• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Divination: What Qs do you ask? I'm at a loss

Someone's asking for help!

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I like some of the suggestions here.
As far as predictive dives nation goes, I would opt for IChing, Geomancy, or Horary Astrology.
I saw a very grim future if Ukraine did not win their war, through Geomancy.
I would say divine through whatever method you choose, but understand each method well that you use.
Tarot is a bit harder due today the number of decks out there, meaningless symbols on many, and the grand variety of both spreads and interpretations.
Geomancy or Horary Astrology would be my picks, though I know neither very well.
As far as questions to ask:
Ritual outcomes.
Behavior of others in their own relationships.
Behavior of the weather in some unconnected area.
Where you will lose the next item you will lose.
Why certain people do not change in some aspect (speaking of aspects, astrology would be useful here).
Predictions of n outcomes of reality show stars you watch.
If your favorite bands will release a new album or come to town.
Would it be meta-divination to use divination to enquire what questions to do divination for? Personally, I think it sounds like one needs professional intervention or at least a really "distracting" girlfriend.

Reaction score
Awards
My early divination were esoteric religious questions, such as "describe the war in Heaven". Everyone has their own questions and way of doing things.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Others may already have mentioned this, but it doesn't have to be about the future. Even though, that's generally and historically what divination meant. You can ask questions about the present, that you don't know the answer to. "What ails me?" and all that. I feel that's far more effective, as you already control your future, you just need to know what to do.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Others may already have mentioned this, but it doesn't have to be about the future. Even though, that's generally and historically what divination meant. You can ask questions about the present, that you don't know the answer to. "What ails me?" and all that. I feel that's far more effective, as you already control your future, you just need to know what to do.
Agree, that's what I've always done. It was when I had the idea "I should give future-divination a go" that I realised I couldn't think of any good questions to ask.

My take-away from the answers in this thread is that other magicians don't either - so my guess is future-divination is really more of a non-magician thing (people who don't have much of a sense of their own agency and/or haven't thought through if it's a good idea to ask that question). Which is good to know - other than the Qs of ritual timing, I'm gonna put this aside as not something really pursuing.

Reaction score
Awards
Ask about famous people in history, fact check it, and then do the same for the present and future. Future can be fact checked by looking at current trends.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I thought of a practical use for future divination!!

So when I'm freelancing, you agree to a project and a deadline, and you estimate how long it will take and schedule the work into the calendar.

But inevitably, some of them will turn out to be way easier or more complicated than it looks (the writing quality is a lot more variable than it looked from the sample, for eg). Knowing in advance, "this is going to be one of the trickier ones, allow more time for it" would be super helpful.

Of course, better people than I assume everything will throw up surprise complications and allow extra time for every project. But since I don't do that, the divination would help.

And it would be very straightforward to test and refine my accuracy, since this is a cycle that happens many many times a year.