• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Gender affecting magick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
By "culture" our Jacko means something he himself is comfortable with. Sort of like a young G.E. Moore who defined "the Good" as "a non-definable, non-natural property," one that oddly enough generally adhered to or inhered in entities that G.E. Moore & Co. already preferred before their ethical "research."
oh, ok. I can't be bothered to second guess what someone else might like unless I'm buying them a birthday present.

on topic, I think that a certain amount of gender fluidity (stop giggling at the back) fits very well with the Chaos Magic ideas of manipulating your own belief systems. Roleplaying an alien gender might give you access to ways of doing magic you hadn't thought of before.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
oh, ok. I can't be bothered to second guess what someone else might like unless I'm buying them a birthday present.

on topic, I think that a certain amount of gender fluidity (stop giggling at the back) fits very well with the Chaos Magic ideas of manipulating your own belief systems. Roleplaying an alien gender might give you access to ways of doing magic you hadn't thought of before.
Gender is part of a belief system?

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I said "fits very well with" not "is" AS WELL YOU KNOW

Besides, maybe it's the kind of work that gives you "permission" to discover things about yourself you didn't know previously. You need to know as much as possible about yourself to make magic successful AS WELL YOU KNOW

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Woman is the fuse, man is the switch.
Magic goes "through" the female body (the vessel), magic happens "outside" the male body (the wand).
Women take magical hits inside their body (through physical pain), men take magical hits in their mind (through mental breakdowns).

These are some of the key take-aways of "
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
", a very interesting and vulnerable conversation (July '24) between Josephine McCarthy (the one and only) and Amethysta Herrick. Their answer is a clear yes: gender affects magic massively.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Not counting harry potter, name one book your country has written since LOTR/Narnia.
Are you actually serious?
Post automatically merged:

Woman is the fuse, man is the switch.
Magic goes "through" the female body (the vessel), magic happens "outside" the male body (the wand).
Women take magical hits inside their body (through physical pain), men take magical hits in their mind (through mental breakdowns).

These are some of the key take-aways of "
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
", a very interesting and vulnerable conversation (July '24) between Josephine McCarthy (the one and only) and Amethysta Herrick. Their answer is a clear yes: gender affects magic massively.

Just need to point out that you cannot actually change gender - this is simply a false belief, as every single cell in your body knows what that body's gender is. No surgeon has ever made a woman out of a man and vice-versa - and never will either.
It's not only nonsensical, it's mad - we now mutilate children who want to explore roles and play by telling them they have been born into the wrong body and must now take a concoction of artifically produced hormones for the rest of their lives that will make said life shorter & painful.
Have you any idea what the long term effects of massive oestrogen doses are on a male body? I guess not.

Last edited:

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Just need to point out that you cannot actually change gender - this is simply a false belief, as every single cell in your body knows what that body's gender is. No surgeon has ever made a woman out of a man and vice-versa - and never will either.
It's not only nonsensical, it's mad - we now mutilate children who want to explore roles and play by telling them they have been born into the wrong body and must now take a concoction of artifically produced hormones for the rest of their lives that will make said life shorter & painful.
Have you any idea what the long term effects of massive oestrogen doses are on a male body? I guess not.
I try not to comment on these kind of posts, but on this occasion I will say that, like with magic, it's easy to dismiss things that you have no personal experience of. I have personally never felt to need to become a woman, but I listen to my trans friends, since they have had the experience. They are all quite rational and I see no reason to disbelieve them when they talk about how they are.

Also, as a thought experiment, how would you be if your brain was transplanted into a body of the opposite sex? Would you suddenly become that gender?

Also also, we don't know enough about the brain to know anything about how its software works. The only knowledge we have is what brain owners tell us.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm very sorry, but no amount of mental re-programming & surgery can over-ride the physical biological reality.
I repeat - every cell in your body knows what gender it is, your Chromosomes also determine this and if any cell were to be de-differentiated then you could literally grow a new body that would be identical to the original.
No surgeon can make a woman out of a man or vide-versa.

Tried to edit this, but not allowed to.
If you want to have a magickal explanation, why is it not simply possible that all these people are just subconsciously recalling a previous incarnation where they were happier than they are in their current one?

Last edited:

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I'm very sorry, but no amount of mental re-programming & surgery can over-ride the physical biological reality.
I repeat - every cell in your body knows what gender it is, your Chromosomes also determine this and if any cell were to be de-differentiated then you could literally grow a new body that would be identical to the original.
No surgeon can make a woman out of a man or vide-versa.

Tried to edit this, but not allowed to.
If you want to have a magickal explanation, why is it not simply possible that all these people are just subconsciously recalling a previous incarnation where they were happier than they are in their current one?
Leaving aside any dualism or whatever (as I don't believe in it)

The mind is emergent from the brain. No explanation that depends purely on the physical brain structures will be able to explain the mind.

Think of it as software and hardware. The same hardware is capable of running massively different kinds of software.

I remember somebody writing into an agony aunt and saying that homosexuality is a choice. The agony aunt wrote back and said "in that case, why don't you try it for a week or two?".

I will always value the judgements about a thing from someone who has had the experience over someone who has not. Just like magic.

The reincarnation argument is an amusing one, but I don't think it helps.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Something something the patriarchy enforces gender roles
Something something gender norms are enforced by culture which is informed by majority religion
Something something gender is almost non-definable across a large enough sample size
Something something religion is used as a method of control with gender being the easiest

Are you actually serious?

Someone hasn't read historical analysis of gender roles and the various deities expressing specifically gender fluidity or straight up representation of changing ones "gender".

Some examples:
Loki literally gave birth to a horse
Aphroditus literally being a "gender-bent" version of Aphrodite (also known as Hermaphroditus)
Various Egyptian gods showing signs of both "genders" or being gender neutral entirely
The existence of Baphomet
Just to name a few

This is literally the lowest IQ take

Leaving aside any dualism or whatever (as I don't believe in it)

The mind is emergent from the brain. No explanation that depends purely on the physical brain structures will be able to explain the mind.

Think of it as software and hardware. The same hardware is capable of running massively different kinds of software.

I remember somebody writing into an agony aunt and saying that homosexuality is a choice. The agony aunt wrote back and said "in that case, why don't you try it for a week or two?".

I will always value the judgements about a thing from someone who has had the experience over someone who has not. Just like magic.

The reincarnation argument is an amusing one, but I don't think it helps.

Since "biology" is also being brought into this one, being someone who has literally studied advanced genetics, phenotypes aren't entirely dependent on "yOuR cHrOmOsOmEs" because the Sr-y gene is known to cross over to the X chromosome (if you don't even know what that is, I suggest you actually take a genetics course before you make any supposition on "gender" (not you Mr Ramsay)). Not to mention, there are various "disorders" (this term is only used because it means "outside of the culturally accepted norm" and not "unavailable to reproduce" which is literally the point of evolution) that include multiple "sex" chromosomes (the entire term here is a misnomer because it represents an scientifically outdated PoV that even geneticists tend to laugh at), and other various phenotypical expressions that are not dependent on the "sex" chromosomes.

Something something gender norms are enforced by culture which is informed by majority religion
Something something gender is almost non-definable across a large enough sample size
Something something religion is used as a method of control with gender being the easiest

Someone hasn't read historical analysis of gender roles and the various deities expressing specifically gender fluidity or straight up representation of changing ones "gender".

Some examples:
Aphroditus literally being a "gender-bent" version of Aphrodite (also known as Hermaphroditus)
Various Egyptian gods showing signs of both "genders" or being gender neutral entirely
Just to name a few

Since "biology" is also being brought into this one, being someone who has literally studied advanced genetics, phenotypes aren't entirely dependent on "yOuR cHrOmOsOmEs" because the Sr-y gene is known to cross over to the X chromosome (if you don't even know what that is, I suggest you actually take a genetics course before you make any supposition on "gender" (not you Mr Ramsay)). Not to mention, there are various "disorders" (this term is only used because it means "outside of the culturally accepted norm" and not "unavailable to reproduce" which is literally the point of evolution) that include multiple "sex" chromosomes (the entire term here is a misnomer because it represents an scientifically outdated PoV that even geneticists tend to laugh at), and other various phenotypical expressions that are not dependent on the "sex" chromosomes.

But that is the only post I will make on this matter before I'm warned for being "off topic" again

Last edited:

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards

Some examples:
Just to name a few

But that is the only post I will make on this matter before I'm warned for being "off topic" again
Ok, I will concede the case if and only if you or one of your cohort can give birth to a horse like Loki did. Jesus fed four-thousand with a couple cans of sardines and a few saltines. This scarcely represents a realistic plan for conquering world hunger. So too with your taking ancient fantasy for reality.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Ok, I will concede the case if and only if you or one of your cohort can give birth to a horse like Loki did. Jesus fed four-thousand with a couple cans of sardines and a few saltines. This scarcely represents a realistic plan for conquering world hunger. So too with your taking ancient fantasy for reality.

The idea isn't "we can do it because the Gods can" but that the mythology of the culture directly influences and is influenced by the culture. If there's trans/genderfluid/nonheteronormative deities, they are probably reflecting the reality of the persons living in that culture.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
The idea isn't "we can do it because the Gods can" but that the mythology of the culture directly influences and is influenced by the culture. If there's trans/genderfluid/nonheteronormative deities, they are probably reflecting the reality of the persons living in that culture.
This totally neglects the dimension of wish-fulfillment in writing. Pick up any private-eye novel. The women are all easy, fistfights are a daily part of the job, with gunfights thrown in on Thursday afternoon. Then talk to a real private eye. You're in for a letdown. So too with your fantasies about the cultures named, I fear.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
This totally neglects the dimension of wish-fulfillment in writing. Pick up any private-eye novel. The women are all easy, fistfights are a daily part of the job, with gunfights thrown in on Thursday afternoon. Then talk to a real private eye. You're in for a letdown. So too with your fantasies about the cultures named, I fear.
Loki isn't primarily a wish-fulfilling figure. He is a chaotic figure. Your argument is bizarre.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Loki isn't primarily a wish-fulfilling figure. He is a chaotic figure. Your argument is bizarre.
I never said he was. I said that those conceiving the Loki tale were venting some vague wishes of their own re: gender. They were not, I submit, "reflecting social reality" which Khoren suggested they were.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I never said he was. I said that those conceiving the Loki tale were venting some vague wishes of their own re: gender.
As a dubious trickster figure?

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I apologize for making so many threads lately

I have heard that for example for some witchcraft magick to work you have to be female while for example for freemasonry you have to be male do these myrhs hold true

Also please dont give me the chaos magick respnse of "doesnt matter" (i dont hate chaos magick but i am asking for a more "oldschool" opinion on it

You see, in magic, there is the following rule applied when it comes to gender:

1. The gender you are born with assigns your certain physical and magical qualities both in childhood and in adulthood.

2. There are also certain energetic or "unseen" attributes within the gender you were born with.

Males in magic are more practically oriented and while they have psychic abilities, still, women are more psychic and intuitive than men.

Some magic may only be done by women, like either rituals to certain Godesses, or even in the Demonic current in case of Lilith where it is advised not to contact her if you are not female.

So, that is my 'old school' take on it

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I’ll just say a few things.

In my youthful ignorance I didn’t understand how a person could be born in a body that didn’t match their Conscience Ego.

But the path of Magick and Self ‘Enlightenment’ coupled with having a few LGBTQ friends changed my thinking or at least helped me in my understanding.

We really don’t know how specifically reincarnation happens.

I view it all really as the ‘Source’ seeking to have every experience possible and that would have to include having a Male Ego in a Female Body and Vice verse.

I’m sure that it’s a very difficult experience to have as it is and it does no one else any harm to show kindness and some understanding towards them and their experience.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I view it all really as the ‘Source’ seeking to have every experience possible and that would have to include having a Male Ego in a Female Body and Vice verse.

In an infinite universe, all impossibilities are possible, including ones which we cannot bear to conceive of as possible.

If a magician cannot conceive of such things, I must imagine their magic to be of the weakest sort yet, far devoid of the purity of creation. A magician so daft as to suppose Truth can only be sent back to the Library to study as a neophyte.

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
In an infinite universe, all impossibilities are possible, including ones which we cannot bear to conceive of as possible.

If a magician cannot conceive of such things, I must imagine their magic to be of the weakest sort yet, far devoid of the purity of creation. A magician so daft as to suppose Truth can only be sent back to the Library to study as a neophyte.
Not to put a mind-jam here, but how relatable is this infinity of an universe.

You see, I often have seen the illusion of infinity, that is already tiresome, at times.

While afterlife and the decisions we take in it are infinite, and so are only some decisions we take when we truly dedicate to the path of the Craft which tunes best with our vibes and energies, still, infinity in most of the times is an illusion.

In alternate states of mind and astral, I am sure that it is possible to do a lot of things, can't deny it as I still have some of my altars and shrines in the astral, but, in other ways, I still question the applicability of alternate realities into our reality. It's something almost impossible to do.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Not to put a mind-jam here, but how relatable is this infinity of an universe.

We exist in a such a limited understanding of infinite,
A speck of dust floating on a quasar in a vast ocean of chemistry.

I am sure that it is possible to do a lot of things, can't deny it as I still have some of my altars and shrines in the astral, but, in other ways, I still question the applicability of alternate realities into our reality. It's something almost impossible to do.

While our individual souls are limited by the material conditions confining our subjective experiences, that does not mean our experiences are invalid or valueless. Infinite iterations of infinite possibilities may mean that in one of them, your genetic makeup may have changed, but that doesn't mean the experiences of others in this infinite infinities landed them their own perfection.

We may not be able to access the sum of the alephs, but that doesn't make each individual infinity impossible.

Small mindedness does not leave room for magic, yet very often do magicians have small minds.

I say none of this to particularly insult any individual, but to draw attention to the possibility of misconception of Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.