• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Geomancy stones

Reaction score
Awards
Is there a general recommendation, like size of dice, skipping stones, etc that are used for geomancy?

They must be fairly sizable, in order for a noticeable character painted on them to be seen, I would think anyway.

Also, best type of stones? Sandstone appears to be the most common in Michigan.

Reaction score
Awards
The Quartz crystal, but LL seemed lonely. I was looking for a pouch to carry those four and the dolomite and quartz stone may ride as well. Or might pick one and carry one a day on me and note what occurred, and reflect on what the stone carried may have influenced.

I will keep at it, Thursday Friday and Saturday I work open to close. This does not mean that I can't meditate or concentrate on a given stone and carry a notebook along with me (pocket size) to work with during my commute to and back.

Will keep t all of it. :)
And Thank You!!

Reaction score
Awards
I have by Israel Regardie:
A Practical Guide To Geomantic Divination
Geomancy from The Golden Dawn

Then I have Three Books of Occult Philosophy, and the Ciceros Self Initiation Guide.

I want to get started, so find smooth stones that are preferably not traumatized. I guess I will visit the Frog Island Huron River access point tomorrow.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
While not stones, I've tried a few readings using a tarot card deck to cast the four 'mothers' for a shield chart. Trumps are one or two dots based on odd or even numbers, Swords & Wands are one dot, and Cups and Pentacles are two dots. I did not call on any Geomantic Intelligences or Spirits listed in Greer's book. I used my Samiramay tarot deck since the cards are the size of regular playing cards, and it shuffles quite nicely. I feel like the deck doesn't want to be read in this way. I'm going to find some cheap colored dice instead. Still, it was educational to lay out the mothers, then form the daughters, nieces, left & right witnesses, and judge. It helped me get familiar with the figures too. But interpretation is another matter, and I'd have to do daily readings for a month or more to truly find my 'ground' in this practice.

Reaction score
Awards
There are mini versions of tarot decks. Before I left the LHP I was going to get and use the Occult Tarot.
I do need a new deck, and may go for DuQuettes Ceremonial Magic Deck and the Golden Dawn Deck for starters.
I haven't really kept up to date with different decks. The Quareia deck and BOTA I will most likely get as well.

Reaction score
Awards
As you walk along watch out for stones that are looking at you. When you find one, test it. Touch it a few times and observe your body energy. It should lift when you touch the stone

Sending light from the heart to a traumatized stone will often heal it
Good to know, I am planning to go down to the river sometime this week down in Frog Island, and skim along the Huron River stones for Geomancy. I may carry the shungite with me and place it in the river bed.
I would like to find stones that carry spirits/devas, and that are smooth, like skipping stones, which there are at least dozens to hundreds of them along the banks.
So I will prepare for the expedition, check the weather and dress plan and act accordingly.

Reaction score
Awards
Okay, as this month I am focusing on all things earth and Malkuth in nature, geomancy has once again come into the picture.
Alchemy, Qabalah, Geomancy, basic Planets and Houses. (May look into Vedic astrology as it uses square charts such as one can use in geomancy).

Will start looking for and collecting stones this week.
Sources:
Greer, The Art and Practice of Geomancy
Regardie, The Golden Dawn:"Geomancy"
Regardie: Geomantic Divination
Agrippa, On Geomancy

Other topics not related to Geomancy being studied this month
Alchemy, where do we start....
May use "The Philosophers Stone" by Regardie,
reference material from Ciceros "Self Initiation into the Golden Dawn Tradition"

Qabalah - Re-reading "Mystical Qabalah" by Fortune
Ciceros, "Scrying The Tree of Life"

Planets and Houses - ???, "The Astrology Book"

Mineral and Plant Kingdoms
Hodson, Agrippa, Barrett

Reaction score
Awards
Is there a general recommendation, like size of dice, skipping stones, etc that are used for geomancy?

They must be fairly sizable, in order for a noticeable character painted on them to be seen, I would think anyway.

Reading John Michael Greer's "The Art and Practice of Geomancy" (Thank you WizardForums for the book share!)
Also have "The Alchemy of Stones", "Gemstone Sorcery", Minerals texbook, Rock and Mineral ID textbook, Audobon Society Guide to Rocks and Minerals open. As well as Regards Geomantic Divination book open. I am determined to learn Geomancy through this fist week of July.
I am already a devotee of Geology, and like the Mineral Kingdom, and it appears they are okay with me as well. I have tried to unsuccessfully summon Ghob a couple of times in the past. Likely the warnings about the Elementals ring true in this case, a strong will must be readily available to work with the Earth elementals, and my will was not quite at that stage. It is getting stronger however.
Astrology will come next, and knowing now its not necessarily about playing with skipping stones, but using earths materials to arrive at an oracular or divinatory answer to the question sought. I will also do Geomantic readings through the other three weeks as time allows, at least one or two per day.

Reaction score
Awards
Am about to get back to Greers book and list out basic notes, same with Hodson Chaps 1-4. I have five days to make this happen. By now I know I can pick up pennies or tarot cards and cast a geomantic chart. Casting the chart, knowing the figures, knowing the elements planets and houses, and knowing how to interpret - I guess one topic a day to master to my own level.

For example, I already knew about the flat chart used for astrology, which is used in Vedic/Indian astrology as well, the shield chart I came across within the last decade, and need to understand both charts. I understand the concept of the mothers, the daughters, the nieces, the witnesses and judge.

Reaction score
Awards
Pro tip: When using the method up random dots on sixteen lines, realize that you are then to group by threes in terms of dots/pips, and each figure is then up to three pips per line for the four lines, working right to left to determine the mothers and daughters; and then dividing the four mothers, the four daughters, the nieces, witnesses and judge make it easier to determine on a shield chart. On a flat chart, still trying to figure that out, unless its by laying over a flat chart onto the random dots.

Reaction score
Awards
Unfortunately that pro tip does not work with a number of dots on a line from 1-7, this will require more study and simply following along throughout the book.

Reaction score
Awards
Third day of Malkuth, half the week for Geomancy knowledge. Must master Geomancy basics today. Next four days can be interpretation and advanced material.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Must master Geomancy basics today.
I rather think that several decades is only sufficient for an entry to geomancy

"Every culture has ancient geomantic traditions – the Chinese tradition is feng-shui. Like feng-shui, geomancy can tell you what’s wrong with the energies in your home or workplace, and how to correct them. In addition, Western geomancy utilises dowsing and earth acupuncture techniques to deal with
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and balance the subtle earth energies. Many of our practitioners also use scientific instrumentation to assess electromagnetic and microwave pollution (or
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
) – an increasing problem for many people in our technologically advanced and gadget-obsessed society."

Reaction score
Awards
Eastern methods Im pretty new to, for example, the only Hatha Yoga experience I have, the only Yoga experience I have, is from taking a college yoga class. The experience of Prana might not be a bad idea in light of this. So Feng Shui, I will have to research this as well.

Still looking into the grids you mentioned.
Post automatically merged:

Reviving this thread since the time has come for me to study both Geomancy and astrology, and construct and consecrate a Geomancy stones bag.
After learning the Geomancy figures and the basics of chart construction, shield or flat square, it will be the question again of what stones should be gathered, and to find the right size stones of a similar type, such as sandstone for an example type of stone, or Om stones with the reverse side hearing the geomantic figure.

Last edited: