• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Journal Lifeforce

A record of a users' progress or achievements in their particular practice.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
3 September---new moon. Time to start on the Thelema section.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Next month's book, Jan Fries' Kali Kaula, looks to be heady stuff. I'm just a few pages in and have perused the TOC to see what's the plan. Fittingly the syllabus pairs this with Crowley's Thelema. Perhaps in a spirit of what the Beast shoulda been?
Webb's Thelema chapter has the useful exercise of mentally evoking one's "better self" throughout the day. He suggests leaving aside notions like "Higher Self" etc. Personally, I emended "better self" into something plagiarized from ol' Goethe. Because rhetoric matter.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Webb's Thelema chapter has the useful exercise of mentally evoking one's "better self" throughout the day. He suggests leaving aside notions like "Higher Self" etc. Personally, I emended "better self" into something plagiarized from ol' Goethe. Because rhetoric matter.
I've found this to be one of the most powerful exercises in the book and I still use it frequently, especially when uncertain or in states of heightened emotion. Like you, I've adapted the language a little ("I call upon the guidance of the Secret/Hidden part of mySelf. Abrahadabra!"). This kind of personalisation is a good thing to do as the curriculum progresses. Yes, the training wheels of another's script is useful if one is absolutely new to the terrain but that move in favour of what's personally meaningful is a transition from Neophyte to Initiate.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Jan Fries' Kaula Kali has a number of interesting exercises interspersed throughout the text. One is visualizing a sacrifice from the point of view of the person sponsoring the sacrifice, the animal, and the god sacrificed to. (Though Fries seems a bit too unicorns and balloons smiley-faced when it comes to how humane sacrifices in India are. I mean, yes, one can cut a throat neatly and cleanly. But it's still getting one's throat cut from the goat's POV.) In any event, the exercise is worth going through in visualization.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Just giving the thread a bump. I recommended working through Webb's book to someone here today. But with Wintruz retired from the forum, it did not seem needful to keep a record of my energy inventory &c, plus post here. I will say, though, that Webb's material is worth working at. I have noted changes in me worth undergoing.