• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Etteilla Tarot

flori

Visitor
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well! While I was researching about RWS and the Thoth Tarot I came across the Etteilla Tarot. I find it very interesting, and I was wondering if any of you use it or have used it? What are your thoughts and experience with it? Also have you read Etteilla´s books about it? Thank you!
 

frater_pan

Zealot
Joined
Mar 31, 2025
Messages
124
Reaction score
157
Awards
2
I haven't delved into the Etteilla Tarot yet nor his works. I have been focused on Tarot before Etteilla though, the Visconti-Sforza Tarot, the Sola Busca Tarot, the Marseilles Tarot and others all from the late 14th-16th century. However it is claimed that these were all pre-divinatory card decks (even though there was a text that explicitly taught divination using ordinary cards as they existed at the time published around the 15th century). There is an actual divinatory tarot deck just prior to Etteilla -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
- which Robert Place reconstructed thee years ago. Although I do use other decks for divination, in a way I'm working my way to to the Etteilla Tarot.
 

flori

Visitor
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
I haven't delved into the Etteilla Tarot yet nor his works. I have been focused on Tarot before Etteilla though, the Visconti-Sforza Tarot, the Sola Busca Tarot, the Marseilles Tarot and others all from the late 14th-16th century. However it is claimed that these were all pre-divinatory card decks (even though there was a text that explicitly taught divination using ordinary cards as they existed at the time published around the 15th century). There is an actual divinatory tarot deck just prior to Etteilla -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
- which Robert Place reconstructed thee years ago. Although I do use other decks for divination, in a way I'm working my way to to the Etteilla Tarot.
This is so interesting, thank you for sharing! I haven't heard about that deck, I'll definetly check it out.
When you get to the Etteilla Tarot I recommend reading
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, she does an amazing job giving an extensive introduction, presenting the different versions and her own recreation of it.
 
Top