• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Dreams, the subconscious and the unconscious

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
We all dream, even if we are unaware of it. When we dont remember our dreams, there can be several variables (waiting too long to record them, getting up multiple times in the night, getting interrupted recording them, etc) for forgetting them, but Donald Kraig in Modern Magick stated to record in your dream diary when details were not in your mind as "I chose to not remember my dreams".
Recently Ive been going backward through my journal, and transcribing them in a physical three year journal, also noting what events were occurring physically, weather conditions, sun and moon phases, and tarot cards pulled for the day.
It's been creating weird dreams that correspond to physical issues lately, and been sort of a "year in review" for me even going back to September at most.

Has anyone else done this method of back-logging dreams and then getting strange dreams from the subconscious or unconscious?

Meant to post this in psychology, dreams, or journals, but it seemed so general I tagged General Occult Discussion with the sub tag opinion.
My apologies for posting in the wrong discussion forum group.

byte007

Apprentice
Reaction score
We all dream, even if we are unaware of it. When we dont remember our dreams, there can be several variables (waiting too long to record them, getting up multiple times in the night, getting interrupted recording them, etc) for forgetting them, but Donald Kraig in Modern Magick stated to record in your dream diary when details were not in your mind as "I chose to not remember my dreams".
Recently Ive been going backward through my journal, and transcribing them in a physical three year journal, also noting what events were occurring physically, weather conditions, sun and moon phases, and tarot cards pulled for the day.
It's been creating weird dreams that correspond to physical issues lately, and been sort of a "year in review" for me even going back to September at most.

Has anyone else done this method of back-logging dreams and then getting strange dreams from the subconscious or unconscious?

Meant to post this in psychology, dreams, or journals, but it seemed so general I tagged General Occult Discussion with the sub tag opinion.
My apologies for posting in the wrong discussion forum group.
I have never kept a journal and I have found through my life that I rarely remember my dreams. When I was a child, I had recurring nightmares and honestly a dream that was not a nightmare was uncommon. I had a content childhood, definitely some adversity but fortunately very little traumas.

In my adult life I also have mainly nightmares. I think that people who often have nightmares need it to learn to face fear for their path. The more we face situations of fear, the better we deal with it. I read somewhere once years ago (when I was not even thinking about dreams) that people who have constant nightmares tend to have an easier time overcoming fear but I have no way of knowing of course if it is true. I have found in my case it seems to make sense but I don't know about statistically in the population of course...

That is interesting that you are finding a correlation to a degree with the physical and the dreams. Everything is connected so I think there could def be something there. Then you get into the "double slit" experiment factor of the observer. Since you are aware and looking at the patterns, do you think it may influence the dreams? Sounds possible to me for sure.

The interesting thing about the subconscious is that most are not aware on that level. I think that once you are aware of the subconscious and you make a routine of being very aware of yourself as well as your surroundings, the subconscious becomes much less and the conscious mind much more so to speak. The unconscious I think would be the aspects we can't be aware of such as the body functioning without thought about it (heart beating, system function...ect) I know Freud believes all kinds of stuff about repression and the unconscious but I don't know why he believed it. I am curious. If our thoughts were not from "our" consciousness alone but the Source gave us the thoughts, would that mean the more aware we are (less subconscious, more conscious) the more choice we may have if we indeed have choice?

I have found in observation that many people seem to run on auto pilot (more subconscious) much more than others. For example, people that are less aware I find have poor memory of details and they fall prey to confirmation memory often. They have no awareness of the expression on their face and body language. I know this is most likely the norm but by being so unaware it makes you wonder if choice is effected possibly.

We have all had times we were deep in thought about something driving somewhere, we know the roads well and we don't remember getting there. Our subconscious was like on auto pilot, while our conscious mind was checked out of those tasks as focus is elsewhere. We were not really consciously aware like the beating of the heart, so we are not consciously choosing the turns on the road. I just wonder if the subconscious can make a choice or is the choice made for us as we are not exerting consciousness? Made me think down the rabbit hole...lol

Reaction score
Awards
I hardly remember my dreams. Right when I wake up. It's like The Universe, don't want me to remember.
Yeah, there are a few ways to go about it.
Caffeine doesn't really affect me dream wise, but can block dream recall.
Major life stressors will trigger odd dreams.
Keep a pen and notebook next to your pillow, write on a piece of paper "I will remember my dreams", crumble the paper.and toss it within eyeshot as a mental note to remember.
Always write down dream details when you wake from one. Within 3 to 5 minutes on average details get fuzzier and fuzzier.
Journal your oobe experiences as you would with dreams.
Record them in your online journal as well.
By reviewing past dreams it tends to trigger new dreams.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, there are a few ways to go about it.
Caffeine doesn't really affect me dream wise, but can block dream recall.
Major life stressors will trigger odd dreams.
Keep a pen and notebook next to your pillow, write on a piece of paper "I will remember my dreams", crumble the paper.and toss it within eyeshot as a mental note to remember.
Always write down dream details when you wake from one. Within 3 to 5 minutes on average details get fuzzier and fuzzier.
Journal your oobe experiences as you would with dreams.
Record them in your online journal as well.
By reviewing past dreams it tends to trigger new dreams.
I have a dream Journal by the side of my bed. However, by the time I reach for it. My dreams are gone. And, I feel like my Soul is on hold at the moment. Meaning, it keeps me from having an OBE. Even though, I do it each night. It's my awareness that is off.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i once had a dream about apep, it took me 10 years to recover from that.
Would you like to tell us about Apep/Apopis?
Post automatically merged:

In my adult life I also have mainly nightmares.
There are many that are regularly abducted by aliens and human military with any memory appearing like a nightmare.

" Even though it was three in the morning. This woman was witnessed floating with the three aliens—below the UFO, 12 stories up—by a number of different people, who I have heard from. One of the people who I interviewed at great length, described her absolute terror when she saw this sight from the Brooklyn Bridge."

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Reaction score
Awards
You could also try the Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram to banish Saturn and invoke Luna. Banish Luna after waking and recording dreams

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
@Lemongrass00 might have some ideas, or @Vandheer ... It could be the depression or anxiety that comes with the territory of the Dark Night of the Soul process.
Unfortunately I am out of my depth here. When I was journaling I had to deal with a really creepy, recuring pattern. Pattern is selling it short.

You see, I always woke up in my house in this dream. Back then I was pretty lucid, and this dream had this "something is off" vibe, always. You know whats even weirder? These dreams were inside of each other, straight up a mix of that P.T. demo and Inception movie. There were even many times I would think "aha this is not a dream I woke up", just to figure out I am still dreaming. This would happen like 5-10 times until I would wake up. Every. Single. Time.

Makes you ask: Am I still dreaming?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

Logging your dreams and then transcribing them to a book, like you are doing, is in itself a symbol you are sending to your unconsciousness, that dreams are important, and can prompt more dreams relating to current issues you’re having.

You might even experience reoccurring dreams or ones of similar nature in the future, since your subconscious can repeat personal dream symbols that you are familiar with.

Learning your own correspondences will be a huge advantage, if you put in the work, in not only interpreting current dreams, but also for any other occult practice in the future.

Reaction score
Awards
@Konsciencia ... Even if you can't recall, do a short dream off the top of your head by imagination, and record it in the journal, using the advice Lemongrass added.

I knew I should have started my correspondence table sooner.

I tell you, I've had some bizarre dreams.

One thing that helps about being a nicotine pouch user (not advising to take up the pattern) is that using a pouch occasionally as I laid down to sleep after a few nights of going without, it brought up really bizarre dreams.

Oh ... Pay attention to the surroundings or dreamscape in your dreams. Highly informative and symbolic.

I have never kept a journal and I have found through my life that I rarely remember my dreams. When I was a child, I had recurring nightmares and honestly a dream that was not a nightmare was uncommon. I had a content childhood, definitely some adversity but fortunately very little traumas.
Feel free to use the suggestions given on remembering dreams, didn't mean to exclude you. My childhood was pretty content as well, but I had extreme nightmares at times, usually triggered by old 80s movies and something in or around the house reminding me of the movie, such as my ventriloquist doll at the foot of the bed staring at me when I went to sleep after seeing Poltergeist.

In my adult life I also have mainly nightmares. I think that people who often have nightmares need it to learn to face fear for their path. The more we face situations of fear, the better we deal with it. I read somewhere once years ago (when I was not even thinking about dreams) that people who have constant nightmares tend to have an easier time overcoming fear but I have no way of knowing of course if it is true. I have found in my case it seems to make sense but I don't know about statistically in the population of course...
What's interesting here is that height or depth are a big part of my dreams tuat are bizarre, but usually more bizarre dreams are symbolic of past traumas or general life stressors.
That is interesting that you are finding a correlation to a degree with the physical and the dreams. Everything is connected so I think there could def be something there. Then you get into the "double slit" experiment factor of the observer. Since you are aware and looking at the patterns, do you think it may influence the dreams? Sounds possible to me for sure.
Totally positive. Old dreamscapes were areas I walked past but never hung out at in my distant past.

The interesting thing about the subconscious is that most are not aware on that level. I think that once you are aware of the subconscious and you make a routine of being very aware of yourself as well as your surroundings, the subconscious becomes much less and the conscious mind much more so to speak. The unconscious I think would be the aspects we can't be aware of such as the body functioning without thought about it (heart beating, system function...ect) I know Freud believes all kinds of stuff about repression and the unconscious but I don't know why he believed it. I am curious. If our thoughts were not from "our" consciousness alone but the Source gave us the thoughts, would that mean the more aware we are (less subconscious, more conscious) the more choice we may have if we indeed have choice?
This is one a will have to think about. I think the major thing is that the id, unconscious and shadow self are one and the same.
I have found in observation that many people seem to run on auto pilot (more subconscious) much more than others. For example, people that are less aware I find have poor memory of details and they fall prey to confirmation memory often. They have no awareness of the expression on their face and body language. I know this is most likely the norm but by being so unaware it makes you wonder if choice is effected possibly.
Due to technology, poorer food and air and water quality, it has made us fairly unaware.
We have all had times we were deep in thought about something driving somewhere, we know the roads well and we don't remember getting there. Our subconscious was like on auto pilot, while our conscious mind was checked out of those tasks as focus is elsewhere. We were not really consciously aware like the beating of the heart, so we are not consciously choosing the turns on the road. I just wonder if the subconscious can make a choice or is the choice made for us as we are not exerting consciousness? Made me think down the rabbit hole...lol
Rabbit holes .. reminds me of a literal national treasure type rabbit hole with a white rabbit of an anthropology teacher in the dream.

Last edited:

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I laid down to sleep after a few nights of going without, it brought up really bizarre dreams.
Yeah, this is the same with me for weed, nicotine and weed suppress REM stage sleep, where dreaming is most prevalent

after quitting for a few days you get a REM rebound effect where now you have more REM than average for that night, leading to a larger window of opportunity for dreaming.

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, I haven't smoked pot since Mid October to late October and found I dreamed a lot more. You don't necessarily have to quit THC or Nicotine, just take an occasional break. And journal every day.

One thing Ive had recently are sexual dreams. I feel conflicted for personal reasons. I know its neurotic, but for good reason.

Last edited:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So I almost never remember my dreams - maybe once every two months

But then I tried a practice to change that, and it's actually almost embarrassing how quickly it worked. Like, within 1-2 weeks. At first just whispy traces and then fully formed scenes. After 38 years of never remembering. Ridiculous.

It's pretty much an amalgam of what others have said, but I'll write it out with explanatory notes, because I really did go from practically zero to practically nightly.

1. Keep index cards or scraps of paper next to bed. The reason you use cards/papers not a book is so you can throw away any dream that's embarrassing. If you think there'll be a findable record of an embarassing dream, you'll hesitate to write it out, and you MUST write it out

Immediately before you go to sleep, write down "I remember my dreams" on the card/paper. This is just because whatever you think about immediately before sleep often comes into your head when you wake up.

The moment you wake up - really, as instantaneously as you wake up - write down anything you can remember about your dream

"But I never have any dreams" - yep so this is the key difference between this and typical dream journal advice. You immediately write down whatever you can remember, which might be "I don't remember anything" or "I think it was cold?" or "maybe Jack was there?" or "something about runes except maybe that wasn't a dream, it was just the podcast I listened to yesterday". You don't need to make anything up, you can write "I don't remember anything " again and again (so long as you've strained to try and remember and there's nothing there)

As others have said, what you are doing is training your brain to understand that this is information you care about. It is ACTIONABLE information. Any data that you immediately take a physical action in response to will be registered as important. (That's why it's better to write it on paper than in your phone)

(You can use this in reverse to tune out annoying sounds. Never react physically or emotionally and your brain eventually decides you don't care about that noise and filters it out of your conscious awareness)

You have to do it every day though.

It's actually a harder ask than it might sound, because it means you have to jolt out of that warm happy drifty half-awake state, so the cost is fairly high, and the benefits fairly low (especially at first before you see any results). The vast majority of my dreams are rehashes of daily events and don't really add any value to my life.

But I figure it's important to keep the channel open so a message CAN get through when the time comes.

I'll put this in tutorials actually