• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Escape the metaverse... πŸ˜‚

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Lmao, not a fan of this metaverse shit.

rth45U7h.jpg

😀

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is cool. What are you using, Gimp/Photoshop?
For almost every artwork I produce, I use both of the following: Photoshop + After Effects. Photoshop mostly because I'm used to it. After Effects because there is absolutely nothing like it out there if you include the plugin ecosystem.

Beyond that, I sometimes use Max 8 by Cycling '74, TouchDesigner, C4D or Processing, usually with slightly modifying someone elses project/code to achieve what I want.

Absolute last resort if I really need to achieve something specific that I can't find a tool for, I'll code something up myself in Python, Processing, or just open the image in Audacity or Notepad and glitch it myself.

For this particular piece, I used: Photoshop, After Effects, and a custom tool implemented in Max 8.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Nice. I used to do a lot in Photoshop, C4d, Vue and stuff like that, but it's been awhile. I miss C4d and Vue. I might have to get back into them.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Nice. I used to do a lot in Photoshop, C4d, Vue and stuff like that, but it's been awhile. I miss C4d and Vue. I might have to get back into them.
Yeah I used to be huge into C4D... until one day, I wanted X-Particles, and couldn't afford it... so got kinda mad with the whole C4D ecosystem and ditched my 3D work altogether.

If I was to get into 3D now though, I'd for sure learn Unreal 5. It's absolutely insane for realism.

One day, when I can afford C4D, Octane, Redshift AND X-Particles... I might play around with C4D cause it's what I'm most familiar with and it's super easy to get results quickly which is what I strive for.

But yeah, digital art is pretty much my biggest hobby after WF. It's just creatively quite draining especially after work, looking after WF and my other projects, it's rare to find that creativity and inspiration I need to create a nice piece of artwork. It was much easier when I did it for money (used to do album art comissions).

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Shit, nice work! Yeah, I honestly don't see a lot of people buying into the metaverse shit too soon. Either it's just gonna be something corporate workplaces try and force their employees to use due to COVID, or otherwise something few people don't find cringey. Unless they do a loooooot of PR campaigning to try and force it into the mainstream, it seems the general consensus is that it feels too awkwardly pushed/dystopian. We've all seen Ready Player One, and even the most hardcore Facebook boomers wouldn't exactly trust anything Mark Zuckerberg says.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
open the image in Audacity
What? I understand what you mean but I hadn't thought of altering images like that (not even sure if I could do it)
I assume it will take a lot of saving and reopening / switching between programs to see if you liked what you changed.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
What? I understand what you mean but I hadn't thought of altering images like that (not even sure if I could do it)
I assume it will take a lot of saving and reopening / switching between programs to see if you liked what you changed.
It was one of the first methods of glitch art that I learned!

https://www.reddit.com/r/glitch_art/comments/idvyal
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Here's some good tutorials, it can be really fun!

Yup, but once you get used to the workflow it's not that bad really πŸ˜…

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Will give this a try this weekend, see how much I can fck up my art that I worked so hard on.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
If you guys try this out be sure to share your creations! :D

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
It's kinda neat. Very fiddly, tho. The original image was a fractal done in JWildfire. Then in Audacity, used a few filters.
test20-9.jpg

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It's kinda neat. Very fiddly, tho. The original image was a fractal done in JWildfire. Then in Audacity, used a few filters.
Yeah, but it's such a good way to sort of learn the art of glitching. I started off opening images in notepad and glitching them manually by editing the RGB values. Different formats give different results due to different compression methods. Next I moved to Audacity, and tried glitching using the filters. Obviously both of these methods are quite unpredictable and fiddly and time consuming, but it sort of gave me the base knowledge and understanding of the file formats and the math behind the filters for me to then go and code the specific things I liked to see in Processing, and when you're coding it yourself, it becomes very easy to streamline the saving and adjusting methods so it becomes much less fiddly!

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, but it's such a good way to sort of learn the art of glitching. I started off opening images in notepad and glitching them manually by editing the RGB values. Different formats give different results due to different compression methods. Next I moved to Audacity, and tried glitching using the filters. Obviously both of these methods are quite unpredictable and fiddly and time consuming, but it sort of gave me the base knowledge and understanding of the file formats and the math behind the filters for me to then go and code the specific things I liked to see in Processing, and when you're coding it yourself, it becomes very easy to streamline the saving and adjusting methods so it becomes much less fiddly!
That's seriously hard code, manually editing the image files. This does give some really interesting effects once you figure out what filters work and what sort of numbers you need to get the right effect. I wonder what else could be used here... hmm...

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
That's seriously hard code, manually editing the image files. This does give some really interesting effects once you figure out what filters work and what sort of numbers you need to get the right effect. I wonder what else could be used here... hmm...
Ya, that should've said "hard core". Damn autocorrect. Damn autocorrect straight to the abyss.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm trying it at the moment but can't seem to open the file after saving it. Will have to take another look in the weekend.

This "converting" of an image to sound is actually pretty cool already though.
You could make a TIFF file of a seal / sigil, convert it to static noise and play that on repeat when meditating or preparing for a ritual πŸ€”

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I'm trying it at the moment but can't seem to open the file after saving it. Will have to take another look in the weekend.

You could make a TIFF file of a seal / sigil, convert it to static noise and play that on repeat when meditating or preparing for a ritual πŸ€”
So, the trick here is you have to select most of the file in Audacity, but leave a second (or few, depending on file size) in the beginning and end not selected so the header doesn't get corrupted. This is kind of a pain in the ass. What I ended up doing was importing an image, hitting control-a to select all and then at the bottom of the Audacity screen there's a counter for the "Start and End of Selection", which will start at 00h00m00.000s and end at however long the image is.

In select start section, add 1 second (so make it 00h00m01.000s) and in the end section subtract 1 second (if length was 00h02m21.062s, change it to 00h0220.062s, subtract 1 second). That usually does it. You can get more granular because depending on the file size, it may leave a bar of unchanged image at the top and bottom, which means you would need less than 1 second.

Also, you can import and export in either Ulaw or Alaw. Doesn't matter which you choose (at least with a bmp), but you need to save it as the same format.

Seems to be the 2 biggest issues leading to the exported image not working. Usually it's because the header got accidentally nuked (at least partially).

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
When working with uncompressed files it's extremely mundane. At the end of the day, uncompressed files are just a list of pixels, so editing them manually is basically just pixel art. But doing math on them definitely yields some interesting results. But that's basically easier to do using filters or code anyway... so manually text editing uncompressed images is basically just the first step of understanding the process.

Text editing compressed files however, does get interesting, and you can see some cool results, especially with PNGs. Problem is due to the nature of compression, the results of the same edits do not replicate across multiple different files.

You could make a TIFF file of a seal / sigil, convert it to static noise and play that on repeat when meditating or preparing for a ritual
Yeah, people actually do this. You can take it one step deeper by looking into spectrography.

For instance, you could do:
  1. Convert an image to sound
  2. Take that sound, and get it's spectrogram (which is an image)
  3. Encode another sigil in the spectrogram
  4. Convert the spectrogram into a sound again
  5. Convert that sound into an image again
The possibilities are endless for Chaos magick.

So, the trick here is you have to select most of the file in Audacity, but leave a second (or few, depending on file size) in the beginning and end not selected so the header doesn't get corrupted. This is kind of a pain in the ass. What I ended up doing was importing an image, hitting control-a to select all and then at the bottom of the Audacity screen there's a counter for the "Start and End of Selection", which will start at 00h00m00.000s and end at however long the image is.

In select start section, add 1 second (so make it 00h00m01.000s) and in the end section subtract 1 second (if length was 00h02m21.062s, change it to 00h0220.062s, subtract 1 second). That usually does it. You can get more granular because depending on the file size, it may leave a bar of unchanged image at the top and bottom, which means you would need less than 1 second.

Also, you can import and export in either Ulaw or Alaw. Doesn't matter which you choose (at least with a bmp), but you need to save it as the same format.

Seems to be the 2 biggest issues leading to the exported image not working. Usually it's because the header got accidentally nuked (at least partially).
Incogs answer should help you.

Basically, unless you are using raw, headerless, uncompressed image formats, you need to avoid the following:
  • Damaging the headers, which tells software how to open the image correctly
  • Changing the file size too much, or filling in too much non-image-encoded junk
  • Changing so much that it is impossible to render/uncompress at all
That's why I generally do things via code now... easier to identify and exclude headers, wordlists etc. But also harder and more time consuming to implement more advanced glitch algorithms/"filters".

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards

I just tried that with the seal for Paimon and it was seriously weird:

https://soundcloud.com/user-830161545%2Fpaimon%2Fs-uBrGhYGEMpw