• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Hello there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavi

Visitor
Reaction score
I'm Xavi, from Mexico.
I'm 29.

I come from a heavily technical background and stumbled upon this website after watching too many ESOTERICA videos and Duncan Trussel stuff on Youtube.
I have a genuine interest in this stuff from a historical, philosophical and theological purview. Big nerd over here ngl.

I wonder if I can learn here about Hermes Trismegistus and ancient Gnosis.
I bought the Corpus Hermeticum and can't get past half of that little book since I truly cannot grasp what it is trying to tell me.

Nice to meet you!

Edit: Bad English

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
hi there, nice to meet you. you say you have a technical background, have you perhaps learned some german ( technical jobs require german here in my country , hence the question). if so, it might be nice to know that ancient gnosis and texts about hermes are often built upon latin texts. and lucky you german is easier then that. so if you know some german it might be an idea to try to read those texts with a view as if one would read german.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
stumbled upon this website after watching too many ESOTERICA videos and Duncan Trussel stuff on Youtube.
Welcome, and when you said this, do you mean you started looking for books after watching those videos and then stumbled across WF, or was there a comment on one of the videos? Just curious.

Xavi

Visitor
Reaction score
hi there, nice to meet you. you say you have a technical background, have you perhaps learned some german ( technical jobs require german here in my country , hence the question). if so, it might be nice to know that ancient gnosis and texts about hermes are often built upon latin texts. and lucky you german is easier then that. so if you know some german it might be an idea to try to read those texts with a view as if one would read german.
With Spanish as a first language, I believe that'd land me closer to Latin's roots

Welcome, and when you said this, do you mean you started looking for books after watching those videos and then stumbled across WF, or was there a comment on one of the videos? Just curious.
Indeed I started looking for books after hearing about the material online. I landed here by mere chance after looking for a PDF on rituals.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Tru, but then youll have the trouble of having to go tru the role of oppressor. German would give you the view of builders and technicians, but also musicians and psychologists.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm Xavi, from Mexico.
I'm 29.

I come from a heavily technical background and stumbled upon this website after watching too many ESOTERICA videos and Duncan Trussel stuff on Youtube.
I have a genuine interest in this stuff from a historical, philosophical and theological purview. Big nerd over here ngl.

I bought the Corpus Hermeticum and can't get past half of that little book since I truly cannot grasp what it is trying to tell me.

Nice to meet you!

I strongly recommend listening to
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
especially the episodes on Platonism and the corpus hermeticum, though it’s best to hear the whole thing from the start. Being able to read these texts in context makes a massive difference.

Xavi

Visitor
Reaction score
I strongly recommend listening to
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
especially the episodes on Platonism and the corpus hermeticum, though it’s best to hear the whole thing from the start. Being able to read these texts in context makes a massive difference.
Thanks!

From my little exploration into these topics so far, it does look like Plato is somebody I shoud look into.
I'll have the podcast playing today

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I'm Xavi, from Mexico.
I'm 29.

Nice to meet you!

Greetings---the Corpus Hermeticum is pretty dense without some background. Personally I found "Magic as a Science of Self" a pretty good lead-in. (Edited by Julius Evola, a series of articles from the long defunct journal UR.) Maybe you could start a thread asking for how to get into the corpus.

Whereabouts in Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.