- Joined
- Oct 2, 2026
- Messages
- 2
- Reaction score
- 2
From my practice, spirits (at least smaller local spirits I communicate with, but it feels it is the default) would prefer to communicate by using non-verbalizable thought concepts, because words of natural languages carry secondary and implied and personal meanings which distort what we want to convey to each other.
Partly it is a me problem (I can't abstract away from all those additional meanings w/o abstracting half the language itself), but partly it is a fundamental thing caused by how languages are developed.
(...and that's why I'm thinking of creating/channeling a conlang that is expressive enough for spirit communication.)
In practice currently I use my native language for spirit-talking, but with some archaic words reintroduced (to simplify expressing certain things) and I monitor/control what meanings of words I and the spirits use. Sometimes we shift into technical documentation English (that's my default English mode), though.
Also, the fact you use some language and not another may have meaning by itself.
Even discounting expressiveness, some spirits may appreciate your using languages of their time.
Partly it is a me problem (I can't abstract away from all those additional meanings w/o abstracting half the language itself), but partly it is a fundamental thing caused by how languages are developed.
(...and that's why I'm thinking of creating/channeling a conlang that is expressive enough for spirit communication.)
In practice currently I use my native language for spirit-talking, but with some archaic words reintroduced (to simplify expressing certain things) and I monitor/control what meanings of words I and the spirits use. Sometimes we shift into technical documentation English (that's my default English mode), though.
Also, the fact you use some language and not another may have meaning by itself.
Even discounting expressiveness, some spirits may appreciate your using languages of their time.