• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Guy called me a satanist because i sad i follow golden dawn teachings

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
That's just one example. Yeah but my friends completely believed it. Ofcourse there would be more stauch skeptics who wouldn't believe it
I tend to believe a good striking example. So I'm no Hume. Anything better than the kid's game?

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Awards
I tend to believe a good striking example. So I'm no Hume. Anything better than the kid's game?
Well, I was forced into a speech, and I gave a speech on magic🪄 ✨ They listen wide eyed and stunned 🤯 😳 and I had to show them a spell to prove magic exists
Post automatically merged:

*listened to me

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Siegfried & Roy stunned thousands with faux magick. What differentiated yours?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I once won a candy bar in a grad school seminar by correctly identifying which book of Heidegger's a quote from Plato was in. That merely means I was unhealthily well-read, not necessarily a seer. (Seriously Snicker's bars plus the 500 pages of Sein und Zeit? Go to the gym there Mes O'Morph!)

How did the bibliographical demonstration become overtly magickal?

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Awards
Why you starting to talk like a staunch skeptic?

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Why you starting to talk like a staunch skeptic?
Actually, I was just going to make a suggestion. The problem is not with your experience or my attitude. The problem comes back to the one Hume addressed. Any mere report of a marvelous event is more likely false than a mundane explanation. As these are distant in time or chain of transmission, reliability goes down. If I actually saw you do something beyond ordinary powers, I'd have to take the whole thing seriously indeed. If I had reports from reliable witnesses, I'd be prodded to come see. But any report from a lone stranger---especially the protagonist---is not strong evidence. At best, it warrants an "I'll come visit."

A parallel case: every bar in Alaska seems to teem with ex-CIA assets, former SAS squaddies, and guys who studied Kung Fu with lamas in Bhutan. And a lot of these guys have the patter down---impressive technical vocabulary, fascinating tales of derring-do,etc. A few may even be real. But taking the tales with more salt than goes onto a margarita glass is scarcely pyrrohnism on the auditor's part. When it comes to weighing evidence, self-reporting is a slender reed and one bruised withal.

Moongarm71

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Alaskan bars are filled with dead beat dads dodging child support in my experience. Had no idea about the stolen valor part. That sucks.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Alaskan bars are filled with dead beat dads dodging child support in my experience. Had no idea about the stolen valor part. That sucks.
Actually CIA wannabees are what? "Stolen secrecy" types? I'd reserve "stolen valor" for guys wearing medals they were never awarded. The rest is simply B.S.-ing that's been going on ever since some Sumerian girlie cooed to Gudu-average, "You look a little like Gilgamesh." Him: "M-me? I uh...Yeah, I am Gilgamesh! Wanna see my flint-tips collection?"

My point in the posts above is that while some reports of powers and abilities are true, a lot aren't. A verbal account, on its own is simply a claim, not evidence. Even that hotbed of superstition, the Catholic Church, sets the bar pretty high when it comes to accepting an event as a miracle. They have a commission that investigates such events and the first thing they do is call in scientific experts. In other words, the first move in certifying a miracle is trying to debunk it. (Hey, even #MeToo has its rules of evidence: claims of rapes committed by Hamas are clearly impossible.)

Moongarm71

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
ok, so SAS still counts, I guess...
Teamwork Sas GIF by Channel 7

Promise

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
This is only my perception of things and could be entirely wrong (I hope so).

There's still a very large chunk of Western society - very rough guess 30% - 40%, that have 3 categories - Christian, Atheist, and Satanic (overall label for all occult). The difference for them between Atheist and Satanic is something like - non-believer (which might be rescuable) versus enemy combatant. Most of these that have this simplistic set of categories are some kind of fundamentalist Christian denomination (sadly). Essentially a binary logic. Christian or Not. If not, then Atheist or Satanic.

Of course to one of these folks - Golden Dawn is hard core Satanic.

For most of these folks it would nearly take a miracle to open their mind other wise.

In fact, for some, invoking a miracle would prove you were basically a demon. So, I've learned to mostly keep my mouth shut and to tread very carefully, as many of these people can quickly become rabidly unstable, on the verge of violence if they are convinced you are beyond "saving".

Obviously this is a huge over-generalization, and yet, it seems to be how it is (unfortunately).

So, to be more obvious - when you realize you are talking to someone that is one of these fundamentalist Christian types - my suggestion is keep your mouth shut about occult stuff, and tread carefully. You will NOT be able to convince 99% of them of anything otherwise.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Only if they can tell you the color of the Boathouse at Hereford.
An interesting thing. A friend of mine's father used to be in the SAS and my friend has been to the boathouse in Hereford (they lived near Hereford). They got the colour of the boathouse wrong in the film (almost certainly on purpose to catch out SAS wannabe's)

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
An interesting thing. A friend of mine's father used to be in the SAS and my friend has been to the boathouse in Hereford (they lived near Hereford). They got the colour of the boathouse wrong in the film (almost certainly on purpose to catch out SAS wannabe's)
Which film? I was thinking on the DeNiro scene in "Ronin." After trashing the faux warrior, he admits to his budding bromance Jean Reno, "What color? I don't know either." Still you mention a clever trick there.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Which film? I was thinking on the DeNiro scene in "Ronin." After trashing the faux warrior, he admits to his budding bromance Jean Reno, "What color? I don't know either." Still you mention a clever trick there.
Yes, that's it - but I never saw the film, only talked about it with my mate 😁

Mars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, you are not a Satanist for joining the golden dawn, but an idiot. Thats what the guy should have called you. You could as well have joined the freemasons at this point.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, that's it - but I never saw the film, only talked about it with my mate 😁
There was some gawdawful SAS film back around 2009 that had shots of the boathouse but I can't remember the color. Wash me out of selection for lack of attention to detail, I guess.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, you are not a Satanist for joining the golden dawn, but an idiot. Thats what the guy should have called you. You could as well have joined the freemasons at this point.

Why don’t you for the love of god shut the FUCK up and stop being such a god damn asshole that seems not to be able to say anything that’s not insulting someone and/or being a small minded bigot.

I don’t care what you think about the GD because it just an opinion one way or the other but your treatment of other people is deplorable.

You are insufferable on this forum.