• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Incense vs oil diffusers vs plants and flowers

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
What is your opinion on using plants for ceremonial purposes, such as lavendar and rose, fresh sage and basil vs diffused oils or burning incense?

Until I have my own place, Im barred from use of candles or incense, as they're not approved of for a variety of reasons.

Ive thought of anointing myself after a ritual shower with essential oils, as another way around the issue.

Since I go often to the grocery store, I could use plant correspondences and use them in place of oils (expensive, money I dont have) or burning incense.

So, according to the grade correspondences, patchouli (earth), jasmine (air), lavendar (water), rose (fire), cinnamon (spirit). For banishing and protection, basil and sage kept in fresh water sprinkled and waved in the quarters (ritual opening and closing).

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
What is your opinion on using plants for ceremonial purposes, such as lavendar and rose, fresh sage and basil vs diffused oils or burning incense?

Until I have my own place, Im barred from use of candles or incense, as they're not approved of for a variety of reasons.

Ive thought of anointing myself after a ritual shower with essential oils, as another way around the issue.

Since I go often to the grocery store, I could use plant correspondences and use them in place of oils (expensive, money I dont have) or burning incense.

So, according to the grade correspondences, patchouli (earth), jasmine (air), lavendar (water), rose (fire), cinnamon (spirit). For banishing and protection, basil and sage kept in fresh water sprinkled and waved in the quarters (ritual opening and closing).

Can you use an Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser?

I understand the part about not using anything you have to ignite.

But they do make frankincense and myrrh essential oils for instance and many other scents appropriate for Ceremonial purposes.

I'm not sure if they also have ones that are topically for the skin but you might find some if you search around.

You could also make some Holy Water or Florida water and use that to asperge your space at the start of a rituals.

Just kick things off with a 'Hekas, Hekas, Este Bebeloi' from the NE corner while you go around the room with the water etc.

Edit: Meant to add you can get a decent size bottle of frankincense and myrrh essential oil for under $10 and they last a decent amount of time in a diffuser.

Reaction score
Awards
Unfortunately, no go on oil diffusers. Cant use here like incense or candles (allergies and Cali fire risk). Its why I was thinking of flowers and fresh herbs that correspond to workings. Or wearing/anointing myself with oil;s, which is still an issue due to personal poverty.
Or I go without and use electric candles.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I say go for it! You might find that it is surprisingly more effective. For my lodge work a live rose is mandatory. Sometimes the flower isn’t particularly fragrant, so it gets sprayed with rose scented perfume.

We also use incense granules (Jerusalem mix) but personally I find that the smoke can be distracting. The scent/smoke always catches in my throat and if I don’t bring a bottle of water I’ll cough up a lung during the ceremony.

Reaction score
Awards
Well, thank you @Lazarus and @stratamaster78 ... a few ideas on how to handle the ceremonial aspects within the graces of being a guest.
I still have to whisper or use The Great Voice (directed thought and will with internal voice), to do my Formulas, but on times where its just me and the kitty, I use my normal voice.
I figure it might be seen as odd, but it doesnt seem to be an ill guest by using plants/strands of herbs in water or flowers in water.

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Well, thank you @Lazarus and @stratamaster78 ... a few ideas on how to handle the ceremonial aspects within the graces of being a guest.
I still have to whisper or use The Great Voice (directed thought and will with internal voice), to do my Formulas, but on times where its just me and the kitty, I use my normal voice.
I figure it might be seen as odd, but it doesnt seem to be an ill guest by using plants/strands of herbs in water or flowers in water.
If your hosts have no qualms with you practicing magic, I really don’t see how using plants and herbs would be overstepping any boundaries.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Unfortunately, no go on oil diffusers. Cant use here like incense or candles (allergies and Cali fire risk). Its why I was thinking of flowers and fresh herbs that correspond to workings. Or wearing/anointing myself with oil;s, which is still an issue due to personal poverty.
Or I go without and use electric candles.

Hey @Diluculo_DelFuego I'm sorry I meant to specify an Oil Diffuser in the form of a Water based 'Mist Humidifier'.

I'll PM you the link for the one I have.

It's less than $15.

You just put water in it and plug it in and then a few drops of the essential oil and it mists the fragrance in your space until all the water evaporates. You can even set it to a Color that aligns with the Energy you are tuning the space to.

I forgot that nowadays most people associate 'Oil Diffuser' with those heated wax melt things.....yeah I didn't mean that.

BloodOfBakula

Neophyte
Reaction score

I'm, basically, allergic to everything now - so I use olive oil.

It's plain enough, about $1-$2 for a small bottle, and not spoken against in most workings.

Reaction score
Awards
Question ... according to The Alchemists Handbook, from Chap 2 The Lesser Circulation,

To begin with, the selection of herbs for medicinal purposes must be known to the aspirant. This means a fair understanding of herbs and their uses.
How to Collect and Prepare Plants
The different parts of plants should be gathered when their peculiar juices are most abundant in them.

Barks
The barks of either trunk, branches, or roots should be peeled from young trees in autumn or early spring. After shaving off the outer portion of the bark, cut thinly.and place in a good position in the shade to dry.

Roots
These should be dug after the leaves are dead in the fall at which time all the strength has gone down into the root. But better still, dig them in early spring before the sap rises.

Seeds and Flowers
Onlv after they are fully ripened and in full bloom should seeds and' flowers, respectively, be gathered. Then they should be dried quickly in the shade.

Medicinal Plants
These should be taken while in blossom for best results, but can be gathered at any time before the frost comes. Dry quickly in the shade.

Leaves
Leaves should be collected while the plant is in flower. Dry quickly.

Fruits and Berries
These should be picked when fully ripe. Dry quickly."
[2] The progressive student will learn later on at what planetary times herbs should be gathered.

One of the best methods for drying herbs is to spread them thinly on clean paper, preferably on the floor, over which a constant stream of fresh air can pass.

Herbs. or all vegetable medicines, should be kept in a dry and dark place. Tin cans are to be preferred to other containers for storing powders. Roots are best kept in covered boxes. Tinctures and extracts should be kept in dark glass bottles to protect them from the action of light.

Let us suppose then that the herb known as Balm, Lemonbalm, or Melissa (Melisa officinalis) has been selected. After the selection of the desired herb from which the true alchemical medicinal potencies shall be derived, we shall now consider the principle ways of ob- taining an extract. They are as follows:
1. Maceration
The fresh or dried herb is soaked in water and left standing in room temperature.
2. Circulation
The fresh or dried herb is circulated (percolated). This is accomplished by having a condenser over the flask which lets the moisture condense and drip back into the bottom container. It then repeats this process which is also known as reflux.
3. Extraction
The fresh or dried herb is put in a thimble and both are placed in a Soxhlet Extractor for extraction.

Either of the three procedures can be used to obtain an extract. Water, Alcohol or Ether may be used as extraction media (menstrum). The above three ways are chiefly employed to obtain the extract or the tincture. A tincture derived from a distillation with water does not contain as much of the essential essence of the herb as the macerated herbal extract obtained by immersion in alcohol or ether. To obtain all possible essence, including the oily substance inherent in the herb, the latter method, that by extracting it in an extraction apparatus
(Soxhlet or other), is preferable,"

So if all I have at hand are dried and or ground herbs, is it sufficient to mix the herbs and then add a light amount of water, or make a potpourri, and drain the raw leftover potpourri water into a glass and set it high in the room away from light?

Reaction score
Awards
Okay, so then based on the scenario (no candles, insense or oil diffusers allowed due to fire concerns and allergy concerns), if plants and flowers (including kitchen herbs) are all I hve to ork with, then if setting a glass of water with dried herbs in it with just enough water to cover is a no go, then draining off the potpourri water is next best solution to wearing scented oils?

Bluesoft

Neophyte
Reaction score
Maybe is not what you are asking but....

Why about flower tea's? I mean, change the mode to work with them but if you drink them you can get the benefits, medicinally and spiritually.

Btw i work making herb incenses, its a shame that you can use them, the smell is totally different that any other think bough in a fancy supermarket
Tea's are the best btw, i stop to used pharma, i have different herbs for a different purposes.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Until I have my own place, Im barred from use of candles or incense,
Had a kind of out-there thought about your situation.

So there's a common technique in the PGM for transmuting ordinary ingredients into magical ones. It's basically:
  1. Identify the substance, call it by its name
  2. Take away its identity
  3. Give it its new, fancier identity.
So for eg:
  1. Wine, you are wine.
  2. You are not wine,
  3. you are the blood of the minotaur.
I have used this successfully by putting my own words into the formula, eg

Candle, you are a candle.
You are not a candle, you are the light of Shamash as he traverses the underworld.

I'm working with a lot of PGM stuff so maybe that makes it more effective, but would it be crazy to go, like,

"Lamp, you are a lamp. You are not a lamp, you are a beeswax candle with a steady golden flame."

"Lemon wedge, you are a lemon wedge. You are not a lemon wedge, you are frankincense resin, burning in a censer" (frankincense smells lemony plus its a solar incense so the yellow lemon would be appropriate)

Idk, possibly crazy!!

On your specific question about fresh rose, lavender, sage etc, I actually think these are probably better than incense. Fresh flowers would have been unavailable to anyone who wasn't very wealthy (you would either have to grow your own, which is a luxury since it's not a food crop, or send servants to the nearest lavender farm every week for fresh lavender. And it wouldn't be available in the wrong season. Drying it out (turning it into incense) was probably a storage necessity, when they didn't have global market infrastructure and hydroponic farms. But they would have bloody LOVED regular fresh flowers if they could got their hands on them, I reckon. (Whereas frankincense, myrrh, and styrax do need to be in resins and don't have "fresh" equivalents)