason, we know, in the end, that we have somehow betrayed them. (...)

Robert Walser's assistants are made of the very same stuff- these figures who are irreparably and stubbornly busy collaborating on work that is utterly superfluous, not to say indescribable. If they study- and they seem to study very hard- it is in order to become big fat zeros. And why should they bother to help with anything the world takes seriously? After all, it's nothing but madness. They prefer to take walks. And if they encounter a dog or some living creature on their walks, they whisper: "I have nothing to give you, dear animal; I would gladly give you something, if only I had it." (...)

The assistant is the figure of what is lost. Or, rather, of our relationship to what is lost. This relationship concerns every thing that, in both collective and individual life, comes to be forgotten at every moment. It concerns the unending mass of what becomes irrevocably lost.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I take the liberty of sharing an elaborate passage from Giorgio Agamben's book "Profanations", chapter 4: Assistants (will share the whole book in Book Shares).
I post it because, really folks, 9842 messages later, we can not pretend like he has vanished into thin air. As magicians, we know that this is just not how things work.

The fragment goes as follows :
The guy is still around (or so I think) albeit with a slightly different username.

Anyway, this is the completely wrong section for your post, and I would consider the book you mentioned as off topic for this forum - ten essays about everything under the sun except occultism? Granted, a case could be made for your quote which seems to describe some mythical creatures in Kafka's books (can't remember them from my own reading but I may be wrong) but then it should be framed differently - is there something you'd like to prove or some relevance to what we're discussing here? What's more, the title of your post doesn't refer to its content in any way.

And don't share the book, it has no place in the Library.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Your point is...? The literal truth of some of Kafka's meanderings? Well...I guess we entertain the possibility that Lovecraft was on to something. It'd be rude to slam the door in Franz's face. Still, where are you going with this?

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Your point is...? The literal truth of some of Kafka's meanderings?

Dear Xenophon, I wanted to draw a comparison between an (ex-?)member of this forum (cf. title of this post), and the way assistants operate in fiction and fairy tales, yes, maybe even on fora. The passages I highlighted reminded me of this particular forum member. Agamben's point being (as far as I understood) that in the people we discard, the people in the margin, something crucial comes to the foreground, something we have forgotten.

is there something you'd like to prove or some relevance to what we're discussing here? What's more, the title of your post doesn't refer to its content in any way.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Journal/Thanksgiving section, feel free to move the thread if you can, but my main intent was to not let a forum member with near 10,000 posts just slip away unnoticed. The passage of Agamben really resonated when I thought about their disappearance, and I wanted to share this. I believe WF is also about the people behind the keyboards, much more than we think. Each other user is a mirror to ourselves.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Dear Xenophon, I wanted to draw a comparison between an (ex-?)member of this forum (cf. title of this post), and the way assistants operate in fiction and fairy tales, yes, maybe even on fora. The passages I highlighted reminded me of this particular forum member. Agamben's point being (as far as I understood) that in the people we discard, the people in the margin, something crucial comes to the foreground, something we have forgotten.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Journal/Thanksgiving section, feel free to move the thread if you can, but my main intent was to not let a forum member with near 10,000 posts just slip away unnoticed. The passage of Agamben really resonated when I thought about their disappearance, and I wanted to share this. I believe WF is also about the people behind the keyboards, much more than we think. Each other user is a mirror to ourselves.
Ok, I get the bit about the former poster, I was a bit behind the curve on the literary tie-in. But if I ponder it, I can see it makes sense.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
He didn’t slip away without notice.

He made a spectacle like usual putting Admin on Blast in every place possible.

He’s had so much leniency given as well for rule breaking and still never learned to accept punishments with grace.

This place will be fine.

WonderFire

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Best of luck wherever you go, Dil.
Hope you come back, just consider being a bit more chill.