• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Fellowship of the Rosy Cross and self-initiation through Kabbalistic exercises

Reaction score
Awards
This is a spinoff from a previous thread that was answered...

But, this post is on Christopher's book "Kabbalah, Magic, and the Great Work of Self-Transformation", or Kraig's "Modern Magick", and Waite's "Complete Initiations of the Fellowship of the Rosy Cross".

Kraig's take is self-initiation into a hermetic system can be accomplished through Kabbalah, Enochian, and hermetic habits.
Christopher's tkae is self-initiation is possible through Kabbalistic exercises and thorough outlines of the initiation ceremonies.

So, how far fetched is a side by side transcription of the GD and the RC initiation ceremonies through kabbalistic exercises and daily rituals?

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Didn't Regardie say you could initiate if you kept repeating the Middle Pillar? Or was he talking about the Portal Grade?

Reaction score
Awards
Not sure. Opening by Watchtower is more likely.
Post automatically merged:

The problem is lack of a vault, initiating officers and inner plane contacts supported by the egregore.
This begs then the question, how did ancient magicians rise to the rank of Magus?

Christopher uses the model of the four worlds, and use of imagination to visualize the colors in scale of the ToL spheres.
Combined with godnames and the name of the sphere i.e. Madim vs Geburah or Olam Yesodoth vs Malkuth, it is possible through Kabbalistic means to self-initiate. The inner plane contacts should judge the candidate on their quality of work and decide to initiate. In Portal, Opening by Watchtower is used.
But .. the real magic lies in alalysis of the initiation ceremony from TGD with voicing each officer. Therefore, the FRC uses similar ceremonies, and by outlining both through careful introspection and voicing them, who can say what if anything will occur?

This also contributes to my initiation by chessboard thread. In that, symbolic tokens of officrs and implements are used with the initiation ceremony voiced.

Last edited:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
This begs then the question, how did ancient magicians rise to the rank of Magus?
I'm not sure what you mean by this - the rank of Magus is a Golden Dawn structure, so it didn't exist before the 1880s, so ancient magicians never rose to that rank

Or is there some particular skill that people of Magus rank have, and you're asking how non-GD magicians acquire that skill?

Reaction score
Awards
What * mean by it is how did magicians of old rise in power without a lodge.

NO, I'm not arguing this. I would reread it, I'm not sure how to explain it.

The real point of my post is outlining and voicing the FRC ceremonies enough times for it to plant a seed in you. For each grade.

Last edited:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
What * mean by it is how did magicians of old rise in power without a lodge.
Gotcha

For me, I've never had an interest in the Lodge system and so I don't see a mystery here - the question of how people increased in power is answered just by looking at the magical systems they had, and then within that system, the answer would be the same as "how does a person get better at brain surgery, or electrical repairs" - intelligent, graduated practice beginning with small, safe things, learning theory, analysing weak points and focusing on improving those, analysing strong points and figuring out how to leverage those, learning from teachers and fellow practitioners, learning from books, having a broad life experience and applying lessons from other fields, more practice...

The majority of historical magical systems involved deities or spirits, so intensity of devotion and strength of those relationships would play a big part, but I think devotion and "aura of command" are also skills you study and practice at to develop. Abramelin is an obvious example, ramping up in intensity over months, and you get great power at the end of it without a lodge

I think Lodges can speed up this process the way any good teacher can, and because of the resources they have (try practising brain surgery without an institution to provide you with dummies and cadavers to practice on) but i don't think there's a special "Ingredient X" they provide that you can't get elsewhere

(Magic has been in every culture at every time, so there's just no way it's reliant on a secret ingredient from a European institution that's only been around a couple hundred years)

Reaction score
Awards
Exactly. Mages of old typically had to have the equivalent of a Masters in LSA.

Mages of old were typically in employ of rulers and or the churches. All the more reason why they were typically not persecuted by giving high praise to the rulers in their books and could afford therefore whatever they were in need for.
Also a reason why churches had early grimoires and dabbled in a bit themselves. Perhaps not to the extent of present occultism, but they had unfortunate knowledge after persecuting some mages who converted later.

Tonight I'm going to write the Neophyte outlines of each, voicing both per Z.2 A..Z points.

Then tackle Zelator, then tackle Theoricus.

Due to my not finishing my side reading, will start the FRC project by outlining the Neophyte Initiation Ceremony, for both the GD and the FRC.

Finished the rough outline of the 0=0 HOGD Initiation Ceremony. Now to compare the two order ceremonies. The noticeable thing is the amount of careful reading on the Officers, and that in the two orders, only in the FRC does one bear a sword, the rest bear wands/staffs/sceptres. The other noticeable thing is the difference in the names of the Officers and the layout of the Temple and Altar.

Last edited: