• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Is wealth really the measure of one's magic?

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Lon Milo Duquette is another non-rich magician who I don't think anyone would deny is legit

(He has said, "Based on my lifestyle and personal laziness, I should be BROKE, but I'm always getting by okay" - which is the amount he cares about)

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Lon Milo Duquette is another non-rich magician who I don't think anyone would deny is legit

(He has said, "Based on my lifestyle and personal laziness, I should be BROKE, but I'm always getting by okay" - which is the amount he cares about)
"Money is a high-maintenance mistress."---(probably said by some snooty French guy who was a homey to Voltaire, Diderot, et.al.)

kaikai

Neophyte
Reaction score
Just a couple of physical manifestation videos would trump wealth. Come on make something float in the air or utterly disintegrate a box of cereals!

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
Just a couple of physical manifestation videos would trump wealth. Come on make something float in the air or utterly disintegrate a box of cereals!

To be fair, any magician that can assertively prove magic like that (and not via stage magic) would probably be very rich, or very dead

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
To be fair, any magician that can assertively prove magic like that (and not via stage magic) would probably be very rich, or very dead
He's only rich IF he goes public and turns showman. Besides a first-rate illusionist can seemingly do the same things and nearly no one can tell the difference.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"Based on my lifestyle and personal laziness, I should be BROKE, but I'm always getting by okay" - which is the amount he cares about
"Getting by" in this economy is already good enough.If one can do that with magic then they don't have much to worry about.

Although being able to be safely on the "above getting by" is always preferable.

utterly disintegrate a box of cereals
I don't need magic for that.

make something float in the air
This one would never be a credible proof because of the many ways we already have to make things float on air(be through trickery or science).

I don't know if a magician able to conjure lightning with their hands would surpass someone with a gun...

But it's certainly it the type of magician people first think of when they imagine one.

a first-rate illusionist can seemingly do the same things and nearly no one can tell the difference.
Most illusionists nowadays seem to depend a lot on the props they use rather than just on their skill, angles/positioning also play a hand at some tricks working or not.

I think there would be a massive difference in seeing an illusionist doing a trick and a magician doing it "for real", if they actually are able to do so.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
"Getting by" in this economy is already good enough.If one can do that with magic then they don't have much to worry about.

Although being able to be safely on the "above getting by" is always preferable.

I don't need magic for that.

This one would never be a credible proof because of the many ways we already have to make things float on air(be through trickery or science).

I don't know if a magician able to conjure lightning with their hands would surpass someone with a gun...

But it's certainly it the type of magician people first think of when they imagine one.

Most illusionists nowadays seem to depend a lot on the props they use rather than just on their skill, angles/positioning also play a hand at some tricks working or not.

I think there would be a massive difference in seeing an illusionist doing a trick and a magician doing it "for real", if they actually are able to do so.
Could be, but in what would the massive difference consist? I recall claims that when the stage magician "walked through" the Great Wall about 20 years back, there were claims that microphones actually heard him "moving inside" the Wall.