• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilúvatar

Visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just registered to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

I picked Ilúvatar as my avatar name because I happened to have just started Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Not a bad segue, because I became interested in Tolkien's works as a boy, which kindled an interest in myth and magic which I still have to this day. That led to Dungeons and Dragons (I grew up in the 1980s) and that led me eventually to the occult.

My initial introduction to magic, as I suppose it is for many, was via Crowley. That infatuation lasted a few years, but then I dropped it and didn't do anything with magic for years and years. Instead I pursued the spiritual ideas of George Gurdjieff and "eastern" wisdom via Alan Watts.

Eventually, I came back to magic through Agrippa. And then I started to devour the grimoires and experiment with them and so here I am. I would say I'm most interested in the older magic these days, like Renaissance and older, but I'm not dogmatic about and remain curious about all kinds of magical systems and ideas. My own practice continues to evolve.

Thank you for the forum! I expect to learn much and I hope contribute something.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the forum :)

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I like that name, I'm familiar with Tolkien's work. The Hobbit was ok.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

I just registered to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

I picked Ilúvatar as my avatar name because I happened to have just started Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Not a bad segue, because I became interested in Tolkien's works as a boy, which kindled an interest in myth and magic which I still have to this day. That led to Dungeons and Dragons (I grew up in the 1980s) and that led me eventually to the occult.

My initial introduction to magic, as I suppose it is for many, was via Crowley. That infatuation lasted a few years, but then I dropped it and didn't do anything with magic for years and years. Instead I pursued the spiritual ideas of George Gurdjieff and "eastern" wisdom via Alan Watts.

Eventually, I came back to magic through Agrippa. And then I started to devour the grimoires and experiment with them and so here I am. I would say I'm most interested in the older magic these days, like Renaissance and older, but I'm not dogmatic about and remain curious about all kinds of magical systems and ideas. My own practice continues to evolve.

Thank you for the forum! I expect to learn much and I hope contribute something.
Agrippa: good choice!

I never got into Tolkien. In high school too many classmates vanished into his tomes never to re-emerge. But I was dragged to a couple of the films and suffered. Oddly, about 6-7 years back there was a Tolkien biopic I loved. So, yeah, he exerts an attraction one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.