• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Essential Left Hand Path texts?

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks guys, I have already read Lords of LHP, but thats pretty much the only one I have read on the matter

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I see we never got a copy of that book in the library. If someone wants it in the library, just open a request thread. (Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path by Don Webb)

Reaction score
Awards
I've had issues with regaining access to both meta and imgur. I hope to get on my laptop sometime this week, and try to resolve them.
I have both the books I listed.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Liber falxifer series, actually anything from ixaxaar.
Asetian bible and other asetian works.
Several o9a sites have there pdfs open and for free.
MLO used to have good info on their site.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Thomas Karlsson - Qabalah, Qlippoth and Goetic Magick.
This was a good read, I really liked it at the time.

Not my thing so I'll just leave this here (a direct link to reddit should be ok, I think).

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeftHandPath/comments/vdrreb
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Thanks champ, you always deliver. All librarians do excellent work on the forum.

I have Don Webbs pdf somehwere, I remember starting it but never got saw it all the way.

I can pass O9A, trust me it would make top two on my most read tradition 🙂

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
That depends how "Left Hand Path" is defined. Increasingly and especially on the internet, practices which really have no substance behind them are called "Left Hand Path" because the practitioners just like the sound of those words and the history behind them. When the symbols are stripped away, what is usually going on is something that is closer to the RHP or else a kind of fantasy game without a clear objective driving it (usually a lot of immature drama and "rivalries" though).

This has happened because, in the last twenty years, the term "Left Hand Path" has become unmoored from the Eastern tantrism and Western Satanism with which it was once associated. In those contexts, it had internally coherent definitions; the Left Hand Path was about reversing the flow of universal energy in the Eastern approach and it was about individuation to the point of self-sovereignty in the Western approach. There is some crossover between these approaches.

Nothing replaces experience and a living encounter with someone further down the road so that certain qualities can be apprehended in a way which empowers those same qualities within the initiate. With that caveat, these are the books which I would say give the best overview of what's really going on in the Western Left Hand Path:
  • Lords of the Left-Hand Path: A History of Spiritual Dissent by Stephen E. Flowers
  • The Basic Writings of Nietzsche and The Portable Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche (trans. by Walter Kauffmann) and Nietzsche: An Introduction to the Understanding of His Philosophical Activity by Karl Jaspers
  • The Gurdjieff Work by Kathleen Riordan Speeth
  • The Psychology of Man’s Possible Evolution by Peter D. Ouspensky
  • Living Thelema by David Shoemaker
  • Energy Magick of the Vampyre by Don Webb
  • Aletheia (3 vols.) by Tapio Kotkavuori
Nietzsche is the key to everything. The distinction between the unblinking cosmos and the Master's psyche, and What the Master's psyche can transform into through self-overcoming, is the philosophical basis of the entire Western Left Hand Path. Crowley translated the "Prophet" Nietzsche ("Prophet" wasn't a title Crowley threw around lightly) through the lens of Victorian magic and orientalism. The best introduction to Thelema is Shoemaker's book. Gurdjieff recognised that "day-to-day" consciousness is the product of external environment and that war had to be declared on this robotic thinking if the Master were to surface. Ouspensky's short book is the best introduction to Gurdjieff and Speeth's book directly applies the Work. Flowers is good for an overview of the Left Hand Path by looking at the way it's surfaced in history. Vampyre is Webb's best book and shows how the Words of the Temple of Set are keys to power in one's own life. It could be substituted with the ONA's NAOS (original only, not one of the bastardised versions) if preferred. Aletheia is a memoir of a life spent inside one Left Hand Path school. It shows the relationship between theory and reality.

I'd also suggest two novels and one film. One is Oscar Wilde's aesthete novel The Picture of Dorian Gray which communicates everything noble in LaVey's movement but with far greater beauty (read Wilde's De Profundis if you want to see where it can all lead without something greater than chasing highs). The second novel is Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End which depicts the racial memory of a being that empowers magic in some and madness in others. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the loose film adaptation of this same idea and considers the weirdness of human intelligence and why it should have arisen at all.

After all of that, if you want further reading, these are cultural specific lenses and other areas of investigation:
  • Northern Magic by Edred Thorsson
  • Aghora: At the Left Hand of God by Robert E. Svoboda
  • The Yoga of Power by Julius Evola
  • Metapolitics by Peter Viereck
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley by Lon Milo Duquette
  • Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom by Erynn Rowan Laurie
  • On Becoming an Alchemist by Catherine MacCoun
  • A Secret History of Consciousness by Gary Lachman

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
That depends how "Left Hand Path" is defined. Increasingly and especially on the internet, practices which really have no substance behind them are called "Left Hand Path" because the practitioners just like the sound of those words and the history behind them. When the symbols are stripped away, what is usually going on is something that is closer to the RHP or else a kind of fantasy game without a clear objective driving it (usually a lot of immature drama and "rivalries" though).

This has happened because, in the last twenty years, the term "Left Hand Path" has become unmoored from the Eastern tantrism and Western Satanism with which it was once associated. In those contexts, it had internally coherent definitions; the Left Hand Path was about reversing the flow of universal energy in the Eastern approach and it was about individuation to the point of self-sovereignty in the Western approach. There is some crossover between these approaches.

Nothing replaces experience and a living encounter with someone further down the road so that certain qualities can be apprehended in a way which empowers those same qualities within the initiate. With that caveat, these are the books which I would say give the best overview of what's really going on in the Western Left Hand Path:
  • Lords of the Left-Hand Path: A History of Spiritual Dissent by Stephen E. Flowers
  • The Basic Writings of Nietzsche and The Portable Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche (trans. by Walter Kauffmann) and Nietzsche: An Introduction to the Understanding of His Philosophical Activity by Karl Jaspers
  • The Gurdjieff Work by Kathleen Riordan Speeth
  • The Psychology of Man’s Possible Evolution by Peter D. Ouspensky
  • Living Thelema by David Shoemaker
  • Energy Magick of the Vampyre by Don Webb
  • Aletheia (3 vols.) by Tapio Kotkavuori
Nietzsche is the key to everything. The distinction between the unblinking cosmos and the Master's psyche, and What the Master's psyche can transform into through self-overcoming, is the philosophical basis of the entire Western Left Hand Path. Crowley translated the "Prophet" Nietzsche ("Prophet" wasn't a title Crowley threw around lightly) through the lens of Victorian magic and orientalism. The best introduction to Thelema is Shoemaker's book. Gurdjieff recognised that "day-to-day" consciousness is the product of external environment and that war had to be declared on this robotic thinking if the Master were to surface. Ouspensky's short book is the best introduction to Gurdjieff and Speeth's book directly applies the Work. Flowers is good for an overview of the Left Hand Path by looking at the way it's surfaced in history. Vampyre is Webb's best book and shows how the Words of the Temple of Set are keys to power in one's own life. It could be substituted with the ONA's NAOS (original only, not one of the bastardised versions) if preferred. Aletheia is a memoir of a life spent inside one Left Hand Path school. It shows the relationship between theory and reality.

I'd also suggest two novels and one film. One is Oscar Wilde's aesthete novel The Picture of Dorian Gray which communicates everything noble in LaVey's movement but with far greater beauty (read Wilde's De Profundis if you want to see where it can all lead without something greater than chasing highs). The second novel is Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End which depicts the racial memory of a being that empowers magic in some and madness in others. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the loose film adaptation of this same idea and considers the weirdness of human intelligence and why it should have arisen at all.

After all of that, if you want further reading, these are cultural specific lenses and other areas of investigation:
  • Northern Magic by Edred Thorsson
  • Aghora: At the Left Hand of God by Robert E. Svoboda
  • The Yoga of Power by Julius Evola
  • Metapolitics by Peter Viereck
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley by Lon Milo Duquette
  • Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom by Erynn Rowan Laurie
  • On Becoming an Alchemist by Catherine MacCoun
  • A Secret History of Consciousness by Gary Lachman
I had thought I was well read. I see now there be gaps in my mental boilerplate.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I had thought I was well read. I see now there be gaps in my mental boilerplate.
I get the sense that you're Working hard so you'll have probably encountered any "gaps" in the wild under a different name. Still, it does help to get a handle on things by "naming the demon" and words can help to frame experiences.

Reaction score
Awards
I never knew that many existed besides Karlsson, Ford, and the Order of Nine Angles.