• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Favourite sci-fi/fantasy books or authors?

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
298
Reaction score
340
Awards
5
I also remembered China Miéville, who has a really interesting style. He writes both sci-fi and fantasy, and some people would probably call his work “New Weird.” Embassytown is a pretty great book, and Perdido Street Station was a big success too.
He also wrote a book with Keanu Reeves, but that one wasn’t quite as successful as his solo books...
 

Frater M.M.

Zealot
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
125
Reaction score
208
Awards
2
I also remembered China Miéville, who has a really interesting style. He writes both sci-fi and fantasy, and some people would probably call his work “New Weird.” Embassytown is a pretty great book, and Perdido Street Station was a big success too.

Yeah, I think I read a bit of Perdido Street Station and it was good from what I remember. Great little interview as well; he seems like quite an interesting guy.

He also wrote a book with Keanu Reeves, but that one wasn’t quite as successful as his solo books...

:unsure:
 

Robert Ramsay

Apostle
Joined
Oct 1, 2023
Messages
1,829
Reaction score
4,311
Awards
13
I also remembered China Miéville, who has a really interesting style. He writes both sci-fi and fantasy, and some people would probably call his work “New Weird.” Embassytown is a pretty great book, and Perdido Street Station was a big success too.
I started Perdido Street Station but it badly needed more editing and I gave up in exhaustion about a third of the way through. Plus very few of the ideas really excited me.
 

Rowena

Disciple
Joined
Nov 20, 2023
Messages
681
Reaction score
4,703
Awards
14
Off the top of my head, the ones that stand out to me are:

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Mary Gentle - Grunts!
Roger Zelazny - The Amber series
Michael Moorcock - Pretty much everything
Barbara Hambly - The Darwath 'trilogy' & others
Marion Zimmer Bradley - Mists of Avalon series
Alan Dean Foster - Spellsinger series & others
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Pellucidar & Barsoom series
Julian May - Pretty much everything
Iain Banks - The Culture novels
Charles Stross - The Laundry files
J R R Tolkien - Pretty much everything
Frank Herbert - The Dune series & others
Robert A Heinlein - Pretty much everything
Ursula K Le Guin - The Hainish books
Kim Harrison - The Hollows series
A E van Vogt - Everything, but especially The Voyage of the Space Beagle
John Wyndham - Everything, but especially Day of the Triffids, Chocky, The Midwich Cuckoos, & The Kraken Wakes
 

Frater M.M.

Zealot
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
125
Reaction score
208
Awards
2
Thanks, I watched the little intro with Dr Wiggo but had to stop to avoid spoilers. I will definitely have to add her to the ever-growing list of books to read :)
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
298
Reaction score
340
Awards
5
Empire of the Atom --A. E. van Vogt

About Clane, a mutant born to a noblewoman after she’s exposed to some kind of radiation.
They decide to keep him alive because one of the Atom priests wants to study him, but also makes sure he gets an education.
Pretty awesome book!
clane.jpg
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
298
Reaction score
340
Awards
5
I think the covers are pretty different depending on the edition…
There’s also --The Word for World Is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin, which James Cameron apparently took some inspiration from for the Na’vi in Avatar.
Except that Le Guin’s people are these little hairy, monkey-like creatures, less than a meter tall and completely covered in green fur. :)
leg.jpg
 
Top