• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Genuine Occultism, Obscurantism, and Bleak Superstition

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
OK, so I come crawling and cringing back. I sought refuge in a forum for secular philosophy, which I used to teach. Came to discover that there are numerous otherwise intelligent people out there who sincerely believe that the present Middle East contretemps can be solved by "taking seriously" Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein (in his "peace-out, dude!" setting.) shudder

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
OK, so I come crawling and cringing back. I sought refuge in a forum for secular philosophy, which I used to teach. Came to discover that there are numerous otherwise intelligent people out there who sincerely believe that the present Middle East contretemps can be solved by "taking seriously" Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein (in his "peace-out, dude!" setting.) shudder
Welcome back :)

"There's a simple answer to everything - and it's wrong"

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, re-welcome. Like I had said: no one leaves. But please pardon me if I find the topic title inspiring if slightly misleading.

"Genuine Occultism"
Image: Tantalos sets the table for dinner.

Obsolete* Levi's comment:
The operations of science are not devoid of danger, as we have stated several times. They may end in madness for those who are not established firmly on the basis of supreme, absolute, and infallible reason.

"Obscurantism"

Image: Sisyphus applies for a retail job after dropping out of college and told by Mom he needs to pay rent or move out. One of the two.

Obsolete** Levi's comment:
In order to devote ourselves to ceremonial magic, we must be free from anxious preoccupations; we must be in a position to procure all the instruments of the science, and be able to make them when needed; we must also possess an inaccessible laboratory, in which there will be no danger of ever being surprised or disturbed.

"Bleak Superstition"
Image: Midas scours Amazon for the right ginger remedy for his suspected male pattern baldness because his buddy told him it worked for him like in a week.

Obsolete*** Levi's comment:
The milder and calmer you are, the more effective will be your anger; the more energetic you are, the more precious will be your forbearance; the more skillful you are, the better will you profit by your intelligence and even by your virtues; the more indifferent you are, the more easily will you make yourself loved.

* Yeah, still using the TM. Ugh. Anyways, the order of commentary may be permuted.
** I mean, I have the new translation on audiobook and pdf, but the latter I cannot find because my files are a mess atm.
*** You know, that's the problem with downloading so many books - I have stuff from like 2005 that I still have not read. I browse through and find, of all things, Albert Pike. Why the fucksnizzle did I download Albert Pike?

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, re-welcome. Like I had said: no one leaves. But please pardon me if I find the topic title inspiring if slightly misleading.

"Genuine Occultism"
Image: Tantalos sets the table for dinner.

Obsolete* Levi's comment:
The operations of science are not devoid of danger, as we have stated several times. They may end in madness for those who are not established firmly on the basis of supreme, absolute, and infallible reason.

"Obscurantism"
Image: Sisyphus applies for a retail job after dropping out of college and told by Mom he needs to pay rent or move out. One of the two.

Obsolete** Levi's comment:
In order to devote ourselves to ceremonial magic, we must be free from anxious preoccupations; we must be in a position to procure all the instruments of the science, and be able to make them when needed; we must also possess an inaccessible laboratory, in which there will be no danger of ever being surprised or disturbed.

"Bleak Superstition"
Image: Midas scours Amazon for the right ginger remedy for his suspected male pattern baldness because his buddy told him it worked for him like in a week.

Obsolete*** Levi's comment:
The milder and calmer you are, the more effective will be your anger; the more energetic you are, the more precious will be your forbearance; the more skillful you are, the better will you profit by your intelligence and even by your virtues; the more indifferent you are, the more easily will you make yourself loved.

* Yeah, still using the TM. Ugh. Anyways, the order of commentary may be permuted.
** I mean, I have the new translation on audiobook and pdf, but the latter I cannot find because my files are a mess atm.
*** You know, that's the problem with downloading so many books - I have stuff from like 2005 that I still have not read. I browse through and find, of all things, Albert Pike. Why the fucksnizzle did I download Albert Pike?
I meant that the referenced belief in Bertrand Russell and Prince of Peace Al Einstein was bleakly superstitious. Guess I was too obscure on that score.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Guess I was too obscure on that score.
I've found that one of the great things about WF is all the deciphering one is compelled to do. I haven't got to Russell yet - after mopping up my brains from the Hegelian 12 gauge, I decided I needed a broad review. Found one in Bishop Turner, so now I wander among the mists of medieval Scholastics.
Perhaps more suited to "genuine occultism"? Meh...

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I've found that one of the great things about WF is all the deciphering one is compelled to do. I haven't got to Russell yet - after mopping up my brains from the Hegelian 12 gauge, I decided I needed a broad review. Found one in Bishop Turner, so now I wander among the mists of medieval Scholastics.
Perhaps more suited to "genuine occultism"? Meh...
No need to bother with Russell. He DID kick off the mathematical logic craze c. 1900 when he and Whitehead published "Principia Mathematica." After that? As one wag put it, "What to say about a thinker who occupied in succession every position in Anglo-American philosophy?" His politics were the typical humanitarian asanas one finds intellectuals striking throughout the 20th. century. (You know the drill: sign petitions, tsk tsk a lot.) A good workout for the morally athletic, perhaps, assuming hand-wringing burns off unwanted calories.

The medieval scholastics can kick-a** once one gets into their style. Thomas Aquinas' teacher, Albertus Magnus was skilled in alchemy. Some tales say he created a homunculus (a goyim version of a golem.) Along the fringes of scholasticism itself, one finds mystics popping up like toadstools. Most worth a look.