• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How did you get into Magic?

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Hihi, all needs english. Im just a warned member.

Read my about page. Lately im creating plasma balls to play 4d soccer with some djinn.

Reaction score
I was born into it, then synchronicity. Then bad choices and crazy life experiences. Then it found me. Then I found it. Then I found a copy of the golden dawn on my book shelf in a time of calamity in my early 20s after practicing casual chaos magick and skipping through some Crowley works in my teenage years and I delved right into that. I never stopped with my path, it’s almost a decade later now. A lot more happened to that like my dream about yoga that helped me heal from childhood sexual abuse, which was a year before I started my ritual magick, and my yoga practice is a part of that too. And how my mental health and trauma helped pioneer the pathway to learning energy work, mindfulness and meditation to engage in working a magical current.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
By a Kundalini disaster experience :)

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Messed around with chaos sigils back in the day while reading a lot of Castaneda and other non-practical spiritual books. That I'm turning again to magic is all due to the Gallery of Magic, they made everything look so easy... now I've realized it's not so easy after all, at least not for my major ongoing problems. That doesn't mean I'll be going full-on traditionalist now but I'm building up a daily practice that will hopefully give my magical endeavors a much-needed boost.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Via politics. I read a reference to Julius Evola, started in on his political works, then stumbled onto his publications in the long-defunct magickal journal UR.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Unsatisfied with Judeo-Christian answers, and felt there was more. Got into Damien Echols’ style of Magick which is ceremonial with an energy work focus.

Jiggywiggy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Two things:

Mushroom trip. Accidentally astral'd myself and talked to a spirit.

Second was when I got my brother to do DMT, he also astral'd while I took care of his body. Got bored and went outside for a smoke when I heard a gong in the distance. After he woke up all he remembered was a gong sounds as the trip was over (he wouldn't of heard the gong as he was inside passed out). Super creepy stuff.

I_am_suprised

Neophyte
Reaction score
I had left my religion and was a complete materialist, but I was really into meditation and spiritual practice. I would just do mindfulness but on occasion I would branch out. If you're into meditation and yoga, and read a lot of books on the subject you are bound to come across over practices, that from my perspective at the time, were complete bullshit. Tried a lot of new age law of attraction stuff, which never worked for me.

I started noticing that I was really attracted to exoteric practice. I would get curious, practice a few things, then push it all away. At first I pushed it away because it was satanic, then because it didn't fit into a no supernatural worldview.

One day I got curious and ran into sigil magick. I cast a sigil, then change occured. I did it again, it worked, then I did it again, and it still worked. I tried some gallery of magick books, they worked as well. I realized I may have stumbled into something life-changing. I was 22, no job, living at home, no friends, life was terrible. The following year became the most productive in my life with the use of magick. Now magick is a permanent part of my life.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It all started with my initial interest of it being probably the same as most people when they hear the word "magic".

Wonder over the idea of something that could grant people the chance to have power to change reality(literally).
Of course, I was a teenager back then so it was mostly all about "power" and the freedom said power apparently gave to the users of magic.

When I got older I kept thinking about the power attributed to magic, but my interest matured into the power to change, to grow(because I believe that with magic, the goals are mere temporary desires while the path towards them is the actual magic happening) myself into the person I wanted to be:

Someone strong, wise, witty, resourceful and self-reliant.

And then I started to get interested in it from a social/cultural aspect as well.It's amazing to see how people from other places and eras understood "magic" and it's power over reality, how that shaped themselves and their societies.