• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Does GOD(christian) really want me doing magick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry for this dumb question but im having some doubts since the bible states witchcraft is forbidden wich i was reminded of by a close friend

Ziran

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry for this dumb question but im having some doubts since the bible states witchcraft is forbidden wich i was reminded of by a close friend

It's really complicated. I could give you all sorts of scripture to defeat your friend's arguments, but, I highly doubt they're going to listen with an open mind.

If the question is: is the Christian God ok with magick?

The answer is: it depends on God's will.

In short: it depends. There is no simple answer here. There's rarely simple answers to life's important questions.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
You are faced with what we occultists call a (drum roll) "Choice" : go with what you were taught while still defenseless (what Webb calls the "social parasite"), or go with your interests and inclinations. Someone is always going to be second-guessing you. The healthy response is new friends. Or---for some stretches---none.

Gregorius

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
It's really complicated. I could give you all sorts of scripture to defeat your friend's arguments, but, I highly doubt they're going to listen with an open mind.

If the question is: is the Christian God ok with magick?

The answer is: it depends on God's will.

In short: it depends. There is no simple answer here. There's rarely simple answers to life's important questions.
its not really about defeating the argument i want to reasure myself

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It's really pointless to seek reassurance from a bunch of guys that is anything but mainstream Christian, atheist or even avowedly hostile to that faith. The Bible says this, the Bible says that, but most people here don't care what one of the many purportedly holy books says. The mavericks among the monotheists historically have been very creative and skillful in re-interpreting the tenets of their faiths in order to justify their egotistical deeds while mainstream believers would typically cry 'Foul!', "Blasphemy" or "Demons everywhere" and ostracize them (or worse).

Ditching one's faith on a purely intellectual level is easy but the emotional deconditioning is a hard task indeed... like @Jackson said, it's probably easier to take the Gnostic detour first if you want to become atheist or apatheist (= not caring about the whole god issue one way or another).

Morell

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I hear about Abrahamic God forbiting magic, it's usually about the tale of Saul in Old Testament. So first, it was that king, not the god who forbade it. Second is why did he forbade it.
In my interpretation it was because he had very low faith in God so he didn't believe that his faith would protect him from magic of witches that could his enemies pay to get rid of him, so he forbade magic in his realm. However he believed in power of witches, so when he was in trouble and wanted reassurance, he went to consult a which. That way he underlined his low faith with even breaking his own law and the information that he got was that because of his low faith he will die.
So the tale to me is not about magic being wrong, but about Saul not having real faith in god and in doing what he prohibited.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
No, it doesn't actually. Your friend is quoting a mistranslation of Leviticus where it should read 'Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live', mistranslated as 'Witch'. Sadly this is all too common - there are many bad translations.
Magic was literally demonized in the Mediaeval period. It used to be considered as the height of knowledge, based as it is on Mathematics, Natural Philosophy & Theology.

Morell

Apprentice
Reaction score
No, it doesn't actually. Your friend is quoting a mistranslation of Leviticus where it should read 'Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live', mistranslated as 'Witch'. Sadly this is all too common - there are many bad translations.
Magic was literally demonized in the Mediaeval period. It used to be considered as the height of knowledge, based as it is on Mathematics, Natural Philosophy & Theology.
Not surprising. Thanks for the correction.

Ziran

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards

Your wish is my command:

1) All of the prohibitions beginning around Exodus 10 and forward are only incumbent and legally binding on the house of Jacob, aka Jews. Are you Jewish? If not, none of those prohibitions apply.

2) Even if you were: Deuteronomy 10:12.

And now, O Israel, what does the Lord, your God, ask of you? Only to fear the Lord, your God, to walk in all His ways ( לָלֶ֤כֶת בְּכָל־דְּרָכָיו֙ ) and to love Him, and to worship the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul,​

לָלֶ֤כֶת בְּכָל־דְּרָכָיו֙ - to walk in ALL his ways ( plural ).

That's where Jewish Kabalists get our mandate to work our craft.

You're welcome. :cool:

Post automatically merged:

When I hear about Abrahamic God forbiting magic, it's usually about the tale of Saul in Old Testament.

This is the actual prohibition against Crowley's magick, which is applied in Jewish law:

Lev 18:3 -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
"You shall not do as they do in Egypt ... " But if the individual is not Jewish, none of that applies.

Christians like to include everyone in the category of "Israel" even though, that's not a legally binding arrangement. They, the Christians, have self-appointed themselves as "Israel". And from that, they intend to reap the rewards of the OT and they preach against things which are not actually prohibited to the Non-Jew. But that would never stand-up in any sort of divine justice system assuming something like that even exists.

Last edited:

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

Like @Taudefindi said, magic is so-called forbidden due to the amount of power knowledge has. And although I may ethically say that some people can't handle the power of such knowledge to use it in an ethical way, I still won't go church-like to say that all magic is bad.

It's just a control tactic that has been used since the Inquisition if not even earlier than we think.

You see, magic in its core is not bad, you just need to assure that you don't go up without ethical using of the craft (doing unjustified revenge workings, or breaking relationships for your ex to come back and multiple examples like this) and resort to the forces of destruction only when needed to keep the Universal balance alive. After all we have the Yin-Yang (Male and Female, Positive and Negative paths of energy).

Magic in my opinion is for us to create and prosper, and in some cases in the benefit of others. It is The Universe's Will and God's will to practice magic.

Would you be interested in the occult if it wasn't God's will for you to be interested in occult subjects, after all?

One thing you shall know is that Abraham's studies, knowledge, documents etc are full of occult subjects. From the "mere numbers" that you are reading when you cite a certain Bible verse to some of the Psalm's connections with a specific Angel, all is tied to the occult, and place of interest to study it is Angelology, in this case.

It was revealed in the Antediluvian period of the Bible that Enoch had the magical connection with God to be taken, while still alive, to the Heavens. And this is just one of the myriad of examples of how, tied to a specific belief, magic can prosper even more.

Don't be discouraged due to the current propaganda of the corrupt church control system.

What I want to add here as a conclusion to this message is that magic, if used as a beacon to your progress and not a gun oriented towards you, will make you succeed in your Divine mission, whatever that mission is.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
To finally kick my brain into gear; my research shows that magic is an edge condition of normal human consciousness. Like an exploit in a video game, if you will. It was part of the design, but most people don't expect to use it like that.

And if you believe in God, then God must have put that part of the design in on purpose. And as someone said, magic is neither good nor evil. Like any tool, it is the uses to which it is put that are good or evil.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
To finally kick my brain into gear; my research shows that magic is an edge condition of normal human consciousness. Like an exploit in a video game, if you will. It was part of the design, but most people don't expect to use it like that.

And if you believe in God, then God must have put that part of the design in on purpose. And as someone said, magic is neither good nor evil. Like any tool, it is the uses to which it is put that are good or evil.
So you are saying that anyone can learn magick?

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
That wasn't the exact point of that post, but yes, absolutely doodly doo.
It is interesting because from the viewpoint I'm observing it feels to be different emotional power levels which in turn ignite the magick. The more powerful the experience the better the results etc. But then again when you have emotional equilibrium things tend to tone down and you don't need those explosions of magick.

Status
Not open for further replies.