• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Hey, HERE's A QUERY!

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Taking my inspiration from another thread, when is the last time you saw or heard the word "dichotomy" when it was not prefaced by the word "false"? EVER? Really, I bet this very moment in Starbucks, when the barrista asks "Decaf or regular," Josh Foodlander will peer down his proboscis and sneer, "Really now, isn't that a false dichotomy?"

The last time I recall hearing "dichotomy" thusly au naturel must've been the night the punkawallah plaintively crooned to my sometime partner in prose, Rudyard Kipling hisself, "Alive or dead, effendi. There is no other way." And Rudy sighed, "And thusly the son of Ramakrishna besought of me/ How to straddle life's eternal dichotomy." A rhyme wretched enough for the Raj to turn us both out of the subcontinent.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Personally I do not prefer dichotomies. Binary thinking is rather black and white - but wherever I look I see color.

Binary thinking is like standing on two legs - only possible when actively managed.

Would 3 legs allow humans to sleep without falling over?

Ternary thinking is perhaps the simplest that could be recommended

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Personally I do not prefer dichotomies. Binary thinking is rather black and white - but wherever I look I see color.

Binary thinking is like standing on two legs - only possible when actively managed.

Would 3 legs allow humans to sleep without falling over?

Ternary thinking is perhaps the simplest that could be recommended
True 'nuff. But when the conductor on the train asks, "You comin' or not?" dichotomy-time kicks in.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
when you know how to play chess and the other party goes crazy, sadly...

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
when you know how to play chess and the other party goes crazy, sadly...
You'd still win by forfeit, right?
Wait, wait...in the West, the crazy guy would win because he's arguably the victim. The "courageous" one making hix "powerful" statement and all.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
its called a winning team ;)
or holding two opposing thoughts, the grey ness of life....
harut and marut lost and i had to bring them back to babylon, only to see there was a male acting like a woman. i castrated him and put a female at the top. man with beard, uhuh. a crone proud of her bodily hair.