• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Foreign languages and grimoires?

Reaction score
Awards
Besides Latin, what do you think is another good language to learn for the sake of the known grimoires out there in common ceremonial magick groups use?
German or French?
One could say Enochian as well. We could take an anthropological approach to linguistics and Enochian as a religion.
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps as a consequence of the failed experiment of 220% effort into powers of A & D, I have an interest in learning at least Latin and exploring grimoires groups like the Jesuits tested for exorcism purposes.

Last edited:

Ereshkigal

Neophyte
Reaction score
Spanish actually has a lot of potential for magick. There aren't many grimoires written in it but if is definitely a very powerful language.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Besides Latin, what do you think is another good language to learn for the sake of the known grimoires out there in common ceremonial magick groups use?
German or French?
One could say Enochian as well. We could take an anthropological approach to linguistics and Enochian as a religion.
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps as a consequence of the failed experiment of 220% effort into powers of A & D, I have an interest in learning at least Latin and exploring grimoires groups like the Jesuits tested for exorcism purposes.
It is estimated to take about 600-750 hours for a native English speaker to learn Latin.

no offense but I think you have a fundamental issue with discipline that might need to be worked on magically or psychologically beforehand.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I think learning a language just to get true meaning ex. not skewed by translation is an overkill.

Language after all depends on culture that was dominant at given time and region, in lands influenced by Romans it was Latin, in times of Helenism it was Greek etc.
just like today dominant is English due to American influence so books are written or translated to mostly in English.

But other than historical reason and power of a nation I think language has no other impact on texts.
Accuracy is I think not worth learning a language and letter, especially since to be able to accurately translate text you'll need to be proficient.