• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Halloween is coming, what are your favorite rituals for the night of Samhain?.

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I am a begginer practicioner of High Magick and I dont have a favorite ritual for the season, since I am from Mexico we celebrate on the 1st of November wich is pretty much what the Catholic Church wanted to be, I will personally be researching Mediterranean Gods, and offering tribute to them, Catholicism mixed European culture with local pre Hispanic traditions and just recently I started to investigate on the Samhain tradition because of the High Magick practice.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I don’t have any particular favorites. Tbh I would forget it was that time of the year if my neighbor down the way didn’t go absolutely insane with crazy good decorations every year. I could imagine there’s a large variety of people who do though, normally i guess my “ritual” is having a bonfire, sit back smoke a cigar and look up at the sky. (no one goes door to door, I’m way too far out of the way)
Magickal wise I don’t ever really keep anything ore-planned for though.

Pyrographer

Neophyte
Reaction score
I have an absolute blast doing a dumb supper with the local community. It's lots of fun, I'm bringing the whole clan
I've always wanted to attend the dumb supper at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, MA. I lived there for years and never got to it. Much regret.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Never heard of a Dumb Supper before, totally wasn’t what I thought it was going to be lol. That is an interesting process to go through.
have an absolute blast doing a dumb supper with the local community
^ notice any benefits to doing so? I can imagine that body language and just the overall physical tone of this can help with body language patterns and intuition.

skyerivers

Meliae
Benefactor
Reaction score
Never heard of a Dumb Supper before, totally wasn’t what I thought it was going to be lol. That is an interesting process to go through.

^ notice any benefits to doing so? I can imagine that body language and just the overall physical tone of this can help with body language patterns and intuition.
I'll let you know 100% after we do it, this is my first year getting back to it. Due to recently moving home, this'll be my first year in a good while I'm getting to do it

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Very interesting about the Dumb Supper, USA has a lot of history of ghosts, Salem has always catched my attention is the place of a very interesting witch burning. Ive travel only one place is suppose to be haunted in America, but I often see ghost hunters on youtube, going to those haunted hotels wich is the turist atraction.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Very interesting about the Dumb Supper, USA has a lot of history of ghosts, Salem has always catched my attention is the place of a very interesting witch burning. Ive travel only one place is suppose to be haunted in America, but I often see ghost hunters on youtube, going to those haunted hotels wich is the turist atraction.
I’m not sure if any witches were burned at the stake in Salem, they were hung or drowned.

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
My bad, I didnt know, as I said Im from Mexico Im very interested in the Anglosaxon Paranormal world, I tought it was a commong practice for witches to get burn because in Mexico with inquisition it was that.
Post automatically merged:

Can I ask you Zodiac and Soltices and Equinoxes guys?
Im trying to craft a Sigil, but I might need some help with the Zodiac and the season festivals, can anyone help me out...

Last edited:

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
My bad, I didnt know, as I said Im from Mexico Im very interested in the Anglosaxon Paranormal world, I tought it was a commong practice for witches to get burn because in Mexico with inquisition it was that.

Im trying to craft a Sigil, but I might need some help with the Zodiac and the season festivals, can anyone help me out...
Do t feel bad, many Americans still thing witches were burned at the stake in Salem.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Do t feel bad, many Americans still thing witches were burned at the stake in Salem.
I think its called a common misconception, I saw that movie The Witch wich is recent and yeah it reminds me of those horrible times where Christians where authorities, in some AS books I have they explain how bad Christian prosecution was for magicians, and astronomers, and I honestly know about this from a Christian school system.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Last week I visited a nature site in my city that has never been built on, and that is named (mistakenly) "Witch mountain", I collected some water from the stream that according to legend was formed by the blood of the warriors that died there.
Not entirely sure how yet, but I'm going to use that water in one way or another at Halloween (maybe sprinkle it around my home as protection)
Fun fact: the Johnny Depp movie version of Sleepy Hollow might have been influenced by this site, as the name of the place / the neighbourhood is "Heksenberg" which is how the locals misheard / misremembered it. The real name was "Hessenberg" and the story is that the chief of the Hess got decapitated there, and every soldier threw a heap of sand on his severed head.

OberonFromTheHills

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Samhain tradition because of the High Magick practice.

Samhain and High Magick (if you mean ceremonial magick) comes from two different practices.

Samhain (and then All Hallows Eve) were celebrations of the people, feasting celebrating the gods and then the ancestors.

A "low magick"/neopagan way of celebrate it is invitating your ancestors for a special dinner as mentionned above.

If you want a more ceremonial approach, you need to check for the zodiac and/or the angels/demons that rules that time of the year.

Wiccans have their own rites but you may not agree with their cosmology (they celebrate the death of he Horned God)

Magickally, Samhain is the perfect time to banish, destroy parasites, ending something, planning the new year etc.

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Magickally, Samhain is the perfect time to banish, destroy parasites, ending something, planning the new year etc.
I did a little more research and I found out it was the Irish and other immigrants that brought Samhain to America where I live, and in the same article I found that is the beggining of winter, also heavily associated with the harvest.

Zineth-Pagnae

Neophyte
Reaction score
I did a little more research and I found out it was the Irish and other immigrants that brought Samhain to America where I live, and in the same article I found that is the beggining of winter, also heavily associated with the harvest.

Yeah definitely, harvest was and is one of its core traits since its primordial days. Although a more darkish/spooky tone is commonly related to to this time of year, at least in a significant part, it emerged as a tradition holding at its core rituals that evoke warmth, connection, communion, gratitude , transition, letting-go, recollection, cleansing, and acceptance of endings, death included.
If I´m not mistaken Samhain's origins can be traced to the Celts. Samhain being the transition time of the Celtic New Year. Beltane being at the other end of the calendar. On about May 1st. Spring. Flowering, Life sprawling. Samhain on the other hand the moment of the year cold starts to creep in, (at least in Northern hemisphere). the landscape changes, the canvas drawn by plants will go through a period loosing their petals, the grain fields yield their last collection, leaves draw a decreasing spectrum of colour changes in which the lively exploding colours from spring and summer give way to darker, more austere versions of themselves, more prepared to withstand the winter to come. The time for harvest and the recollection of the year past, the life past, the loved past and the natural welcoming of Death as part of a grander cycle. Samhain as a yearly cycle of recollection in many senses. As someone suggested above , I agree in that It is thus a great time to loose our own old/unhealthy leaves and petals as well. To accept the colder times and face them with bonfires lit and upkept by us until the sun is closer again. And meanwhile to give the yields of our best harvest to honour those who came before us, for we as well will be ancestors of others to come.

------

I wish you all a fruitful and warmth harvest season.

As far as I understand, witches were not ever burnt (or rarely so) nor were they hanged in the New Spain, modern day Mexico. Unlike its counterpart in Spain, where Catalunian, and Basque women were burnt, The Inquisition of New Spain often went for non-lethal punishments for people deemed under similar charges such as witches, the common (at least official punishment ) was varied and included but not limited to lashing, auto-da-fe (acts of faith) like public penance etc. And this was the case in general for what we know as Latin America. Nevertheless this claim is not entirely firm, since there are records in which the sentence is not included in the document we cannot know for certain what happened in each case And there are period in which heave aggressive evangelization took place in which the jurisdiction prior to the Inquisition sometimes without obtaining proper documentation, executed punishments to make an example to other rebels, like the Mayans that resisted evangelzation in 1546–1547 in Merida. The Inquisition claimed to have no jurisdiction over native people. For those that were not native and were accused of witchcraft the Inquisition, criollos, mestizos, mulatos, and other ethnical labels used then, the punishment as previously stated was varied but rarely if ever lethal unless undocumented/undiscovered. What is clear is that the more severe, cruel and often lethal prosecution undertaken by the Inquisition of New Spain was against other sub groups of society like the so called Conversos Judaizantes/Crypto-Jews. Jewish people that had officially converted to Catholicism but secretly kept observing Jewish tradition. Punishment for them varied from exile, torture, acts of faith and in some cases did end in burning alive at the stake. Equal cruelty was applied to cases against people arrested on the charge of being homosexuals, like the case of the 123 accused men of such charge, Mexico City, 1658, 14 of whom were burnt at the stake. A similar prosecution was taken towards some scientist, specially those who touched on Astronomy supporting or voicing theories that were then considered heretical, ideas like those proposed by Kepler and Galileo.

To end on a brighter note, in regards to OP's original question, I have no favourite ritual but I recently read Water Witchcraft: Magic and Lore from the Celtic Tradition by Annwyn Avalon , generously shared
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
If you are into water work, this excerpt is from that book:

´´The cross-quarter days of Beltaine (May Day), Samhain (All Hallows), and Imbolc (Candlemas) were popular days for visiting wells. During these special visits, the wells were often dressed with beautiful flowers, fruits, and candles as a means of giving offerings and thanking the spirits, whether saints, water nymphs, or fae.´´

Sorry I meant to link this WF post.

Last edited:

Audiolog Edu

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah definitely, harvest was and is one of its core traits since its primordial days. Although a more darkish/spooky tone is commonly related to to this time of year, at least in a significant part, it emerged as a tradition holding at its core rituals that evoke warmth, connection, communion, gratitude , transition, letting-go, recollection, cleansing, and acceptance of endings, death included.
If I´m not mistaken Samhain's origins can be traced to the Celts. Samhain being the transition time of the Celtic New Year. Beltane being at the other end of the calendar. On about May 1st. Spring. Flowering, Life sprawling. Samhain on the other hand the moment of the year cold starts to creep in, (at least in Northern hemisphere). the landscape changes, the canvas drawn by plants will go through a period loosing their petals, the grain fields yield their last collection, leaves draw a decreasing spectrum of colour changes in which the lively exploding colours from spring and summer give way to darker, more austere versions of themselves, more prepared to withstand the winter to come. The time for harvest and the recollection of the year past, the life past, the loved past and the natural welcoming of Death as part of a grander cycle. Samhain as a yearly cycle of recollection in many senses. As someone suggested above , I agree in that It is thus a great time to loose our own old/unhealthy leaves and petals as well. To accept the colder times and face them with bonfires lit and upkept by us until the sun is closer again. And meanwhile to give the yields of our best harvest to honour those who came before us, for we as well will be ancestors of others to come.

------

I wish you all a fruitful and warmth harvest season.
Thanks for that, in our mexican school system we are very detached from this culture but I live 2 halloweens in english speaking countries and i liked it, now i keep investigating because of the high magick practice and for culture, i have a thread about saturnalia and people going insane like if it where roman times and in halloween here they make a party on saturday the same week of halloween, just last year a father of 2, very young took drugs at one of this halloween parties in mexico and he ended up death, you wrote what I wanted to read because my country is slowly becoming as capitalized as america and mostly in a bad way, so yes, is a time for nature, also I heard from a YT occultist that for example in November is when the sun is setting it looks ember like, because some would say it was dying and soon it will renew.

Kelodo

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
It's so great to see the different ways people are honouring or celebrating Samhain.
For me, I will be honouring my ancestors.
Dedicating the night to them in honour of them. I do this for three reasons mostly,

1, respect
2, to heal any trauma/karma that travels through the line, not only for myself, but for my children.
3, for healing for my ancestors. My dad had a pretty terrible time on Earth and he was racked with guilt, I want him to be peaceful and to go into his incarnations with less trauma.

I do this in a form of prayer, meditation, offerings and rituals.

Are you in the Northern Hemisphere?

Last edited: