• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] How to meet occultists IRL

Someone's asking for help!
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
Hey, do you guys know how to meet occultists IRL? My first instinct was to go to an occult shop and take a class or something, but all the people at the shop I checked out looked like out of shape fucked up sjw redditor freaks. You know the lolcow guy Chris Chan? Kinda like that. It's like; how good can your magick possibly be if you're in that state? I wanna meet real occultists that do real magick and actually get results and are able better their lives, not hobbyists or posers. I thought about joining a local temple order, but they require you to be covid vaccinated. Screw that noise. To be fair, I haven't been to every occult shop in my city. Should I just keep looking around? No one knows I'm an occultist. I keep my practice hidden, but it would be nice to have someone else to talk to.
 

MorganBlack

Apostle
Joined
Nov 18, 2024
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
2,778
Awards
13
LOL That reminds me.

You had ONE job. To a tee almost everyone in the LHP scene, and many in the magic community failed here. I was like, "Whelp, whatever you're doing, it's not working." :)


IkKtr5c.png
 

Accipeveldare

Disciple
Joined
Jun 13, 2024
Messages
657
Reaction score
875
Awards
12
Hey, do you guys know how to meet occultists IRL? My first instinct was to go to an occult shop and take a class or something, but all the people at the shop I checked out looked like out of shape fucked up sjw redditor freaks. You know the lolcow guy Chris Chan? Kinda like that. It's like; how good can your magick possibly be if you're in that state? I wanna meet real occultists that do real magick and actually get results and are able better their lives, not hobbyists or posers. I thought about joining a local temple order, but they require you to be covid vaccinated. Screw that noise. To be fair, I haven't been to every occult shop in my city. Should I just keep looking around? No one knows I'm an occultist. I keep my practice hidden, but it would be nice to have someone else to talk to.
Perhaps the reason you have never met one is because the ones who are truly like that actually understand how viruses work and dont want your cooties. 😆

In all seriousness though. A "real occultist" as you put it is likely to be very careful who they speak to on the subject. Most people like the ones you speak of are the ones who never announce themselves directly. But, they are also the most perceptive of who around them may be the same way. I have a feeling that if any "real occultist" around you thought that you were worth their time, they would have reached out first.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
Perhaps the reason you have never met one is because the ones who are truly like that actually understand how viruses work and dont want your cooties. 😆

In all seriousness though. A "real occultist" as you put it is likely to be very careful who they speak to on the subject. Most people like the ones you speak of are the ones who never announce themselves directly. But, they are also the most perceptive of who around them may be the same way. I have a feeling that if any "real occultist" around you thought that you were worth their time, they would have reached out first.
Yeah, thank you so much for your insightful contribution to the thread, you condescending douche. Really. Thanks.
 

TransGothGirl

Neophyte
Warned
Joined
Jun 12, 2026
Messages
28
Reaction score
59
Off topic
Step one is to stop being such a closed minded douche. Step two is to get educated on how the vaccine works and to get vaccinated, or the only people who will want to interact with you will be the ones just at stupid as you are.
 

Faria

Acolyte
Joined
Jan 23, 2024
Messages
300
Reaction score
604
Awards
5
the only people who will want to interact with you will be the ones just at stupid as you are.

Sometimes all it takes to find sane people is a four hour drive.

I'm in a town of 900 people and it's a mix of blue hairs and purple hairs. Politics are blue like the sky in June. People wearing masks outdoors. Mandatory Pride flags.

But every year I make a four hour drive to a real hippy festival where the rainbow means something deeper. Tens of thousands of people freezing on the mountainside tripping balls. And you know what they ALL say? Every single one of the many I asked over the years? They love Donald Trump. They love America.

So don't feel like you're alone, whichever side of the mountains you happen to metaphorically be on, just remember there's people on the other side who might feel a wholly different way. Find your people, theyre out there somewhere.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
Sometimes all it takes to find sane people is a four hour drive.

I'm in a town of 900 people and it's a mix of blue hairs and purple hairs. Politics are blue like the sky in June. People wearing masks outdoors. Mandatory Pride flags.

But every year I make a four hour drive to a real hippy festival where the rainbow means something deeper. Tens of thousands of people freezing on the mountainside tripping balls. And you know what they ALL say? Every single one of the many I asked over the years? They love Donald Trump. They love America.

So don't feel like you're alone, whichever side of the mountains you happen to metaphorically be on, just remember there's people on the other side who might feel a wholly different way. Find your people, theyre out there somewhere.
Thanks, man. I'll keep looking. :)
 

oregano

Neophyte
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Messages
31
Reaction score
27
look how the demons are like making you guys argue instead of meeting other occultists irl and possibly building strong alliances that provide a strong foundation of protection against the spiritual forces that seek humanity's fall into ruin

kind of cool. like that Denzel Washington movie Fallen but on the real internet
 

Accipeveldare

Disciple
Joined
Jun 13, 2024
Messages
657
Reaction score
875
Awards
12
Yeah, thank you so much for your insightful contribution to the thread, you condescending douche. Really. Thanks.
My friend. The reason I said that is because, often times the ones who judge those who may be confused are the exact same way themselves. You came in here insulting the people you deem "hobbyists" or "posers" and judged someone simply due to their username. The people who get results are the ones that dont judge the confused or the ones that misunderstand what the work is about because they dont have time to and also because instead of looking down on them, they often see them as equals and wish them to reach their full potentials. You see, the "real occultists" are often the most loving, and non-judgemental people you will find. You want to find "real occultists"? Then I suggest you raise yourself to their standards. Because if not, you are simply going to end up in cahoots with those you judge so much.

If you want my absolute honest advice. The "real occultists" are either laughing or weeping at your ignorance.

Blessings, friend.
 

ZanySpirtist

Apprentice
Joined
Feb 22, 2026
Messages
87
Reaction score
86
It's very simple. Just hang out your shingle - inform people, discreetly, you're into the occult, and then you'll either get a "WT heck" reaction or "oh, so am I TBH" and then you're best occult buddies forever. :D

And yeah, being a nice, reasonable person, despite being a big bad master of the occult, would help as well.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
judged someone simply due to their username.
Dude, they started talking shit first.
If you want my absolute honest advice. The "real occultists" are either laughing or weeping at your ignorance.

Blessings, friend.
Douche.
Post automatically merged:

It's very simple. Just hang out your shingle - inform people, discreetly, you're into the occult, and then you'll either get a "WT heck" reaction or "oh, so am I TBH" and then you're best occult buddies forever. :D

And yeah, being a nice, reasonable person, despite being a big bad master of the occult, would help as well.
But I keep it hidden, I don't wanna let it slip out. I never said I was a master, I got a ways to go, but at the very least I have some fundamentals down. You know what? I'm just gonna hit up hagith and ask to introduce the right people to my life and I'll keep going to different shops and try to separate the sheep from the wolves. There. Show's over. Everyone go to bed. Goodnight.
 
Last edited:

Wintruz

Acolyte
Joined
Nov 4, 2023
Messages
476
Reaction score
1,994
Awards
16
Hey, do you guys know how to meet occultists IRL? My first instinct was to go to an occult shop and take a class or something, but all the people at the shop I checked out looked like out of shape fucked up sjw redditor freaks. You know the lolcow guy Chris Chan? Kinda like that. It's like; how good can your magick possibly be if you're in that state? I wanna meet real occultists that do real magick and actually get results and are able better their lives, not hobbyists or posers. I thought about joining a local temple order, but they require you to be covid vaccinated. Screw that noise. To be fair, I haven't been to every occult shop in my city. Should I just keep looking around? No one knows I'm an occultist. I keep my practice hidden, but it would be nice to have someone else to talk to.
I am forcefully reminded (and amused!) of when I, as a teenager, felt the awakening and had been reading old magical books. All Crowleyana with a touch of Dennis Wheatley (aristocratic black magicians collecting Ming vases and meeting at Monégasque mansions). Then I met "occultists in real life" (the O.T.O.) and realised quickly that my approach was... perhaps normal for 1890, less so for 2007. Remember, the patron of magic, Mercury, is a logos-centric force. Is it a surprise that many of his acolytes live inside their heads more than the outer world?

I did, eventually, find an environment better suited to my more "Dark Academia" tastes. Generally speaking the serious LHP groups (the sort who will delete your application without further thought at the sight of "kinda" or mentions of "lolcows") take aesthetic concerns more seriously than your average occult bookshop purveyor and there's tremendous respect for the magical idea of "work from the outside in". In other words, use mastering the world as means of mastering oneself. After years there, I am less judgemental of the occult bookshop class (it's a universal thing by the way and has been for decades - I'm told "neckbeard occultists" was a trope even forty years ago). Granted, judgements coming from them of "shallow Leo", "attached to the corporeal", etc. would quickly see me confronting them with their shortcomings but, beyond that, they are a type that's needed and part of the tapestry of creation. To despise them for being themselves is like despising a bird for flying. I accept them for where they are while being glad that I'm not there with them.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
I am forcefully reminded (and amused!) of when I, as a teenager, felt the awakening and had been reading old magical books. All Crowleyana with a touch of Dennis Wheatley (aristocratic black magicians collecting Ming vases and meeting at Monégasque mansions). Then I met "occultists in real life" (the O.T.O.) and realised quickly that my approach was... perhaps normal for 1890, less so for 2007. Remember, the patron of magic, Mercury, is a logos-centric force. Is it a surprise that many of his acolytes live inside their heads more than the outer world?

I did, eventually, find an environment better suited to my more "Dark Academia" tastes. Generally speaking the serious LHP groups (the sort who will delete your application without further thought at the sight of "kinda" or mentions of "lolcows") take aesthetic concerns more seriously than your average occult bookshop purveyor and there's tremendous respect for the magical idea of "work from the outside in". In other words, use mastering the world as means of mastering oneself. After years there, I am less judgemental of the occult bookshop class (it's a universal thing by the way and has been for decades - I'm told "neckbeard occultists" was a trope even forty years ago). Granted, judgements coming from them of "shallow Leo", "attached to the corporeal", etc. would quickly see me confronting them with their shortcomings but, beyond that, they are a type that's needed and part of the tapestry of creation. To despise them for being themselves is like despising a bird for flying. I accept them for where they are while being glad that I'm not there with them.
So, how'd you end up finding those fancy pants LHP groups?
 

dzb10035

Zealot
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Messages
105
Reaction score
201
Awards
1
Sometimes the best way to do it is to give others the opportunity to show themselves to you. In 2024, I was in a similar position as you and I decided to start a meetup group in my own city that caters to occult and spirituality. Of course, I got a lot of new age folks because I added the word "spirituality" to the title, but this also helps increase the drag net a bit more since there is always a lot of overlap in these areas.

In the process, I was radically honest about what I was offering from the occult side, which is something that might be at odds with what a few others have said. Unless you live in a place where identifying yourself as an occultist could be dangerous for yourself, then the only real risk you run is people judging you as a "freak" or something similar. If you are okay with that, then you can do this.

Just know that if you do this approach, you will probably want to be more open to all types of people who join. I understand you want to exclude certain groups of people, and that is your prerogative, but it helps to foster an open ended community that feels safe to come to your group. Invariably, the "real occultists" will come and you can then make friends 1-1 with such people. The important part is to be radically honest about what you put out. If you want the occultists, then don't be afraid to jump straight into topics like grimoires, demons, and magick directly. There is no need to sugar coat what you are looking for and this will be the quickest way to attract the correct people to yourself.

One final caveat is that you will want to be open minded to anyone who joins. Even if you are searching for LHP people specifically, then you should be open to people other walks of the occult life. Having a reputation for being a safe haven for all occultists will help the right types of folks to come and join you.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
22
Sometimes the best way to do it is to give others the opportunity to show themselves to you. In 2024, I was in a similar position as you and I decided to start a meetup group in my own city that caters to occult and spirituality. Of course, I got a lot of new age folks because I added the word "spirituality" to the title, but this also helps increase the drag net a bit more since there is always a lot of overlap in these areas.

In the process, I was radically honest about what I was offering from the occult side, which is something that might be at odds with what a few others have said. Unless you live in a place where identifying yourself as an occultist could be dangerous for yourself, then the only real risk you run is people judging you as a "freak" or something similar. If you are okay with that, then you can do this.

Just know that if you do this approach, you will probably want to be more open to all types of people who join. I understand you want to exclude certain groups of people, and that is your prerogative, but it helps to foster an open ended community that feels safe to come to your group. Invariably, the "real occultists" will come and you can then make friends 1-1 with such people. The important part is to be radically honest about what you put out. If you want the occultists, then don't be afraid to jump straight into topics like grimoires, demons, and magick directly. There is no need to sugar coat what you are looking for and this will be the quickest way to attract the correct people to yourself.

One final caveat is that you will want to be open minded to anyone who joins. Even if you are searching for LHP people specifically, then you should be open to people other walks of the occult life. Having a reputation for being a safe haven for all occultists will help the right types of folks to come and join you.
I think you're right. Maybe if I put out a blanket request for spiritual types to meet with me, the right person will come along. Maybe I can even convert the new age types to magick and show them a thing or two. But, it's just, sigh I hate having to do everything. No one taught me anything, I had to look everything up myself. Why do I have to teach other people? Where's my mentor? My master miyagi that teaches me shit and makes things easy for me? When I think about how quickly I could catch someone up to my level compared to how long it took me to learn everything on my own, it rubs me the wrong way. Sometimes having Saturn as a chart ruler is a real pain in the ass. Whatever. If it has to be done it has to be done. I just wish I had my own big bro figure that showed me the way and took out all the guesswork and saved me time.
 

dzb10035

Zealot
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Messages
105
Reaction score
201
Awards
1
I relate to you on that, but unfortunately this is the way the world is when you like something that is niche and often necessary to keep quiet about. Maybe you could try to spin it in a positive light - you get to (eventually) choose your own people to hang out with from the bigger group. I have found that being a community leader in such a group gives you a lot of choice in who you can hang out with and if you do it correctly, people trust you much more easily when you try to tap them to hang out 1-1. I already made 3-4 good quality occult friends that way and that's a lot better than trying to find the needle in the haystack.

Just know that you really need to drive the community and it requires a consistent engagement. It took me about 2 years to get it to become a self-running machine, but I reckon I could have started hanging out with people much earlier if I tried. I stayed on the cautious side to ensure trust was high in me before I tried to pitch to people for 1-1 hangouts. But again, I think I could have even done this in the first year.

One thing I might add is that if you do up finding the "SJW" redditor folks, they should also be treated as members of the group if they decide to join. No judgement intended, but filtering people out should be subtle and these types of people will definitely join your group over time. A group likes this needs members of all types in order to thrive and build the necessary reputation needed in order to attract more people. You need to remember that it is effectively a self-functioning dragnet that finds the correct people for you.

And yes I get that it is annoying to not have a mentor figure. I managed to find several people who could act as a mentor figure for me through this approach, so you might find yours if you look hard enough. I have just learned that often times, you really need to do the stuff yourself to get what you want. People tend to be passive and not find what they are really looking for, so there are probably a ton of occult minded people who are just waiting to be given an opportunity to come out and play. But they are waiting for someone like you to give them a place and a voice to do so. In time, you end up becoming master miyagi to other people and this can also be quite freeing.

People can also teach each other things. You would be surprised how much I learned from the new age folks when it comes to things like energy work, intuition, creativity, and psychic abilities. You and I might not agree with how they approach spirituality, but they also have a ton to offer when it comes to important skills needed in Occult practice.
 

MorganBlack

Apostle
Joined
Nov 18, 2024
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
2,778
Awards
13
There’s been a distinct shift from the 1990s to now. My pro-working-class Gen-X lefty politics is considered downright barbaric now. I was always a bit more classically-influenced - strong mind in a strong body, magician-artist-philosopher-warrior ideal - and I thought that was just part of the balance we sought. I understand that is all right-coded now, so if you like history and lift weights, you are suspect.

Seemed like many I knew who took magic seriously has some military background, D&D, and heavy metal influence. Man, did that change over the years as self-indulgence became the norm and was justified with Millennial therapy-speak. Not condemn too strongly (but with the harshest of words) , but the group-think is strong, very strong.
 
Top