• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Is solomons circle necessary? What alternatives are there?

Someone's asking for help!

Baal

Bigus Dikus
Reaction score
Its a huge hassle to get solomons circle right, especially the colors. I have been thinking of discarding the circle and I feel the spirits would appreciate that. What alternatives are there to Solomons way of evoking spirits?

Reaction score
Awards
The demonologist way doesn't require them, and two have reported very hard interactions with some spirits that hate Solomonic practices to evoke them.

There are circle cloths you can buy.

There is also the Golden Dawn method of evocation that requires consecrated four elemental weapons, plus a consecrated sword for use, where the tip of the blade rests on the spirit sigil.

My advice is don't rush into it, only fools rush in.

Reaction score
Awards
Its a huge hassle to get solomons circle right, especially the colors. I have been thinking of discarding the circle and I feel the spirits would appreciate that. What alternatives are there to Solomons way of evoking spirits?
Is it necessary? No…. But since the reason is “it’s a huge hassle” (which it is) I would advise caution. My standard advise is to learn to do the ritual as written before you go monkeying around with it.

Now with that said -

The truth is, there really aren’t any absolutely necessary specific items with magick. More than one way to skin a cat and all of that jazz.

You could use tools, you could work on yourself more, prepare yourself better as has been mentioned. You could try a different system entirely. Work with others. You could try simplifying the circle itself.

For example - Prepare yourself before, abstain, fast, ritually bathe, bring a couple of choice enchanted items with you. Lay out a bare (or almost bare) circle then enter it and speak and visualize the rest of the parts into existence is more than enough to get the job done.

But few things in magic have no purpose so figure out the purpose of the thing you can’t/won’t do and find a way to still fulfill that purpose.

I will say there have been more than a few things I was glad to have something separating me from them. And other times when I cut too many corners and ended up nursing myself back to health with bourbon & broth for a day or two.

Fuck around and find out as they say. Just don’t leave yourself at the mercy of anyone (human, spirit, or animal). Having a handy blasting rod, sword, banishing ritual, etc ready just in case isn’t a bad idea.

-Eld

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
I don't remember where I read this but dont certian spirits lie outside of a circle or something simmilar and the circle forces them to tell the truth.
Not the circle but the triangle, it is not needed for all of them tho. You put them Into the triangle and they cannot lie. You and your companions are the only ones who should enter the circle.

Baal

Bigus Dikus
Reaction score
Not the circle but the triangle, it is not needed for all of them tho. You put them Into the triangle and they cannot lie. You and your companions are the only ones who should enter the circle.
Is it enough to have the triangle laid out flat below my mirror or does it have to be exactly around the mirror like you see in those triangle of art mirror stands?

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
Is it enough to have the triangle laid out flat below my mirror or does it have to be exactly around the mirror like you see in those triangle of art mirror stands?
Flat below works, if i would use a mirror i would put it in the middle of my triangle of art (cloth), keep it within the triangle, if you read the Goetia by JHP about the triangle, it doesn't mention any mirror :)

Baal

Bigus Dikus
Reaction score
Flat below works, if i would use a mirror i would put it in the middle of my triangle of art (cloth), keep it within the triangle, if you read the Goetia by JHP about the triangle, it doesn't mention any mirror :)
So you expect the spirit to physically manifest in front of you? How is that working out?

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
So you expect the spirit to physically manifest in front of you? How is that working out?
As long as the spirit is present, focus on the results and not physical manifestation, i did not see any physical manifestation and i got results, tho i felt and heard so i knew he was present. No need to see to get results :)

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
There are roughly 52 (maybe it's 54?) circles known within Grimoire Tradition, Solomon's (I take it you mean the Goetia circle) is only one of them. Take your pick. You can also do what I do (and what Trithemius did) and use a Table of Practice, which combines the circle and triangle into a portable device. Plenty of practitioners sell them on Etsy and the majority are affordable.

Alternatively you can try a method outside of Western Ceremonialism. Perhaps a folk-style evocation or Shamanic style one.

Tryp

Neophyte
Reaction score
Since you bring up whether the spirits may appreciate something or not, I think it's worth considering alternatives aimed to cooperation, to relationships and pacts. Within the Grimoire Tradition you could have a look at the Grimorium Verum, specially as outlined by Jake Stratton-Kent.

I'd also suggest not necessarily focusing on evocation, but that's a whole different topic.

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
There are roughly 52 (maybe it's 54?)
Wooah why so many ? What is the diffrence between lets say Goetia circle and the heptameron one? Never quite understod why it has so many circles/versions.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Wooah why so many ? What is the diffrence between lets say Goetia circle and the heptameron one? Never quite understod why it has so many circles/versions.
From my viewpoint there are multiple circles due to the Liber Spirituum. Magicians will use one particular method to call the spirits and then with the input of those spirits, come up with an alt method of conjuring those spirits that may be more accessible to magicians in that area. If the spirits agree to that method they sign their name and sigil in the Liber Spirituum. I have a video on the Liber Spirituum. Feel free to check it out (note the video is strictly on the Liber Spirituum so it doesn't answer your question directly but you answer can be found by studying the purpose of the Liber Spirituum)

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I imagine what you use depends on what tradition you belong to. Personally I use a version of the runes, with some personal touches. There seems wide divergence as to what is "necessary." Savedow claims the whole Solomon's circle is an utter necessity. DuQuette claims a piece of clothesline with some suitable verbiage suits him just fine.

If getting the circle right is your big problem, I have heard of people painting the circle onto canvas which is rolled away for future use after each ceremony. That way you only need to "get it right" every...(however many years a piece of painted canvas stays serviceable.)

Calvin_MQ

Neophyte
Reaction score
I heard one circle of salt, one of camphor and one of sulfur works well.