• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Making Kala​

First let me say that I am not Feri. With that out of the way: In Feri-Witchcraft there's a (daily) cleansing ritual called “making Kala”. According to the Hawaiian dictionary, the word means “To loosen, untie, free, release, remove, unburden, absolve, let go, acquit, take off, undo; to proclaim, announce; to forgive, pardon, excuse; to substitute for (Kin. 22.13); counter-sorcery or sorcerer, proclamation, public crier, announcer; prayer to free one from any evil influence; to practice counter-sorcery”.

In my opinion, the original version of the ritual makes absolutely no sense at all:
You are to fill a chalice with fresh water.
Sit comfortably and focus on all the negativity within.
Bring your palms together and visualize a brown egg forming between them. This egg is the dirt, filth and negativity that you had inside of you and that you are now releasing.
Then, drop this dirty egg in the chalice.
See the water turn muddy, brown, clouded.
See the water bubble and fizz with rainbow colors.
See the water return to its clear and fresh state.
Drink it.

What bothers me in this, is that you first rid yourself of something and then take it back into yourself (after it has been transmutated of course..)

Because Feri practitioners (as far as I know) are mostly homosexual men, I can see how this could work as a way of a ritualized acceptance of traits within. The “filth”, is unburdened, expresses, pardoned, and then accepted.

But that wouldn't work if you are not seeking to accept a thing within that you can not change but instead want to use the ritual as a cleansing to remove negativity or other (minor) issues.

In a line of Feri called the Dustbunnies, they have a variation on this which makes more sense (to me). It is the shower-version. I really like this, made a small adjustment, and have been doing it every day for years:

• At the end of your shower-session, when you have cleaned your body, make a heart with your hands.
  • Hold this over (in front of) your heart.
  • Close your eyes and, as the water of the shower pours through the heart, visualize it as being a rainbow.
  • See how the 7 colors of the rainbow feed / strenghten / cleanse the corresponding planetary centers in your body (your chakra's or sephiroth).
  • As this happens, say a short rhyme or affirmation of your own design. If you need to pee a few drops, then please do and know that you are pissing out the filth.
  • Then turn your hands with the palms up, to make a “cup”, collect some water, and drink it to complete the cleansing.

I tried to find the Dustbunny text but I only found a dead link.

Anyways,
this is a nice daily ritual to add to your morning routine and start your day magickally. With rainbows. Yay!

Know that the rainbow is the sign of the covenant between God and man, and He loves all his children :)

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
maybe its due to privacy. drinking the dirt and peeing it out makes it totally transmuted by yourself alone and when you pee you totally let go of it including the physical dirt accompanied with it. in that sense the outcome would also be private. i also think its a very atheistic way and in that sense maybe more holistic then a theist might think. something to ponder about...

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I've been doing something similar off and on for a lot of years, just a little simpler. Visualize golden energy soaking into your body through the water, and black sludge exiting and running down the drain. I find it clears the "gunk" out, similar to how a tarot deck or ritual item feels better after a good salt scrub.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
drinking the dirt
Yeah, for a daily cleanse I don't think it makes sense but as an affirmation it does. Just depends on what you wish to accomplish with it, so it basically a totally different ritual then.
find it clears the "gunk" out, similar to how a tarot deck or ritual item feels better after a good salt scrub.
Yep 👍

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
to me it makes sense, due to 'nightriders' messing with life. so when you get it out and then eat it, it at the same time heals and scares. its also how i consume power after an attack. as a kid i was really easy when it came to food, so maybe thats why i dont really see a 'problem' in it like you see it.
i also like the darker occult arts, so for me it makes sense to at least taste the dirt. ;)

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
In a line of Feri called the Dustbunnies, they have a variation on this which makes more sense (to me). It is the shower-version.
When I read "shower version" I thought of something I tend to do sometimes when I shower.
I visualize as if "filth" is being "washed away" by the running water, down the drain.
It also works with the feeling of feeling lighter that someone feels after taking a good shower and getting clean.

black sludge exiting and running down the drain.
Interesting to know that there are others that do something similar.
I don't consider it a ritual, more like a "spiritual shower" together with the physical one, but if it works then it works.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
When I saw the thread title "Kala" I immediately thought of Grant's use of the term (from India, not Hawaii, but his own appropriation). I am certain that if he were alive he would be able to link the two uses of the term to a common pre-historical source. Still, interesting practice - I had never thought to take such care, especially with a big spider living in my shower. The mirror thing I can do. I work with a guy who likes to make rainbow heart signs at me as a greeting, and in reply I always flip him off. I'm going to stop doing that.

It's nice that rainbows can be happy again. I think of all the poor confused children who were told they were dirty, going back to Isaac Newton and his prisms.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
That is interesting. Now, do you drink the pee? I have drank the pee before. I heard that we are getting rid of Great nutritions from peeing. So, that's why I sometimes I drink the pee.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I don't. In my opinion the ritual (in the way I do it) you cleanse yourself first from the outside and then you drink some of the "rainbow water" collected in your hands - under the shower.
If you pee after this, then, in my opinion you are squeezing out the last droplets of filth. I don't see a reason to reabsorb this.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I don't. In my opinion the ritual (in the way I do it) you cleanse yourself first from the outside and then you drink some of the "rainbow water" collected in your hands - under the shower.
If you pee after this, then, in my opinion you are squeezing out the last droplets of filth. I don't see a reason to reabsorb this.
I see, thank you for clarifying that.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
When I saw the thread title "Kala" I immediately thought of Grant's use of the term (from India, not Hawaii, but his own appropriation). I am certain that if he were alive he would be able to link the two uses of the term to a common pre-historical source. Still, interesting practice - I had never thought to take such care, especially with a big spider living in my shower. The mirror thing I can do. I work with a guy who likes to make rainbow heart signs at me as a greeting, and in reply I always flip him off. I'm going to stop doing that.

It's nice that rainbows can be happy again. I think of all the poor confused children who were told they were dirty, going back to Isaac Newton and his prisms.
Probably ol' Ken would run the term through his Gematria-o-matic, showing how the numerical value of the Sanskrit for the one term was a multiple of the Hawaiian word rendered into Hebrew, and both were divisible by Pi when you factored in the numerical value of "Aiwass." (As alluded to by H.P. Lovecraft in an unpublished masher note dated 15 Sept, 1923)

Apologies if I stepped on any toes here. Heck, I think Grant has some great stuff. But his rhetorical chariot-team sometimes slips the rein.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Probably ol' Ken would run the term through his Gematria-o-matic, showing how the numerical value of the Sanskrit for the one term was a multiple of the Hawaiian word rendered into Hebrew, and both were divisible by Pi when you factored in the numerical value of "Aiwass." (As alluded to by H.P. Lovecraft in an unpublished masher note dated 15 Sept, 1923)
The secretions of the 16 "kalas" (or 32, if the male reflection is counted) figure heavily in KG's conception of the Left Hand Path due to their importance in sexual magic, as he conceives it rooted in the 93 Current (and the number 11 is a consistent factor). Via his method, of which Therion was an overarching influence, any word similarity (viz, Kala, as a rite) would bolster Grant's theory that there was a primordial cult rooted in prehistoric Africa that spread throughout this globe, was systematized in Egypt and transferred to India as the Tantras. The closest modern manifestations of this original cult are supposed to be reflected in the various African diaspora religions (Voodoo, etc).

As you have pointed out elsewhere Grant is quite dense, and I want to say that he may have addressed Hawaiian practices, at least in passing - at any rate a part of me wonders, but I am not sure if he made mention of Feri. Interestingly, Robert Graves posited a prehistoric Great Mother cult that spread in similar manner as the proto-Tantric African cults, though I am not certain Grant made any direct references to his work.

I would like to note that urine, or "pee" is analogous to one of the Five Meats of Vama Marga Tantrism - that is, it serves a sexual function due to its impurity and transgressive nature. So the association here with purgation can have connection, if one seeks connection. The kalas themselves are alternately vivifying and poisonous, and this has a lunar correlate.

But his rhetorical chariot-team sometimes slips the rein.
I have always found myself rolling my eyes at every other paragraph. The method of his reasoning, however, can be quite useful when the underlying mechanisms - which he himself seemed to suggest are operating quite independently of his own expressions - are understood. That is to say, that Aossic (Grant) is doing something much more than presenting occult theories and connections via gematria, etc. The very act of reading his works can have a metamorphic effect. A theatrical example of this would be John Carpenter's film In the Mouth of Madness.

But I apologize myself by drawing connection to Grant's kalas - I did not want to derail Yazata's thread, I just got tricked by the word "Kala" - and there are no Hawaiians in Carpenter's movie, as far as I can recall.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
The secretions of the 16 "kalas" (or 32, if the male reflection is counted) figure heavily in KG's conception of the Left Hand Path due to their importance in sexual magic, as he conceives it rooted in the 93 Current (and the number 11 is a consistent factor). Via his method, of which Therion was an overarching influence, any word similarity (viz, Kala, as a rite) would bolster Grant's theory that there was a primordial cult rooted in prehistoric Africa that spread throughout this globe, was systematized in Egypt and transferred to India as the Tantras. The closest modern manifestations of this original cult are supposed to be reflected in the various African diaspora religions (Voodoo, etc).

As you have pointed out elsewhere Grant is quite dense, and I want to say that he may have addressed Hawaiian practices, at least in passing - at any rate a part of me wonders, but I am not sure if he made mention of Feri. Interestingly, Robert Graves posited a prehistoric Great Mother cult that spread in similar manner as the proto-Tantric African cults, though I am not certain Grant made any direct references to his work.

I would like to note that urine, or "pee" is analogous to one of the Five Meats of Vama Marga Tantrism - that is, it serves a sexual function due to its impurity and transgressive nature. So the association here with purgation can have connection, if one seeks connection. The kalas themselves are alternately vivifying and poisonous, and this has a lunar correlate.

I have always found myself rolling my eyes at every other paragraph. The method of his reasoning, however, can be quite useful when the underlying mechanisms - which he himself seemed to suggest are operating quite independently of his own expressions - are understood. That is to say, that Aossic (Grant) is doing something much more than presenting occult theories and connections via gematria, etc. The very act of reading his works can have a metamorphic effect. A theatrical example of this would be John Carpenter's film In the Mouth of Madness.

But I apologize myself by drawing connection to Grant's kalas - I did not want to derail Yazata's thread, I just got tricked by the word "Kala" - and there are no Hawaiians in Carpenter's movie, as far as I can recall.
A few remarks on your interesting post here. Yes, Grant makes a great deal of voodoo. Unfortunately ( I think) he relies very heavily on Michael Bertiaux whose scholarship is rather reminiscent of Count Basie's jazz: leap--wait three beats--leap again.

Grant does mention Polynesian practices in passing. Mostly, though, this comes filtered through Lovecraft's tales. He does cite Margret Mead a few times, but in recent years her reputation has fallen on hard times.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
secretions of the 16 "kalas
Ah.. okay. Well, the chalice (as used in the original Feri ritual) is of course a representation of the female, like the wand is that of the male. So maybe the underlying idea tried to come into this world via different people (Grant and the founder of Feri - forgot his name) and thereby had to go through the filter of their different minds. Interesting.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
A few remarks on your interesting post here. Yes, Grant makes a great deal of voodoo. Unfortunately ( I think) he relies very heavily on Michael Bertiaux whose scholarship is rather reminiscent of Count Basie's jazz: leap--wait three beats--leap again.

Grant does mention Polynesian practices in passing. Mostly, though, this comes filtered through Lovecraft's tales. He does cite Margret Mead a few times, but in recent years her reputation has fallen on hard times.
Sorry, jazz-fans. I shoulda' said "jump," not "leap."