• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

"Fictional" Character as One's Daimon?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone heard of this? The writer attempts to contact his personal demon (HGA, etc.) and it presents as a character the author himself authored. Perhaps even goes so far as to insist that he, the demon, is not the writer's creation. Rather he conjured the writer.

On the one hand, it's "interesting if true." On the other the strong possibility of self-delusion seems to linger like enchiladas' after-gas in a slow elevator.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The life of Phillip K Dick?
Maybe his phantom twin sister created him.

"I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane."

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I read about this recently, and now I cannot recall what book it was in; perhaps the same source as yours?

You know, people can say or write just about anything and find others who will uncritically believe it. Imagination is a wonderful thing. It's all the more wonderful when a good imagination brings not only happiness but material comfort. The Daydreamer, on the other hand, usually winds up with neither.

Shilo, when I was young —​
I used to call your name​
When no one else would come,​
Shilo, you always came​
And we'd play ...​
Unlike Neil Diamond, I never had an imaginary friend as a child, though I imagined my little brother was an alien sent to annoy me. :alien:

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Where a character has been developed into a thought-form, it is possible for another intelligence to inhabit/inform the structure and use it to communicate with humans operating on the level on which the thought-form exists.

Thus the character can be a communication bridge.

Testing the quality of the communicator is important. Just like the internet, the name may mean nothing

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone heard of this? The writer attempts to contact his personal demon (HGA, etc.) and it presents as a character the author himself authored. Perhaps even goes so far as to insist that he, the demon, is not the writer's creation. Rather he conjured the writer.

On the one hand, it's "interesting if true." On the other the strong possibility of self-delusion seems to linger like enchiladas' after-gas in a slow elevator.

I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man? (Zhuangzi)

I don't know which book you're referring to but regarding my agathodaimon a.k.a. HGA, I wouldn't want to bare my soul to another entity, fictional or not, that is basically foreign to me. Such entities always come from another pantheon or system, with their distinct personality, backstory, powers, etc., they just don't jibe with my idea of "myself made perfect" or however you want to see your guardian angel. Such a being might be a patron in the way demonolators cultivate them, a teacher, a source of power and inspiration, a protector and whatnot but always as an entity your are basically inferior to, that you revere and maybe even construct an altar for (how would an altar built for Iron Man look like, I wonder). The relationship would be one of veneration while my agathodaimon (which I hope to attain some day) and I are essentially equals. I like see him/her/it as my buddy, as myself who has successfully mastered all the difficulties I had to and have to contend with in my life and transcended my flawed personality. Me as my own Ipsissimus, so to speak.

Nevertheless, the idea has some attraction if you think invocation, not daimon. I think an already created fictional entity from a work of literature, movie etc. would have even more power because it would represent a popular archetype (think hero here, for example) shared by millions of people, just like a deity of old. Such an archetype would be already highly dynamic and colorful because there is always a story as well as adventures attached to it while you have to work harder creating your own spirit from scratch that is even remotely credible and powerful.

So I might invoke John Wick some day but I wouldn't want him as my Holy Guardian Angel.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've read or heard about this as well but absolutely can not remember where or when.

I would be extremely wary of that experience.

It could be a Thoughtform or Egregore or Spirit that is impersonating the person's Personal Daimon/HGA.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man? (Zhuangzi)

I don't know which book you're referring to but regarding my agathodaimon a.k.a. HGA, I wouldn't want to bare my soul to another entity, fictional or not, that is basically foreign to me. Such entities always come from another pantheon or system, with their distinct personality, backstory, powers, etc., they just don't jibe with my idea of "myself made perfect" or however you want to see your guardian angel. Such a being might be a patron in the way demonolators cultivate them, a teacher, a source of power and inspiration, a protector and whatnot but always as an entity your are basically inferior to, that you revere and maybe even construct an altar for (how would an altar built for Iron Man look like, I wonder). The relationship would be one of veneration while my agathodaimon (which I hope to attain some day) and I are essentially equals. I like see him/her/it as my buddy, as myself who has successfully mastered all the difficulties I had to and have to contend with in my life and transcended my flawed personality. Me as my own Ipsissimus, so to speak.

Nevertheless, the idea has some attraction if you think invocation, not daimon. I think an already created fictional entity from a work of literature, movie etc. would have even more power because it would represent a popular archetype (think hero here, for example) shared by millions of people, just like a deity of old. Such an archetype would be already highly dynamic and colorful because there is always a story as well as adventures attached to it while you have to work harder creating your own spirit from scratch that is even remotely credible and powerful.

So I might invoke John Wick some day but I wouldn't want him as my Holy Guardian Angel.
The book in question was something the (little known) individual himself wrote. The entity (if such it be) shows qualities the writer considers admirable, but has a rather brusque and slightly ironic manner.
Post automatically merged:

I've read or heard about this as well but absolutely can not remember where or when.

I would be extremely wary of that experience.

It could be a Thoughtform or Egregore or Spirit that is impersonating the person's Personal Daimon/HGA.
Yes, that is a possibility. The entity's attitude though is not one of much interest. It generally asks reports of the writer's workings/astral travels. Generally sums these up with a pithy remark or two. The manner is much on the order of a busy capitain dealing with a subaltern, brusque but with touches of bantering humor.