• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Publisher/Bookshop Gallery of Magick cursed books

Discussions about publishers/book shops

Valmontmous

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
It is said that Damon Brand's books from the Gallery of Magick are protected by a curse. How come ? Does that mean if I download the book for free on internet the content will not work for me ?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everyone!
It is said that Damon Brand's books from the Gallery of Magick are protected by a curse. How come ? Does that mean if I download the book for free on internet the content will not work for me ?
Try it and find out. Better yet manipulate someone you don't much like into trying it first.

Blanket curses of a large number of total strangers scattered over a large area would seem to be very hard to work successfully. Damon Brand might very well be a kick-astra mage, but I have doubts even he could pull this off. It's a lot easier simply start the rumor as a way of protecting possible royalties.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everyone!
That's what Damon Brand claims:

We have cursed those who share the books illegally, and all who download illegally. This curse limits your ability to perform magick. Petty theft is the ultimate self-curse. If you steal books that cost a few dollars and then do magick, guess what happens? The magick amplifies the feeling of being a thief. You remain poor! People who steal cannot get magick to work the way it should. That curse on the self is stronger than any curse we could put in place. If you buy the books legally you will rectify this situation.

(
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
)

Whether such curses can even be effective is a matter for debate but I'd say the mere rumour of such a curse alone works 100%. Your GoM ritual is unsuccessful? Blame it on Damon Brand's curse. The next time you try one, you can't even help not expecting failure - I'm not sure that positive thinking works but negative thinking is effective every time.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've always thought it was more of a subliminal/subconscious way to create enough doubt for it to short circuit the Magick.

If you think it's cursed and won't work well then there you go it probably won't.

Do I think DB or the GoM can place a wide general curse on all who Pirate??

Hell no...lmao.

It's ironic too because the GoM lifted all their Sigils from original Manuscripts that anyone can find online from Wellcome MS's

There whole method is lifted from past authors.

Now to their credit they assembled it all into an easy beginner friendly way of doing things and successfully marketed the hell out of it all.

But I guess my point is if purely 'borrowing' from another's work or sharing information is petty theft and an 'ultimate curse' then none of their stuff would work for them either.

They are just protecting their 'IP' with the threat of self doubt.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Storytime: As a tween, I shoplifted (from a major outlet) a Rider-Waite tarot deck. From that day until the day, years later, that I gave the deck away, I never had an accurate reading with it nor a reading without very negative cards appearing (the 10 and 9 of Swords were especially "vocal"). Virtue prospers.

There are a lot of reasons why I think Damon Brand would be incapable of pulling-off a curse of this magnitude, a primary reason being his desire to cast it in the first place. If you are ready to communicate with your daemon, nothing in the universe is going to get in the way of that, much less someone's learnt, Protestant ideas about the sanctity of the profit margin. So, no, I do not think your work will be negatively effected by using the techniques in these books if you are using them with a sincere desire to evolve. No more than it would if you borrowed a book from the library.

However, if you do find any book genuinely useful, my guidance would be to buy a copy when you can. This is especially important when the author of a book is still alive.

Now, if you wanted to ask whether Brand's books are actually any good...

Valmontmous

Neophyte
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for clear opinions. I understand much better. I'll go through the rituals with sincere heart and absolute determined to evolve.
Pay be upon you all
🙏
Post automatically merged:

Thanks to you all for clear opinions. I understand much better. I'll go through the rituals with sincere heart and absolute determined to evolve.
Pay be upon you all
🙏
*peace be upon you all

Last edited:

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everyone!
Even if it was true, all you really need to do is tweak the rituals a little (As some practitioners like to do) and make it yours. Every ritual that you come across from occult books was probably taking from another practitioner author anyways, all they did was tweaked it, reprogrammed it to make it work for them... so isn't that then theft, as the practitioner gave no such permission?

Its just a scare to make you buy it, but maybe Damon Brand is right its only a few dollars depending on what type of book you want, paperback, hardcover. Honestly I wouldn't mind a mini library full of occult books.

Indigo777

Neophyte
Reaction score
Even if it was true, all you really need to do is tweak the rituals a little (As some practitioners like to do) and make it yours. Every ritual that you come across from occult books was probably taking from another practitioner author anyways, all they did was tweaked it, reprogrammed it to make it work for them... so isn't that then theft, as the practitioner gave no such permission?

Its just a scare to make you buy it, but maybe Damon Brand is right its only a few dollars depending on what type of book you want, paperback, hardcover. Honestly I wouldn't mind a mini library full of occult books.
Eventually, you'll (most likely) get bored of any occult library. We are creatures of novelty and need the prospect of endless new possibilities and never-ending mysteries in front of us, just to stay sane and functional. So the collection of life-handling recipes no matter how great and ancient, does not help. For example, imagine a world in which absolutely everything goes your way. You read all the books and became omniscient. As defacto a God of that reality, you would have total control over everything. Of course, you would have a blast for a while, enjoying everything you would find enjoyable. But sooner or later that ultimate satisfaction would fade away and you would find yourself entrapped by the "Universe of known things and phenomenons". No more uncertainty, no problems, no randomness and mystery, no more challenges. Just your total control over everything. Although what is described is every billionaire's wet dream, that is not a good place to be, because it hides a seed of madness and self-destruction.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
imagine a world in which absolutely everything goes your way. You read all the books and became omniscient. As defacto a God of that reality, you would have total control over everything. Of course, you would have a blast for a while, enjoying everything you would find enjoyable. But sooner or later that ultimate satisfaction would fade away and you would find yourself entrapped by the "Universe of known things and phenomenons". No more uncertainty, no problems, no randomness and mystery, no more challenges. Just your total control over everything.
And that's when you become a GM(Game Master).

Jokes aside, we can't realistically know if "knowing everything" and "being able to do everything" would indeed make us bored, because we simply lack that perspective and no matter how much we try to imagine it, we are still very limited by our own narrow perspectives.The closest we could get to this are the super-rich(and that's based on what we can see coming from them) that can virtually buy anything they want, but that doesn't mean they can do anything like this omniscient and omnipowerful being you're describing.

And despite being an atheist, I have faith that we'll see new things coming up in the occult world.Maybe we'll stop re-inventing the wheel and finally find new things, new knowledge.

So, no, I do not think your work will be negatively effected by using the techniques in these books if you are using them with a sincere desire to evolve. No more than it would if you borrowed a book from the library.
Good point.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everyone!
Just use the magickal defense by GOM themselves to negate it if there is a curse. What are they gonna do about that?

tumblr_p0z95gNRuG1u2stwzo1_500.gif

Indigo777

Neophyte
Reaction score
And that's when you become a GM(Game Master).

Jokes aside, we can't realistically know if "knowing everything" and "being able to do everything" would indeed make us bored, because we simply lack that perspective and no matter how much we try to imagine it, we are still very limited by our own narrow perspectives.The closest we could get to this are the super-rich(and that's based on what we can see coming from them) that can virtually buy anything they want, but that doesn't mean they can do anything like this omniscient and omnipowerful being you're describing.

And despite being an atheist, I have faith that we'll see new things coming up in the occult world.Maybe we'll stop re-inventing the wheel and finally find new things, new knowledge.

Good point.
Well, it is kind of confusing when you say "We don't know cause we lack perspective" and yet you know enough to (indirectly) state that there is no God by saying that you are an atheist. I mean I understand that from our modern viewpoint, there are so many old and primitive concepts of the (usually) anthropomorphic entity that runs the Universe. But if we put those fairytales aside, what do you exactly know about the nature of reality to make you decide to be an atheist? This is not a provocative question, I would like to know. I ask cause because, in most of the magickal traditions, there is no question of God's existence (including GOM-style "instant Kabbalah").

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
maybe it's just something he made up to make money?
Damon Brand writes books for a living under another pen name, this is why he's so fanatical about copyrights. He also says somewhere that the publishing industry was "deeply flawed", so probably author royalties aren't what they used to be.

Blackrose00

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Damon Brand writes books for a living under another pen name, this is why he's so fanatical about copyrights. He also says somewhere that the publishing industry was "deeply flawed", so probably author royalties aren't what they used to be.
the answer is quite clear, it directs people to the book because the information in it will not be changed even if it is uploaded in pdf
it's a kind of earning money, it's a kind of reading habit.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Well, it is kind of confusing when you say "We don't know cause we lack perspective" and yet you know enough to (indirectly) state that there is no God by saying that you are an atheist
I re-read my post but nowhere in there did I say that "there is no god".I think you're reading too much into my words or projecting something here.

I only said that I was an atheist but in no way did I try to enforce my personal view of religion over others or ascertain that "my opinion is the only one right".

It doesn't mean that I won't argue their viewpoints, but I won't do so when unprompted by them.
maybe it's just something he made up to make money?
I thought this too.

Despite living in a relatively scientifically advanced age, we still keep a lot of things from ages ago, like the fear of curses(which could coincide with natural disasters or spread of diseases back then).Makes sense to give a try to psychologically influence people by making claims of a curse, since most people tend to believe in curses due to them also being religious.

Damon Brand writes books for a living under another pen name, this is why he's so fanatical about copyrights.
I don't follow.What the pen name has to do with being fanatical about copyrights?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I don't follow.What the pen name has to do with being fanatical about copyrights?
I meant that he depends on royalties (not only from his magic books) for income, that's why his anti-pirating stance is so extreme that he (purportedly) resorts to curses. He can't very well announce that he's cursed his romance novels or whatever he writes under another pen name, so he claims he's cursed the GoM books instead. Other authors, although not many, have followed suit; I suppose curses is the only means they can try to curb wide-spread pirating. Less-books sold = less income.

Promise

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
The first copies of GOM books I found online in the most popular free ebook services had weird or special characters that replaced much of the Hebrew. Perhaps that's the "curse"?? GOM uploaded bad copies intentionally. Interestingly, those worked better for me than the real deal.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The first copies of GOM books I found online in the most popular free ebook services had weird or special characters that replaced much of the Hebrew. Perhaps that's the "curse"?? GOM uploaded bad copies intentionally. Interestingly, those worked better for me than the real deal.
All the copies in our Library are fine (I've read most of them); some are weirdly formatted, perhaps for an earlier Kindle version, but the characters are ok.