• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Do Not Pay Magical Teachers!

Faria

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 23, 2024
Messages
323
Reaction score
633
Awards
5
I am here advocating for the total disregard of anybody involved in paid occult mentorship.
It's a parasitic industry fueled by social media.

I make this appeal to people who consider themselves students, and those who consider these gurus as peers.
I do not believe that the occult community benefits from this model of growth.

If you are a magician with something to say, write a book, teach people, do as you please; but if you start padding your income with "How to Do Magic" classes, I'm going to regard you as far, far less of a magician than if you weren't offering that. Those who can, do.

"You think everything should be free!"

No. I think people who teach practical magic - who would otherwise be unremarkable as magicians - should be regarded as suspicious at best and more likely as con-men.

"People pay to learn all sorts of things!"

In most fields of human activity, the activity is tangible and the teaching is demonstrable. Nothing like that exists for magic. From an objective point of view there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between who is totally full of crap and who is solid gold in the field of magic.

Sure, learn the history and whatnot, the literature, the tradition, and pay for your academic education in those things. I am not against paying for knowledge.

But occult practitioner gurus are different. They propose to teach something effective, useful, and something for which they profess competence that you could use. So does a martial arts instructor, music instructor, or dance instructor. Pay those people, and anyone can see that something real is being taught. That doesn't exist for magic teachings.

Nobody with better things to do is going to think it's worth their time to sell Zoom classes to goobers from the Internet and then babystep them through whatever they concocted as a babystepping program.

And realize I am not here saying that anything you might get from these gurus is bad or false, although some of it will be for sure. And if you have doubts, for sure, go ahead and pay, and you will see what I mean here. I think the majority of these functions will lead you down a dead-end path, something that was ultimately drafted as a product for sale. That tells you someone got a good sense of the literature and the market for it. But people who connect with real magic, and continue to do so, it rarely if ever comes out as something that could be packaged and sold on subscription, and when they share it with you they won't have a coupon code.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
109
Reaction score
75
Awards
1
I am here advocating for the total disregard of anybody involved in paid occult mentorship.
It's a parasitic industry fueled by social media.

I make this appeal to people who consider themselves students, and those who consider these gurus as peers.
I do not believe that the occult community benefits from this model of growth.

If you are a magician with something to say, write a book, teach people, do as you please; but if you start padding your income with "How to Do Magic" classes, I'm going to regard you as far, far less of a magician than if you weren't offering that. Those who can, do.

"You think everything should be free!"

No. I think people who teach practical magic - who would otherwise be unremarkable as magicians - should be regarded as suspicious at best and more likely as con-men.

"People pay to learn all sorts of things!"

In most fields of human activity, the activity is tangible and the teaching is demonstrable. Nothing like that exists for magic. From an objective point of view there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between who is totally full of crap and who is solid gold in the field of magic.

Sure, learn the history and whatnot, the literature, the tradition, and pay for your academic education in those things. I am not against paying for knowledge.

But occult practitioner gurus are different. They propose to teach something effective, useful, and something for which they profess competence that you could use. So does a martial arts instructor, music instructor, or dance instructor. Pay those people, and anyone can see that something real is being taught. That doesn't exist for magic teachings.

Nobody with better things to do is going to think it's worth their time to sell Zoom classes to goobers from the Internet and then babystep them through whatever they concocted as a babystepping program.

And realize I am not here saying that anything you might get from these gurus is bad or false, although some of it will be for sure. And if you have doubts, for sure, go ahead and pay, and you will see what I mean here. I think the majority of these functions will lead you down a dead-end path, something that was ultimately drafted as a product for sale. That tells you someone got a good sense of the literature and the market for it. But people who connect with real magic, and continue to do so, it rarely if ever comes out as something that could be packaged and sold on subscription, and when they share it with you they won't have a coupon code.
Mostly I agree. I tend to get irritated by the UFO "abductees" or various psychic ghost busters who spin out an income in this way. I believe there have been genuine UFO encounters but so many of the "abductees" or "contactees" or Bigfoot footage filmers come across as very fake. I believe mostly the genuine psychics often tend to be remote outsiders whose gifts cause them their share of unhappiness.
 

vargr23

Neophyte
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
15
I write books on magic. Years ago, someone tried to convince me to set up some sort of Quantum Sorcery Academy online. They couldn't understand why I didn't like the idea. Just not my thing.
 

Dyn Hysbys

Zealot
Joined
Mar 3, 2025
Messages
133
Reaction score
239
Awards
3
I write books on magic. Years ago, someone tried to convince me to set up some sort of Quantum Sorcery Academy online. They couldn't understand why I didn't like the idea. Just not my thing.
I assume people pay you for your books?
 

Zeeza

Visitor
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Messages
0
Reaction score
1
I am here advocating for the total disregard of anybody involved in paid occult mentorship.
It's a parasitic industry fueled by social media.

I make this appeal to people who consider themselves students, and those who consider these gurus as peers.
I do not believe that the occult community benefits from this model of growth.

If you are a magician with something to say, write a book, teach people, do as you please; but if you start padding your income with "How to Do Magic" classes, I'm going to regard you as far, far less of a magician than if you weren't offering that. Those who can, do.

"You think everything should be free!"

No. I think people who teach practical magic - who would otherwise be unremarkable as magicians - should be regarded as suspicious at best and more likely as con-men.

"People pay to learn all sorts of things!"

In most fields of human activity, the activity is tangible and the teaching is demonstrable. Nothing like that exists for magic. From an objective point of view there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between who is totally full of crap and who is solid gold in the field of magic.

Sure, learn the history and whatnot, the literature, the tradition, and pay for your academic education in those things. I am not against paying for knowledge.

But occult practitioner gurus are different. They propose to teach something effective, useful, and something for which they profess competence that you could use. So does a martial arts instructor, music instructor, or dance instructor. Pay those people, and anyone can see that something real is being taught. That doesn't exist for magic teachings.

Nobody with better things to do is going to think it's worth their time to sell Zoom classes to goobers from the Internet and then babystep them through whatever they concocted as a babystepping program.

And realize I am not here saying that anything you might get from these gurus is bad or false, although some of it will be for sure. And if you have doubts, for sure, go ahead and pay, and you will see what I mean here. I think the majority of these functions will lead you down a dead-end path, something that was ultimately drafted as a product for sale. That tells you someone got a good sense of the literature and the market for it. But people who connect with real magic, and continue to do so, it rarely if ever comes out as something that could be packaged and sold on subscription, and when they share it with you they won't have a coupon code.
My thoughts: when you go to the system education - you pay for the mundane knowledge with is based on "indoctrination method statements" to shape you into the being the system wants you to be and where it wants to place you for life long servitude in a capitalistic system which is build on "buy what you want to progress in life" (which to a certain extent is out of your hands). I feel when you look at magical knowledge which is in a sense not of this reality (and i am not talking of fakes) - and also a personal choice to seek a teacher to guide you into the knowledge or principles to enhance yourself on magical or spiritual level it should not be a paid service. If you attend some teaching which require you to purchase a book or material that in itself is payment enough for the teaching lessons. In conclusion maybe if you are not a book writer but teacher, donations is a possibility while all lessons is provided in PDF form form teacher to student and it is on the student to print or not to print.
 

Faria

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 23, 2024
Messages
323
Reaction score
633
Awards
5
it should not be a paid service.

I'm generally against e-mentoring of whatever type. A person who is willing to make time for you in their real life, and who isn't expecting a check, is probably going to be at least trying to provide you with something worthwhile, assuming they're not a creep. All the online pay-to-learn approaches have a "side hustle" vibe, which to me smacks of primarily commercial intent. Better to sit at the feet of a crazy person in a shack than send Venmo for Zoom lessons, it's a completely different level of personal concern.

Buy a book, and you have a tangible object in your hands. I am specifically here speaking against people who volunteer to be your personal guide for pay, and those who are obviously trying to make a buck by selling classes rather than making a buck by doing something useful with their magic. If they can teach you how to do something useful with your magic, so can they, and if the best they can come up with is teaching you, it's probably a good idea to look elsewhere.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
109
Reaction score
75
Awards
1
I am personally O.K. on writing paranormal based books that people can buy. What I oppose is the spin aspect that can latch onto the subject. People who may promote themselves as psychics or private exorsists but are basically the same as TV evangelists.
Recently, I thought about promoting a Latin course exclusively for serious occult students but, as I see it, this is merely a linguistic pursuit, not a lifestyle or cult promotion. When I started learning Latin, I had no major interest in the occult but then discovered how much really valuable material there is in Latin. Such as philosophies, divination, texts on magic stones. It seems to me too that the antiquated, slow, scholary way to.learn Latin is overly complicated and boring. Very serious enthusiasts should consider either Latin, Greek or even an ancient Semitic language. Overall, I think a sensible balance and avoidance of fakery.
There is a word in Latin almost unknown to academics or even serious students. The word is "unguentaria" we can translate as "quackery". This really existed in the Roman world. It promised health and total cures via the use of potions and mixtures, but seemed to do more harm than good. Just like today, people paid out money for these treatments and were enticed.
 

jakalsa

Visitor
Joined
Dec 28, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
4
I am here advocating for the total disregard of anybody involved in paid occult mentorship.
It's a parasitic industry fueled by social media.

I make this appeal to people who consider themselves students, and those who consider these gurus as peers.
I do not believe that the occult community benefits from this model of growth.

If you are a magician with something to say, write a book, teach people, do as you please; but if you start padding your income with "How to Do Magic" classes, I'm going to regard you as far, far less of a magician than if you weren't offering that. Those who can, do.

"You think everything should be free!"

No. I think people who teach practical magic - who would otherwise be unremarkable as magicians - should be regarded as suspicious at best and more likely as con-men.

"People pay to learn all sorts of things!"

In most fields of human activity, the activity is tangible and the teaching is demonstrable. Nothing like that exists for magic. From an objective point of view there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between who is totally full of crap and who is solid gold in the field of magic.

Sure, learn the history and whatnot, the literature, the tradition, and pay for your academic education in those things. I am not against paying for knowledge.

But occult practitioner gurus are different. They propose to teach something effective, useful, and something for which they profess competence that you could use. So does a martial arts instructor, music instructor, or dance instructor. Pay those people, and anyone can see that something real is being taught. That doesn't exist for magic teachings.

Nobody with better things to do is going to think it's worth their time to sell Zoom classes to goobers from the Internet and then babystep them through whatever they concocted as a babystepping program.

And realize I am not here saying that anything you might get from these gurus is bad or false, although some of it will be for sure. And if you have doubts, for sure, go ahead and pay, and you will see what I mean here. I think the majority of these functions will lead you down a dead-end path, something that was ultimately drafted as a product for sale. That tells you someone got a good sense of the literature and the market for it. But people who connect with real magic, and continue to do so, it rarely if ever comes out as something that could be packaged and sold on subscription, and when they share it with you they won't have a coupon code.
I think there is some merit to paying for very specific magical knowledge, such as the knowledge that you cannot find in books or that must be done orally and require the teacher to do many offering and take time out of their day to do. If a person has become so facetious to sell a class on basic love or prosperity or whosywhatsit magic then I say may they be struck down. But for books, and processes that require expensive and long-winded initiations, I think there is a bit of wiggle room.
 

Firetree

Disciple
Warned
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Messages
802
Reaction score
1,033
Awards
6
I never charged for anything like that , nor did I / do I charge for martial arts instruction . I have seen what happens ; the 'pure system' gets changed to appeal to those that will join up and pay money . It will 'adapt to the market' and eventually degenerate . And in both ( martial and magic ) they can well branch out to selling degrees and levels and fancy costumes , all 'required for success' . My teachers never charged me , so I carry on that tradition .
 

vargr23

Neophyte
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
15
I assume people pay you for your books?
Sometimes they do. I know that two of them are freely pirated. So it goes. It's not a terribly lucrative vocation, but that's not why I started writing in the first place.
 

shaysymbol

Visitor
Joined
Oct 10, 2026
Messages
0
Reaction score
0
I write books on magic. Years ago, someone tried to convince me to set up some sort of Quantum Sorcery Academy online. They couldn't understand why I didn't like the idea. Just not my thing.
Where can someone get your books?
 

Zelator2148

Zealot
Joined
Jul 18, 2026
Messages
116
Reaction score
156
Awards
2
Although my focus is now mostly divination and no longer magic as such, when I started my blog nine years ago I decided that all of the content would be offered to the occult community for free, and I currently have almost 2,900 examples of that gratis output. To be honest, a couple of years ago I did compile all of my posts up to that point into five ebooks to organize the material into topic-specific categories for ease of access and I sell them for cheap on Lulu, but the source material is still available (although widely scattered) for free on my blog site for anyone with the patience to dig for it. (This is stuff I've been working with since 1972, so I can claim some authority in its use.)
 

Faria

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 23, 2024
Messages
323
Reaction score
633
Awards
5
I did compile all of my posts up to that point into five ebooks to organize the material into topic-specific categories for ease of access and I sell them for cheap on Lulu
No non-occultist looks at this and sees fraud. You wrote stuff, you're selling it, people can buy it or not.

I'm here ranting against people who charge money to be your mentor, give you lessons, and reply to your emails, for a subscription fee, professing to teach you how to do something magical.
 

Frater M.M.

Zealot
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
152
Reaction score
232
Awards
2
I never charged for anything like that , nor did I / do I charge for martial arts instruction . I have seen what happens ; the 'pure system' gets changed to appeal to those that will join up and pay money . It will 'adapt to the market' and eventually degenerate . And in both ( martial and magic ) they can well branch out to selling degrees and levels and fancy costumes , all 'required for success' . My teachers never charged me , so I carry on that tradition .

Yeah, I can imagine. I think back to some of the salsa schools I used to attend. Some of them were appalling in terms of allowing ppl to jump levels because they were bored/too proud to learn basics/etc. or sometimes teaching completely impractical (for social dancing) moves in the advanced class almost just for the sake of doing something more complicated. I actually had a friend who ran a school once for a while which was a lot stricter/more practical and it collapsed because no one wanted to learn properly :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, there were a couple of schools that used to charge that were great but they tended to be cheap and just charged to cover the costs of hiring the halls and paying for equipment/teachers i.e. it was a labor of love.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
109
Reaction score
75
Awards
1
I'm not really at all into "magia" beyond historical interest, since Apuleius (whose writings I study) was accused of sorcery. Plus, he wrote "Metamorphosis" which addresses magic. Apuleius was also clued up on the Stoic philosophy system and I've found that to be very deep and useful to learn. There's a lot of writing on the elements and interpretation of lightning and clouds, as well as the nature of being. Anyway, evidently Apuleius had been a priest of Isis and probably a Magus but he eventually became a Neo Platonist. Ironically he did charge for lectures but it was all very sincere.
 
Top