• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Failed crystal

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I've been trying to grow crystals about a month now. Made three separate containers with vinegar, salt, hydrogen peroxyde and copper.

One I turned to copper salt by evaporating the liquid.
One I have left pretty much to do its own thing, the liquid is a very nice blue.

The third (had no hydrogen peroxide) I applied electricity to, and attached a nail to one of the electrodes. Let that run for a while, removed the metal and then added the hydrogen peroxide which turned the liquid black.
Then I added the copper salts from the other batch, let them dissolve and then evaporated the liquid.
I looked at it just now and it looks like there's some vegetation growing on the salt, almost like little trees. It's probably some resilient fungus (growing on salt, copper oxide and rust.)

It's not what I intended but I think this process could become a basis for a sort of spell. A salty one 😂 Got any suggestions?

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I completely forgot how fun it is to grow crystals at home. Haven't done that in ages. Very cool.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It's hard to say from just the picture, but those green things look more like crystal formations than fungus or moss.

You probably already know this, but for bigger crystals, the temperature change must be as slow and gradual as possible, and there should be some kind of "anchor" point for the crystal to grow from.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Probably precipitated copper oxide
Yeah well, i dropped out of high school at 15. Never had much science so it's all new and exciting to me